Skip to content

So, the AI just cast Detect Evil on me ... (and other unusual feats by enemy spellcasters)

YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
... and discovered that true evil is within himself.

How do I defend against such dastardly tactics?
(I tried a Minor Sequencer of 2 x Infravision -- but it only served to reveal that the way to go back home was with me all along.)
Post edited by Ygramul on
JonelethIrenicusSCARY_WIZARDjackjackCrevsDaakJLeecmk24BlackravenSethDavisDJKajuruthe_spyderwoowoovoodoo

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    ... and on a more series note, the Yuan Ti Mage on d'Arnise Keep casts a Teleport Field that not only mangles my melee rush, but effectively Mazes away Jaheira for the battle past a door that she cannot go through in the next hallway. And also manages to send a Dire Wolf summon into a room full trolls next door who promptly rush in to join the fray.

Well done, Yuan Ti Mage.

(I eventually succeeded by dashing out of the Room, casting my single Cloud Kill, and then when the wounded mage gave chase it got hit with an alpha strike of every offensive spell I had. The no-reload run continues!)

So, what are your weird experiences with the spell-casting AI?

DJKajururufus_hobartCrevsDaak
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ygramul said:

(I tried a Minor Sequencer of 2 x Infravision -- but it only served to reveal that the way to go back home was with me all along.)

Couldn't you have just clicked your ruby slippers three times for that?

Ygramul said:

Couldn't you have just clicked your ruby slippers three times for that?
    Ruby Slippers of Reversal is an 8th level spell. My party just got out of the Dungeon of Oz... err.... Irenicus, and cannot yet cast that spell.
    the_spyderrecklessheartCrevsDaak
    (Besides to cast the Ruby Slippers THREE times you need it in a Chain Contingency : you can only do that late in ToB.)
    recklessheart
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ah... Drink a milk saucer... ahem.... potion of courage and buck up. One day You will be king of the jungle. Unless the flying monkeys dukey on you....
    CrevsDaak
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    greywolf drinking potions? is this a scs tactic mod? because i have never seen him drink potions/drop them before
    Blackraven
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    sarevok57 said:

greywolf drinking potions? is this a scs tactic mod? because i have never seen him drink potions/drop them before

Yeah I guess scs mod adds all these cool tactics used by enemies. Don't remember any enemy spellcaster using detect evil or teleport field in the vanilla game either.

BlackravenCrevsDaakrecklessheart
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    lunar said:

sarevok57 said:

Yeah I guess scs mod adds all these cool tactics used by enemies. Don't remember any enemy spellcaster using detect evil or teleport field in the vanilla game either.

None cross greywolf a...

*gulp*

(but seriously though he doesn't even have any potions in the vanilla so its definitely a mod).
    lunarCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @lunar‌ Teleport Field is a favorite when it comes to SCS mages and improved script mods. It's darn cheesy and very good for protection.
    lunar
    edited September 2014
    I think Spell Revisions used to give a saving throw (every round) to Teleport Field.

Too bad Spell Revisions don't work with EE.
    Post edited by Ygramul on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    CrevsDaak said:

@lunar‌ Teleport Field is a favorite when it comes to SCS mages and improved script mods. It's darn cheesy and very good for protection.

I agree, especially if it is cast multiple times the fields stack. The enemies will be randomly teleporting two to three times a round and it will mess up their targetting. Also, if the enemy has a slow weapon he won't be able to attack at all. Because if a character walks up to someone to melee, his weapon iniative is reset and weapon speed is calculated again. That's why a fighter with a two handed sword usually swings empty (no attack roll) one or two times when he reaches a target to melee. Thus, a regular two handed sword wielder will find it very difficult to melee anything when affected by a teleport field. (Weapon enchantment, two handed weapon style bonuses, haste, kensai speed bonuses etc. can offset this though.)

Later in bg2 and ToB, scs enemies will use Sphere of Chaos spell too, visiually and thematically a very similiar spell to teleport field, since they both use the same animation and are generally not used by casual players. Indeed, at this level Mordenkainen Sword has lots of uses, Finger of Death is hugely powerful and satisfying, and Delayed Blast Fireball can even cook liches nicely. However, after witnessing poor Jaheira turning into dust in a Sphere of Chaos, I came to fear the spell and make it my priority to have all of my characters flee the Sphere (unless they have a save vs spells of 1 or lower) because the danger is great. This allows the enemy mage to have a breathing space from melee threat as meleers can't approach the mage due to fear of getting paralysed or disintegrated/polymorphed.

CrevsDaak