Skip to content

Keldorn Romance Mod?

AynataAynata Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
Hey!

Has anyone tried installing Berelinde's romance mod for Keldorn in BG2EE? Or is it compatible with BG2EE? I've tried searching the other modding website about it, but haven't found much. I remember it being pretty fun on regular BG2, though.

When I tried installing it in BG2EE it (weidu) just gave me an error about not having TOB installed. I just wasn't sure if there was anyway to make it work.

EDIT:
Ok! So I opened "setup-keldorn_rom.tp2" file with a text editor and discovered that it had a check for tob installation. I commented the line out and tried installing it again. It worked (Seemingly). In-game, I have had pid conversations with him, so it seems to be functioning correctly right now. Its too early in the romance to tell if there will problems with what I did or just general incompatibility with bg2 vs bg2ee stuff; I don't know much about that.

But hey, at least it might work. Yay!
Post edited by Aynata on
RavenslightBlackraven

Comments

• ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    Why would you want to romance Keldorn....he is technically a married man
    kaguana
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Maybe he's in an open relationship after finding out his wife was already?
    BlackravenRavenslight
    He is a Lawful good paladin I must remind you
    Right so being in an open marriage is what, chaotic evil?? Fidelity isnt important to his wife, so he may have made a new arrangement. Nothing evil about that.
    Ravenslight
    He made a marriage vow to his wife (most likely under the blessing of his temple/god) breaking that vow is still breaking his word (which is binding) to his wife and god, if this romance was to be made it would only make sense for him to become a fallen paladin.
    (quote from Forgotten realms wiki on paladins) All paladins are expected to be a paragon of their alignment and a model for others of their faith.
    I'm not sure I'm getting you right... are you arguing that an open marriage, after it has been found that one spouse is unfaithful, is Evil??

You cant be serious. An unfaithful spouse is a truly crappy person, but they arent evil because of that.

Also, I have yet to see anything stating Paladins cannot be in open marriages. Or that they fall if they chest on their spouse.
    semiticgoddess
    Paladins are the most holy of holy if you take a vow to be with your wife and only your wife for the rest of your life, even if the wife breaks that vow, the paladin would hold to his word (as a holy knight of a GOD) no matter what, breaking that vow and his word would be shunned upon by the church causing him to be a fallen paladin (am i saying an open relationship is evil....no, but they took a vow in marriage to be with each other and only each other) if a paladin breaks even the smallest rule its still a word and part of his paladin code, trust me I read the Forgotten realms books, I have seen my fair share of paladins and fallen paladins
    You are falling into the trap of nice vs good I think. Its decent, nice, classy and preferred to remain strictly loyal to your spouse, but this is not 'goodness'. Cheaters are total scum imo, but cheating doesnt qualify as an evil act.

And no, you arent reading the right books if you think this is how Paladin's work afaik. My area of expertise is 3.x, but I've read through other settings, and have quite the heap of rule books now. The closest I know of is Soth Dargaard, and he fell because he was an all around awful person, not due to his infidelity.

@ZanathKariashi‌ am I missing something? Nothing I've seen in the rules was bonkers enough to claim infidelity (or more relevant, an open marriage) as grounds for falling. I've heard of especially hated DMs that consider lying sufficient, no matter how small and irrelevant the lie. But this tends to self correct when nobody plays with them anymore. ;)
    Ravenslight
    edited September 2014
    I'm just saying Keldorn is not the type of person to do this I mean he even considers reporting his wife to the law for being with another man, and they would kill her, do you think he would be down with doing something like this? "Cheaters are total scum imo, but cheating doesnt qualify as an evil act." really?
    I think he probably wouldnt be, but this a mod we're talking about, right? Its non-cannon, and while following rules is nice, its not really required. Think of it as an alternate reality.
    I'm used to lore friendly mod
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2014
    DreadKhan said:

You are falling into the trap of nice vs good I think. Its decent, nice, classy and preferred to remain strictly loyal to your spouse, but this is not 'goodness'. Cheaters are total scum imo, but cheating doesnt qualify as an evil act.

And no, you arent reading the right books if you think this is how Paladin's work afaik. My area of expertise is 3.x, but I've read through other settings, and have quite the heap of rule books now. The closest I know of is Soth Dargaard, and he fell because he was an all around awful person, not due to his infidelity.

@ZanathKariashi‌ am I missing something? Nothing I've seen in the rules was bonkers enough to claim infidelity (or more relevant, an open marriage) as grounds for falling. I've heard of especially hated DMs that consider lying sufficient, no matter how small and irrelevant the lie. But this tends to self correct when nobody plays with them anymore. ;)

Because he's legally married and the paladin code requires that the paladin abide by all laws of a given land even if he disagrees with them as long as they're just and fair (and since his own church probably officiated the wedding, he would be openly breaking a marriage vow to his own god or another good god), and it consecrated before the god/s he worshipers or reveres.

