Skip to content

[Windows Tablet] Level up causes crash in bgIIEe

RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
edited October 2014 in Troubleshooting
In a nutshell: Jaheira gains experience to level up at some point during the breakout from irenicus prison. Click on "record", click on "level up" aaaand crash. Every single time. both with imported character and freshly created one. You can try any of these saves, they all end in a crash when i try to level up any character.
my system is a samsung ativ smartpc 500t. 1.8 ghz atom processor, 2gb ram and intel gma 3600 runnimg windows 8/8.1 (i tried both).
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    I've just tried save 37 and it works for me @Recil‌

Jaheira level-ups may be affected by language settings, to confirm/eliminate this are you using English both for the game and for Windows or do you use another language in one/both?
    lolien
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    english for both
    will try save 37 again
    Did not work. Where would I look to see what language "setting" i'm using for BGIIEE?
    Ah, looks like BGII:EE doesn't have a language option. If your text is in English and your Windows locale is English it can't be that anyway.

I'd like to check you have the patch from November installed. There should be a build-date.txt in the game install folder, mine has Thu Nov 21 14:54:23 MST 2013 so assume yours should be the same. If it isn't and you're not sure how to update please advise whether you are using the Beamdog launcher, standalone launcher or Steam.

& could you zip a matched save and crash up please, I think the devs will need them to correspond and at the moment your folder of multiple saves and multiple crashes wouldn't allow them to do so.
    Thanks
    Yes, I have the same build date. Here would be a relevant save/dmp zipped up.
    Any mods installed? (wish I'd thought of that question earlier)
    didn't even know there were mods working with the enhanced edition, so nope, no mods.
    I'm going to move this to the troubleshooting area @Recil as it isn't something I can reproduce.

Some thoughts on what next.
    - Have you rebooted since install (i.e. do you reboot often or use sleep / hibernate instead).
    - Does a re-install help.
    - Do you have another computer you could try it on. Having looked briefly at the 500t it sounds like the Atom processor handles x86 software but there might be all sorts of caveats or considerations there.
    Thanks
    Have rebooted many times since this issue cropped up. Have reinstalled the game itself twice.
    currently have no alternative to the tablet-pc I'm using as I am deployed overseas. I understand it is not a gaming system, but it plays BGEE very well so I was hoping I could continue the character. I'm thinking it might be one of my drivers doing it, but I can't really say which it might be. thanks for the attempt. I'll keep trying.
    OK, good luck. There are options around graphics and audio in the ini file that could be changed to see if they help.
    No luck. Remains a persistent problem. Cannot figure out anything. Could I perhaps get a quick list of settings I might try tweaking?
    completely fresh install. Uninstalled all instances of BG:EE and BG2:EE, as well as cleaning the registry of all the debris. Rebooted. Downloaded game and installed again. Everything looks golden, imported my character. tooled around the dungeon for a bit, and when jaheira levels up...i click the button in order to...crash. Will now try to just create a fresh character and see how that ends up.
    Just sort of talking to myself I suppose, but here's another tidbit of information: Managed to get out of irenicus prison by not leveling anyone. Leveled up Jaheira succesfully, but when my main character leveled up, I hit the button and it crashed again in waukeen promenade. ugh.
    Blah, blah blah, application hangs if I press either level up or push the "information" key. Can press any other keys on the records screen without incident. sent crash dumps and windows event to beamdog. Really irks me that I can reproduce this all day long and nobody else can.
    So, hey....yeah. Still broke. Reinstalled thrice. BG:EE works fine. BGII:EE = poop. Wonder when the 1.3 patch is coming for BGII:EE, cuz I'm now really hoping that is what fixes it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Someone should have pointed this out earlier--Windows tablets aren't officially supported for this game. Hopefully the next patch fixes the problem for you, but if it's hardware-related there's not much we can do.
    lolien
    im hoping. bg:ee runs without issues. i dont know what is fundamentally different between the two games.
    Okay, so...plan..."epsilon"...would there be anything disastrously wrong with simply playing the game and using EEKeeper to bump characters up a level each time they pop enough xp? Anyone?
    got it to work Once by going back to the initial autosave, hitting information...then loading the save after leveling...hit level up...worked, saved and exited. loaded up game and it would not repeat the performance. still crashing on hitting info or level up . are my saves simply corrupted all over the place?
    no idea how to tell.
    Just in case someone has a bolt from the blue ah-HAH bit of insight, my system specs:

Samsung Ativ SmartPC 500t
    Intel Atom z2760 (1.8ghz) 2 physical cores 4 logical cores
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 (w opengl 2.1 support)
    Windows 8.1 (not RT) with all updates applied
    Firmware/Updates from Samsung all applied
    64gb emmc hard drive
    64gb sdcard (not really applicable, as all game files are on the system disc)
    games installed to c:/Program Files/Baldur's....

