Skip to content

Why is "shapeshifter" considered such a poor class?

I was surprised recently to see a thread where shapeshifter was rated as one of the 3 worst classes in the game, right alongside wizard slayer and beastmaster. I then looked back over some archived threads, and I saw that this is actually a widely-held opinion.

I've meddled around with shapeshifter characters a bit, but I've never done an earnest playthrough. Still, I don't see what jumps out as being so terrible about them, unlike beastmaster or wizard slayer. I know that they can't wear armor, but that just means that the character (when not in werewolf form) needs to be treated with the same care as a typical mage. When in werewolf form (which they can maintain for an indefinite amount of time), they seem to be a surprisingly handy tank, or at least a flanker, especially in BG1. It seems to me that a werewolf is one of the very best shapeshifting forms available to a druid, perhaps rivaled only by the avenger's spider form, and (unlike the other druid shapeshifts) is available from level 1 onward. It also seems to make a single class druid much more useful in the early stages of BG1, where they don't really have any powerful spells other than healing.

On the flipside, I have read a number of comments about the werewolf form being "bugged," but I couldn't quite understand what the issue there is.

So what am I missing here? What makes the shapeshifter considered so bad by so many people? And what are the supposedly "buggy" issues with the werewolf form, and is it still bugged?

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I also really like how shapeshifters get the greater werewolf form at level 14, so they don't have to wait until they've cleared the level 15 experience marathon.
  • SionaSiona Member Posts: 79
    edited September 2014
    Shapeshifter is my favorite class. Here's a post I made on this very subject, in defense of the fun and viability of the shifter:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/527068/#Comment_527068

In essence, you are exactly and completely correct.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I also really like how shapeshifters get the greater werewolf form at level 14, so they don't have to wait until they've cleared the level 15 experience marathon.

They get it at level 13.
    elminster said:

They get it at level 13.
    Oh, even better!
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2014
    Because he's a gimped Druid. The shapeshifting is simply horrible and doesn't scale well at all late game, where as a wizard has some fantastic shapeshafting possibilites. The greater werewolf was probably nerfed to avoid imbalance at early stages, however late game SoA-ToB the Greater Werewolf is not so great anymore, no reg, underwhelming damage, rarely hits his targets. The Shapeshifter/Fighter dual class is however quite good thanks to the fighter great thaco progression and GW HLA.
    edited September 2014
    I just confirmed that the greater werewolf armor gives -16 AC (or rather -6 in the normal Bg format for suit of armor bonuses). Wow.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    I really like Shapeshifters with the improved shapeshifting component of SCS. Rip a few limbs off, cast a spell, repeat as necessary.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014

Because he's a gimped Druid. The shapeshifting is simply horrible and doesn't scale well at all late game, where as a wizard has some fantastic shapeshafting possibilites. The greater werewolf was probably nerfed to avoid imbalance at early stages, however late game SoA-ToB the Greater Werewolf is not so great anymore, no reg, underwhelming damage, rarely hits his targets. The Shapeshifter/Fighter dual class is however quite good thanks to the fighter great thaco progression and GW HLA.

You are thinking of it as an offensive kit when it really is more of a defensive one. With -10 AC (not including any spells or items to improve that) and Iron Skins you can take a lot of attacks against you. All thanks to something that you gain access to at 750,000xp.

Its really only ToB or very rare battles in SoA (dragons would be an example) where it has issues defensively. Even Iron/Adamantine Golems, who normally have very low Thac0 by SoA standards (they have -3 Thac0) will have difficulty hurting you if you are decently equipped (like wearing the amulet that grants poison immunity/are level 15 and have Iron Skins active). You won't be able to hurt them but that is what the rest of your group is for.

Plus honestly in SoA you can make it work as an offensive kit if you really want, but its more in-line with the offensive abilities of a non-warrior. There are some exploits that still work with the kit that can help here. For instance if you have a weapon equipped on your off-hand slot it will give you another APR when you are in form. Couple that with an Improved Haste spell and with the GW form you've got 8 APR. While its true your kit doesn't scale with level even enemies late into SoA tend to have surprisingly bad AC compared to your own party. A mind flayer for instance has 5 AC, a beholder/gauth has 0, Kuo-Toa have 4 to 5, the elementals you encounter in the underdark have around 2, most vampires have between 1 to -2, etc. At levels 13 to 15 with around 6 Thac0 (with the helm of balduran and gauntlets of weapon skill) you definitely won't hit them as much as a fighter would but the situations not as bad as its made out to be.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Shapeshifter isn't a bad class at all. I really like it. I believe a lot of the ire comes from the fact that mechanically you can call on Keldorn/Korgan/Minsc/Jahiera/Viconia to fill any of the roles that Cernd can double in. It's a great class, though not as balanced or reliable as some other classes/multi-classes that do the same thing.

