Skip to content

Potion of Heroism

After I finish the game I usually have epic stacks of these potions left over. Who benefits most from them. Am I reading it right that THACO is reduced to 90 percent or increased by 90 percent.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    It sets your Thac0 to 90% of its current value, so Thac0 8 becomes Thac0 7 and so on. The Thac0 boost becomes less useful as your fighters advance in level but is generally always good for at least a boost of 1 point; however, the hit point boost is always useful so my fighters run with the script "if I see an enemy and I am not already using a potion of heroism or giant strength and I have a potion of heroism then I will use it".
    In the old days I used to hoard potions and would wind up with too many; these days I am following the gaming philosophy "use it while you have it".
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I always find myself with tons of potions by the end as well.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

It sets your Thac0 to 90% of its current value, so Thac0 8 becomes Thac0 7 and so on. The Thac0 boost becomes less useful as your fighters advance in level but is generally always good for at least a boost of 1 point; however, the hit point boost is always useful so my fighters run with the script "if I see an enemy and I am not already using a potion of heroism or giant strength and I have a potion of heroism then I will use it".
    In the old days I used to hoard potions and would wind up with too many; these days I am following the gaming philosophy "use it while you have it".

In JRPGs I had a totally novel strategy of 'hoarde everything and just grind like a madman to get so high level the final boss is a joke', which was timeconsuming but satisfying. 'See! I beat the boss with only 1 item used, and it was practically mandatory! So what if I spent TWO DAYS grinding...'
  • dashteacupdashteacup Member Posts: 52
    Thieves and Bards with UAI benefit from these potions in late game. They both have poor THACO and HP, and this helps with both. Late in the game, you can afford to give this to your rogue in every non-trivial battle. Potions of invulnerability and strength potions are also good for rogues. Utilize UAI as much as you can. I usually end up giving them a scroll case full of useful spells that don't scale with level (or are so awesome that they're worth it anyways, like stoneskin).
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Be heroic. Drink heavily.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Damnit, for a moment I thought some kinky Alchemist created a "Potion of Hedonism"!
    ... It appears I really need some stronger glasses....
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    In some edition of ADD [the manuals I own] Potion of Heroism yields a greater benefit for lower level NPCs, essentially turning them into Level 4+ fighters. I assume that is not the case in BG, but then maybe I am wrong....