Breaking that bond himself without first going through the proper legal channels to annul the marriage after evidence of her infidelity FIRST before pursuing a new relationship would be the same as just outright saying he was retiring from being a paladin straight up. That isn't even a thought crime which some people tend to give a little bit of leeway to (even though RAW a 2nd edition paladin should fall immediately for even considering it seriously as a possibility anythign that would be unlawful or nongood, though it won't necessarily be permanent just for thinking it though they would have to seek atonement for their moment of mental weakness to regain their abilities), that's just flat out willing breaking your vows straight up and would result in immediate, permanent falling, and possibly even legal action from the local government if his wife discovered it and challenged him first.

that's the LAWFUL part of the lawful good a paladin is ironclad required to up-hold.

And it's clearly not an open marriage because he's ready to take his wife to court immediately over it until the PC talks him out of it (if you talk him out of it), despite being conflicted over it since he realizes that he is partly to blame for not finding a better balance between his duty and his obligations as a husband, both of which were sworn before the gods and are of roughly equal significance as a result since his own paladin vows also mean he must uphold his marriage vows as well.

Even in 3rd edition you would immediately for something like that and it's rules for falling are MUCH looser then 2nd editions are.
    ZakharonAynatascriver
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I have never played this mod, but it is one that sounds interesting to me. I’m a little confused though. I don’t know how the author handles this, but how can it be a question of whether Keldorn is cheating when it was his wife who first broke her vows. From that point on the marriage is already broken. I don’t feel you can cheat on a cheater unless the couple agrees to again vow their commitment to each other. And even if one believes you can, is that what Keldorn does in the mod? Behind his wife’s back? Marriage relationships are complicated and as individualized as the people involved. This situation doesn’t feel black and white to me. It sounds like an interesting situation to explore. How will all the parties involved handle it.

As for what is considered good or evil for a Paladin. As much as I would like to, I’ve never had the opportunity to play table top DnD and know little of the official rules. I bow to the judgment of those who do know on such matters. Still, it doesn’t make sense to me that infidelity is considered an evil act, as bad as killing an innocent. Even if this is so, as I understand it, it is common for the DM to set house rules for such things. Surely a player has the right to set their own house rules in their single player game.

I have never played this mod, but it is one that sounds interesting to me. I’m a little confused though. I don’t know how the author handles this, but how can it be a question of whether Keldorn is cheating when it was his wife who first broke her vows. From that point on the marriage is already broken. I don’t feel you can cheat on a cheater unless the couple agrees to again vow their commitment to each other. And even if one believes you can, is that what Keldorn does in the mod? Behind his wife’s back? Marriage relationships are complicated and as individualized as the people involved. This situation doesn’t feel black and white to me. It sounds like an interesting situation to explore. How will all the parties involved handle it.

As for what is considered good or evil for a Paladin. As much as I would like to, I’ve never had the opportunity to play table top DnD and know little of the official rules. I bow to the judgment of those who do know on such matters. Still, it doesn’t make sense to me that infidelity is considered an evil act, as bad as killing an innocent. Even if this is so, as I understand it, it is common for the DM to set house rules for such things. Surely a player has the right to set their own house rules in their single player game.

Well, the Paladin would still keep his word (in the marriage vow even though she cheated, him being lawful good would make it that he would either take her to court for her cheating, or try to forgive her for her betrayal, the paladin would never sink to the lows of "revenge" cheating)
    OzzyBotkinsscriver

DreadKhan said:

Because he's legally married and the paladin code requires that the paladin abide by all laws of a given land even if he disagrees with them as long as they're just and fair (and since his own church probably officiated the wedding, he would be openly breaking a marriage vow to his own god or another good god), and it consecrated before the god/s he worshipers or reveres.

Breaking that bond himself without first going through the proper legal channels to annul the marriage after evidence of her infidelity FIRST before pursuing a new relationship would be the same as just outright saying he was retiring from being a paladin straight up. That isn't even a thought crime which some people tend to give a little bit of leeway to (even though RAW a 2nd edition paladin should fall immediately for even considering it seriously as a possibility anythign that would be unlawful or nongood, though it won't necessarily be permanent just for thinking it though they would have to seek atonement for their moment of mental weakness to regain their abilities), that's just flat out willing breaking your vows straight up and would result in immediate, permanent falling, and possibly even legal action from the local government if his wife discovered it and challenged him first.

that's the LAWFUL part of the lawful good a paladin is ironclad required to up-hold.