I've never played a Druid. I do like Cernd though, and even if he is inferior to some others, you always need to change it up. If I were to play with the best party every time, I would never get rid of Edwin or Keldorn, but that would get dull quickly in my opinion.

I believe a lot of the ire comes from the fact that mechanically you can call on Keldorn/Korgan/Minsc/Jahiera/Viconia to fill any of the roles that Cernd can double in.

What are you talking about? Since when can Keldorn, Korgan or Viconia cast druid spells? Since when can Minsc cast high level druid spells?

As for Jaheira, it takes much longer for her to become a level 15 druid than it takes Cernd.

I might be wrong on this, but I think some people just assume that a shapeshifter has to be just as good at attacking as a fighter. No! If a shapeshifter could turn into a greater werewolf and be just as good as a fighter, then what would be the point of using a fighter? I'm happy that Cernd can get anywhere close to being as good at attacking as a fighter.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2014
    The only major nitpick with the shapeshifter that I've had is the change takes a round to cast, which is annoying because it makes me have to back off now and again and take 2 whole rounds to un-transform and reapply Iron Skins etc. When I had mods to turn it into an equipped weapon I found myself using it more.

I don't think it's an underpowered class. The first time I used it I was less than impressed, but it's still a competent divine caster and the shapeshift is useful in a pinch. I only wish it felt more like an integral part of the kit rather than just something for the druid to do once he runs out of spells.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Slayer has plenty of drawbacks to make it pointless, gw is at least useable.
    @Siona‌

Even better than Balduran's helm is Vhailor's helm. If Cernd has the staff of thunder and lightning or the staff of the woodlands, the simulacrum can just spam those abilities all day long.

Another thing is that the simulacrum would be able to shapeshift into a greater werewolf even if the simulacrum isn't actually level 13 yet (as long as the real shapeshifter is at that level). I'm pretty sure that's the case.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    My problem with shapeshifters is that their main ability is to take a round and transform themselves into sub-par fighters.

Defensively they are similar to warriors while shapeshifted until around level 15. Attacks per round is similar to an equivalent level warrior. However THACO is worse and damage is significantly worse - 1d6 damage is very poor and the strength bonus is similar to a warrior + strength belt. Once warriors start getting HLA's there's no comparison as shapeshifters don't get any better.

Untransformed they are just a druid who can't wear armor.

If I want a warrior, I use a warrior. If I want a divine caster I use a cleric (who mainly have more useful spells). If I want a bit of both then I use a fighter/cleric or fighter/druid (or even the cheesy ranger/cleric). Essentially, whatever I want from my party member, there are always better options than a shapeshifter.

And, for the cherry on top, Cernd (the NPC shapeshifter) is awful as a character (at least I think so). I realise this isn't anything to do with his class, but it kinda rubs off.
    edited September 2014
    karnor00 said:

My problem with shapeshifters is that their main ability is to take a round and transform themselves into sub-par fighters.

Agreed, the shapeshift feels a waste of a round.
    karnor00 said:

Defensively they are similar to warriors while shapeshifted until around level 15. Attacks per round is similar to an equivalent level warrior. However THACO is worse and damage is significantly worse - 1d6 damage is very poor and the strength bonus is similar to a warrior + strength belt. Once warriors start getting HLA's there's no comparison as shapeshifters don't get any better.

Well, yes, a fighter will always be a better fighter than a shapeshifter, but if a shapeshifter can compete with a fighter at all stages of the game, why have a fighter?
    karnor00 said:

Untransformed they are just a druid who can't wear armor.

Druids don't have that great of a need for armor. Unlike clerics they shouldn't be getting anywhere near combat, unless they're fighter/druids. Even if they do, they have Barkskin, which decreases base AC by a lot. At a mere level 8 (60000xp) it gives them base AC 4, which is probably better than any armor you could give at that point. (ok, aside from Ankheg Plate, but that always goes on my tank) And that's not even mentioning that they get Iron Skins.
    karnor00 said:

If I want a warrior, I use a warrior. If I want a divine caster I use a cleric (who mainly have more useful spells). If I want a bit of both then I use a fighter/cleric or fighter/druid (or even the cheesy ranger/cleric). Essentially, whatever I want from my party member, there are always better options than a shapeshifter.

I dunno about that, Fire Elemental and Insect Plague are invaluable to me, and Nature's Beauty works well even into ToB. Even Barkskin and Call Woodland Beings have their uses. Getting those spells fast and more casts of them additionally is a big thing.
    karnor00 said:

And, for the cherry on top, Cernd (the NPC shapeshifter) is awful as a character (at least I think so). I realise this isn't anything to do with his class, but it kinda rubs off.

