Skip to content

Online dating seems a bit odd.

13»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

DreadKhan said:

Online contact has basicly nothing in common with real life... trying to take an online relationship (romantic or platonic) offline is not very productive.

Its like people shacking up before getting married: in theory, you are 'testing compatability', but in reality you're just screwing around. People dont behave the same after getting married.

uh... I completely disagree.
    A. I've known multiple happy, lasting marriages that were established through online dating. My cousin met his wife online back before online dating was even a major thing (1998!). I know of multiple other couples that met the same way
    B. I think you have a distorted view on what online dating is. It is not as if the two people chat online for years on end only to finally decide to get married and come together. Online dating (from what I understand from people who have tried it successfully) is only for the initial stages of getting to know someone moderately well and THEN meeting up and going the next step. I seriously doubt it would be an "online relationship" as you describe, since they would normally have met in person before it got that serious.

The second part of that post I agree with wholeheartedly.
    I know of many, many more people for whom online dating did not lead to marriage. I freely admit my views are pretty out there on dating and the like, so you needn't adhere to my opinions. You are better off chatting up randoms imo, if you're looking. Heck, even an anachronastic curmudgeon like myself enjoys some light chatting.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    DreadKhan said:

I know of many, many more people for whom online dating did not lead to marriage.

Yeah, but I know a bazillion people who did conventional dating that did not lead to marriage... that is hardly an indictment on the entire practice.

Heck, my boy @CaloNord‌ not only met his girl online... but proposed to her on this very forum! I think there is a certain benefit to online dating for some people. Its not for me, but I can see the appeal and wouldn't write it off entirely.
    CaloNord
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I totally missed this thread! :O Cheers @booinyoureyes‌!

Yes, it can be a little odd, you can troll up some people where it's pretty obvious the reason they're single. . . however, occasionally you can get lucky. It was great for us, neither of us were really looking for a relationship at the time nor were we on a dating website. But, we're both socially awkward and rather busy so getting out to more 'traditional' places you meet prospective mates was not going to be a thing. :P

Never the less, I find it's easier to just go with the flow of life.
    booinyoureyesBlackraven
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Besides, the forum seemed like the place to do it! ;) She wanted unique and wanted lots of people to know! Now not only do they know but they're actively involved! :) Everyone was such a great sport about that! :)
    BlackravenTarotMasterlolien
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Boo, gotta point out that the number marriages traceable to online dsting are statisticly insignificant. :/ Due to rounding, ~100% of marriages have been from other means. Now, online is very new, but its not got a great track record. My personal favourite strategy is probably arranged marriages. They arent perfect, but most people's parents have a good grasp of whst you ought to be looking for in a mate, and due to personal experience, what you shouldnt be looking for. But this isnt really a thing in much of the world.

I will never consider online dating an option. For one, I am not remotely at a time in my life where a relationship is possible, and frankly, I'm not holding my breath hoping for a change. Besides, I'm too picky. ;)
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    The problems with online dating, and the reason why I wouldn't consider it, are:

1) what you want, and what you think you want, are often two different things. You might think you need somebody who checks all of your boxes (right height, right colour hair, into the same films, music and games you are, etc) but the reality is that when you meet the right person, none of that matters (or so I'm told...I've yet to experience this ;-) ).

2) people who do online dating usually do so for a reason...let's just say that it's not generally because they're constantly receiving attention from potential matches in the real world.

3) from what I've been told, it usually happens when you least expect it, which is why trying to force the match by formalising the whole dating procedure doesn't generally work.

Sure, it might work sometimes, but in Calonord's case, he didn't join this site with the intention of finding a companion. It just happened. I think the problem people have is that it's called "online DATING", so people enter into it with certain expectations, and it ends up not working for the above reasons. Would you walk up to a girl in real life and say "Hey, I'm looking for a girlfriend! You seem to be looking for a boyfriend, and judging by your Lacuna Coil t-shirt, we like the same music, so would you like to go on a date with me on those grounds?" XD
    TarotMaster
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    DreadKhan said:

Boo, gotta point out that the number marriages traceable to online dsting are statisticly insignificant. :/ Due to rounding, ~100% of marriages have been from other means. Now, online is very new, but its not got a great track record.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2013/06/03/a-third-of-recently-married-couples-met-online-and-theyre-more-satisfied-and-less-likely-to-split-up/
    Drugar
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Meeting quite a few interesting women so far. The flirting is a bit dry with some but still nice to just talk about whatever. I am also bumping into people I met before lol