Skip to content

Evil NPCs and Party Reputation.

Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
Do all NPCs of Evil Alignment have the same tolerance for a Higher Party Reputation or are there some, such as Viconia perhaps, who will stick around longer, particularly if some Quest has been fulfilled.

I am particularly thinking about Shar-Teel dualled to Thief for a Chick-a-boom-boom all female party.

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    http://www.beamdog.com/files/bg2ee/bg2eemanual2.pdf

Page 13 of this doc shows how various alignments react to specific reputation scores.... If you plan to mix and match you have to balance your rep.
    Asking for a reward usually prevents a rep increase from quests.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I do want to get a high rep for purchasing such big-ticket items as I might opt for such as Greenstone Amulet, Wand of Sleep, Archmage Robes and then choose an interesting way to lower rep enough to keep the interest of Shar-Teel, Viconia, Kagain, Edwin, etc. I am planning a mostly neutral run in which Imoen is the Good pole and some other NPC is the Evil pole.

Charname has always assumed herself to be Good-Neutral with an occasional 'harmless' prank here and there [mostly at the expense of the Chanters] but now is wondering just what that "~YOU WILL LEARN!" voice is talking about. I know, obvious but actually a big reach for me!~ What can I say. -Presbyterian Missionary Grandparents!!
    @abacus Thanks. I see that Evil NPCs will be "unhappy" when Rep is 13-15 and "angry" from 16-18. Only "breaking" when Rep is 19+. I would assume the "angry" status increases their % likelihood of getting into fights with other party members but otherwise is meaningless except as a "heads-up"

Actually I think "angry" status ought to manifest in some way because I really like the RP-heavy playthrough style. Maybe I could manifest it by using random Level Up HPs for "angry" NPCs.
    I think it's mostly their dialogues/banters that change. Although, I could be wrong.
    Generally, I just pick either a black hat or a white hat.
    An interesting RP move would be to have the game treat 'angry' NPCs as fatigued... With all the repercussions that imposes. But I'm not sure how you could implement that...
    Using Meta-game knowledge I could also go with a Morale Check penalty based upon the formidability of any opponent faced while NPC is 'angry'. This I could do with 2d6 adjusted for current battle status. A failed morale check would simply mean the NPC would avoid melee and try to reposition himself first if called upon for a ranged attack.

The Meta-Game knowledge would be pre-evaluating the Monsters, etc. in any map with 'angry' NPC party members. Baseline would be Morale Failure on any 2d6 roll of 4 or less. This would be anything more challenging than generic Xvart, Gibberling, Kobold, Wild Dog, Gnoll nuisances. And then if you encounter something like Ogre Berserker it could become more likely.

Anyhow, something that would make it kinda stupid to prolong 'angry' status any more than necessary.