BG2EE ver. 1.2.2030

Any help would be appreciated.
    One more thing...here is my baldur.ini file. I can't see anything clearly wrong with it, but mayhaps someone else has a more learned eye:

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Fonts', 'ko_KR', 'UNBOM',
    'Fonts', 'zh_CN', 'SIMSUN',
    'Fonts', 'ja_JP', 'MSGOTHIC',
    'Fonts', 'ru_RU', 'PERMIAN',
    'Fonts', 'uk_UA', 'PERMIAN',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
    'Graphics', 'version', '2.1',
    'Graphics', 'renderer', 'Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series',
    'Graphics', 'vendor', 'Intel Corporation',
    'MOVIES', 'LOGO', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'INTRO15F', '1',
    'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Mouse Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'GUI Feedback Level', '5',
    'Game Options', 'Locator Feedback Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Bored Timeout', '3000',
    'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Subtitles', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Keyboard Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'Command Sounds Frequency', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Selection Sounds Frequency', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Effect Text Level', '62',
    'Game Options', 'Infravision', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Weather', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tutorial State', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Attack Sounds', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause State', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause Center', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Difficulty Level', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Quick Item Mapping', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Environmental Audio', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Heal Party on Rest', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Terrain Hugging', '0',
    'Game Options', 'HP Over Head', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Critical Hit Screen Shake', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Hotkeys On Tooltips', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Area Effects Density', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Duplicate Floating Text', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tiles Precache Percent', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Color Circles', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Over Confirm Everything', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Pausing Map', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Extra Feedback', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Filter Games', '1',
    'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '0',
    'Graphics', 'Hardware Mouse Cursor', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Font Name', '',
    'Program Options', 'Double Byte Character Support', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Drop Capitals', '1',
    'Program Options', '3D Acceleration', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '30',
    'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '32000',
    'Program Options', 'Tooltips', '60',
    'Program Options', 'Translucent Shadows', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Sprite Mirror', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Gamma Correction', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Brightness Correction', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Backwards Compatible 3d', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Movie', '90',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Music', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Voices', '100',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Ambients', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume SFX', '80'
    );
  • blatantninjablatantninja Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2014
    ("the game" refers to BG:EE)

I know that the MS Surface Pro is not an officially supported device, but there are a decent amount of us out there using it, so hopefully this issue can get fixed.

Prior to the 1.3 patch, the game ran fine so long as you selected 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings' in the compatibility section of the file properties. With 1.3 though, the game no longer functions. Opening it from the Start Screen or even a desktop short cut never works, and running it directly from the EXE file only seems to work occasionally.

I finished the game with the 1.2 patch after rolling back, but my concern is that whatever was done in 1.3 will end up in an BG2EE patch and IWDEE thus making them unplayable as well.

Thanks!

Post edited by Gate70 on
    I've merged your topic into here @blatantninja‌, as earlier comments here mention BG:EE running well but that might no longer be the case for @Recil (& others) after the patch.
    Ok, thanks!
    Key difference with my tablet is that it runs full fledged windows 8.1 on an atom processor. Not the same animal as a surface.
    One key piece of troubleshooting "common sense" that i did NOT have for whatever reason was this: a corrupted save is not salvageable (at least in my case) and if whatever caused the crash is present in a save, it will not go away by tweaking settings (at least in my case). That being said, bg:ee runs swell. Bg2:ee also runs pretty swell, but apparently my imported character was corrupted from the get-go. Ive started over from scratch, reinstalled everything and deleted all the saves from before. Wish me luck.
    Gate70
    Recil said:

Key difference with my tablet is that it runs full fledged windows 8.1 on an atom processor. Not the same animal as a surface.

Surface Pro. It runs full fledged Windows 8.1, but on a Core i5.
    Ahh, i see. Okie doke. You should be in better shape than i am, then. My problem remains.
  • shevshev Member Posts: 1
    I am having this exact same error with Jaheria, only it's BGEE1. In the wilderness south of High Hedge, and Jaheria just leveled up (the first character to do so) and the game crashes with the EXACT same error message you're getting.