And it's clearly not an open marriage because he's ready to take his wife to court immediately over it until the PC talks him out of it (if you talk him out of it), despite being conflicted over it since he realizes that he is partly to blame for not finding a better balance between his duty and his obligations as a husband, both of which were sworn before the gods and are of roughly equal significance as a result since his own paladin vows also mean he must uphold his marriage vows as well.

Even in 3rd edition you would immediately for something like that and it's rules for falling are MUCH looser then 2nd editions are.
    Thank you lol
    chrstnmonks
  • AynataAynata Member Posts: 3
    Woah! I didn't expect all this.

Well, the author uses the Maria + Keldorn marriage trouble to official end the marriage between them. He spends most of SOA torn up about it, but warming up to charname (if you wish-its easy to tell him to stop). Then an "official relationship happens in TOB.

Honestly, I didn't really think of romancing Keldorn from a roleplaying perspective (What would paladins do in a situation?, that is), it was just cool to experience another romance with one of main/original bg 2 cast. And I think Berlinde's fits pretty well in terms of relationships and the like. There's no - "Sleep with me now!!!!" sort of stuff at all; very slow moving.

Here's a link from SHS here about the mod when she was beta-testing. In the pages, you can also find a link to download the latest beta version if anyone is interested.

I've only ran into a few problems playing it with the EE's.
    1. Journal entries don't work (unsurprising since these have been a problem across a lot of mods)
    2. Very few (2 as of right now) conversations freeze my game. If it happens, I just set his LT variable to the next conversation to continue the romance after reloading. No biggie!
    RavenslightBaldursCatscriver
  • AvenelAvenel Member Posts: 94
    I've never played the Keldorn romance mod, although I have been curious about it. I can see from a storywriting view point how it could work, and, while I have never been one for DnD rulebooks and whatever, I see how there are possibilities for characters to 'fall', or to maintain their alignment while struggling with the 'grey' in black and white scenarios. In my opinion, this makes for better writing. After all, there are some who might consider Kivan a fallen ranger given that he is so thirsting for his revenge. Shades of grey are there for a reason, and in my opinion, they allow better character development.

As an aside, how many people are out there wanting the Keldorn mod tested for BG2EE?
    RavenslightBaldursCat
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Avenel said:

After all, there are some who might consider Kivan a fallen ranger given that he is so thirsting for his revenge.

Isn't Kivan specifically following a god of vengance? Therefore failing to get his revenge would cause him to fall wouldn't it?
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Yeah, Kivan worships Shevarash, and he's the Seldarine of Crusades, Hatred of Drow, Loss, and Vengeance.

So, basically, considering who Kivan worships, he isn't going to fall because Shevarash is all for revenge, as well as all the drow killing Kivan gets to do in his BG2 mod.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Er, that's actually fan creation. Domi made that up for the BG1NPC project, and continued it for her BG2 Kivan mod.

(Technically, as far as I'm aware, it's actually not possible for Kivan to follow Shevarash canonly, as Shevarash doesn't accept ranger followers in AD&D and FR rangers have to follow a nature god. However, it still fits his personality.)
  • JaeldynJaeldyn Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2014
    Maybe not Evil, But definitely not Lawful either. Would have worked if he worshipped a chaotic good god or something tho, since paladin are supposed to get the same alignment as his god, but since he worships Torm ...
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Hmm. Weird, because according to Shevarash's FR wiki page that some of his worshipers are rangers.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shevarash

I haven't really found anything that says that Shevarash won't take rangers. In fact, the only contradictory thing that I've found so far was the alignment of Shevarash's worshipers. Which varies from CG, CN, and CE. To LG, NG, CG, CN, LN, and N.

Hmm, like I said, weirdness.

Now as for Keldorn. I've been curious about this mod, but I don't think its BG2EE compatible yet.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Hey, not been around for a while but it's good to see this mod getting some love, I've been a cheerleader for it around here before. I think the likelihood of it being beta tested for BG2EE is small, given that it's officially never moved out of beta for the original game. I know Berelinde's still happy to accept feedback & error reports (over at the petals & thorns forum, though I struggled to find the forum a while ago) so I'm sure she'll be happy to hear from you if you're running it in EE.
    Ravenslight
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I'm hoping that someday that someone will. Make a romance mod for Mazzy
    DreadKhanRavenslight

I'm hoping that someday that someone will. Make a romance mod for Mazzy

Just lookin' for a little love, huh?
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396

Just lookin' for a little love, huh?

Us shorties need love and we are not getting our fair share
    have Mazzy romancable by good shorties

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Does anyone have a walkthrough for Keldorn mod? I'm looking to find the warehouse supposed to be in the slums, near the docked ship.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Arthas From the readme:
    The livery will point to the safe house in the Gov't district. Keldorn has to take you there. If it's daylight when you find the livery, he'll offer to take you
    immediately, or you can ask him to take you there later via PID.
    I'm sorry I can't help more atm.