I agree Cernd's a bad character, but as a druid (straight druid, mind you) he's far from the worst possible thing available. Granted he's the only available, but he could be worse.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Cernd is a sub-par personality, but mechanicly is fine... he has wis, and can transform if needed to melee.
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    karnor00 said:

I, on the other hand, think Cernd is a breath of fresh air compared to the other CNPCs in the game. He actually a level headed dude who's smart and sensible, unlike some characters in the game that can be dicks at times (Jaheira, Edwin, etc).

I'm pretty sure the main reason that shapeshifter is considered a "poor" class is that it doesn't scale well in late ToB.

I believe this issue comes down to the classic dichotomy between the powergamer and the roleplayer. The powergamer is oriented, for purposes of BG, toward late ToB. I think the powergamers only really care about whether a character can "pwn" ToB or not.

Honestly, anything can pwn late game ToB. Most HLA are strong and you get a whole bunch of overpowered equipment. Perhaps pure druids don't get fighter HLA, but I fine HLA spell extremely late game.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    At high level a GW is pretty useless. They can't even cast or deal consequent amount of melee damage. And it is not like you can really play as a tank. Maybe in a situation where you are out of spell...

On top of that, those elemental transformation that any druid can have access to, are as good as the gw if not better.

It is a roleplay class it is how I see it, a fighter/druid will wrecked a shapeshifter anyday. So it's really not for its performance that you will play a shapeshifter.

It's a class that needs serious improvement, maybe good regeneration like those ones that you fight. Or maybe poison claw? or permanently hasted? hide in shadows with backstabb ability? detect illusion? or simple a much better thaco.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    edited September 2014
    @OlvynChuru I'm talking about the fact that as a frontline combatant, there is nothing that Cernd can do as a Shapeshifted character that surpasses what Keldorn/Korgan/Minsc can do with the right equipment attached to give them matching magic resistance. There are no spells Cernd can cast that Jaheira cannot cast. Cernd cannot cast spells and hold the frontline simultaneously; in this respect, Jaheira once again trumps him. As for Viconia, well, she gets access to a similar pool of Divine spells, plus she has the potential to reach sinfully low ACs and has natural magic resistance.

You have space for 5 party members; plenty of room to take along two of these characters and overshadow Cernd's ability to perform either role.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    The problem is that the form doesn't scale, so while it kicks arse at lvl13, it's basically downhill from there. Of course, at least for SoA, the greater form is perfectly acceptable, it's more just ToB where the combat moves towards 'insane' and you're better off spellcasting. It's not the only class/kit which suffers transitioning to the epic levels but it's maybe more annoying because the defining feature of the kit (the reason why you pick it) becomes less and less viable and you end up with being mostly just a spellcasting Druid (which is totally fine but if you wanted to play that then you would have picked a different kit or gone pure). In this way it doesn't please powergamers nor roleplayers and there have been many attempts to improve the kit by modders.

It's a bit exaggerated though. You'd rather be spellcasting in most boss fights anyway and just keeping the shapeshifts for the weaker enemies to save spells so it's not really all that different. But there's little reason to pick it over the Avenger.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Siona said:

You'll find most of the people who dislike shifters, say it's "horrible", etc... have never played it, at least for any extended period of time, and certainly not through the entire series.

Why should they even try to play this class? Is there a possibility that most people simple don't like the druid class at all? Imagine how they feel just looking at the shifter's description =)
    I know, the "druids spells" blah blah blah... But it is not a strong argument at all.
    The best reason to like this class would be a good strong (personality) shifter NPC in the game. We don't have any...
    From what I know, most players go for Paladins and Mages in the BG games. Then Thieves and Fighters. The druid class is the least playable class in BG. Maybe thats the real reason?
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598

What are you talking about? Since when can Keldorn, Korgan or Viconia cast druid spells? Since when can Minsc cast high level druid spells?

As for Jaheira, it takes much longer for her to become a level 15 druid than it takes Cernd.

Cernd also can't cast spells while in combat in his wolf form.
    And that is the main reason why this class sucks.

Next you'll say, that he's not a tank or a DD - his main role is supporting and spellcasting. Right?
    Then why even bother to pick the shifter class if we can pick a vanilla druid class or other kits with more spellcasting benefits?
    edited September 2014
    Because the other druid classes, aside from the Avenger, are arguably worse?

Regular druid... no, just no. Barkskin = who gives a f*ck about armor.

The totemic druid summons scale even worse than the werewolf shapeshift imo. I have never once thought 'gee, so glad I had that spirit to help me'! Not to mention 1 Death Spell = bye bye.

That leaves the Shapeshifter and Avenger. Do you want a caster druid with some neat mage spells to up his versatility as well as some niche use extra shifts or one with some (admittedly meager) melee prowess when his spells run out while advancing in levels faster than the fighter/druid multiclass? That's your call.