Skip to content

[Known 9790] Spell Immunity type spells in Contingencies/Spell Triggers

GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Reposting this as suggested by @Gate70. See original post here:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/531719/#Comment_531719
NOTE: This may or may not qualify as a feature request rather than a bug report

Existing behavior: Although the engine properly handles spell immunity menu type spells in a contingency, the 2 spells Spell Immunity (SPWI510) and Enchanted Weapon (SPWI417) are still included in CONTINGX.2da, meaning they are hidden when you try to set up a (Chain) Contingency or any spell-storing-type spells.

How to reproduce this: try placing either Spell Immunity (SPWI510) and Enchanted Weapon (SPWI417) into a (Chain) Contingency.

Desired behavior: SPWI510 (Spell Immunity) 's subspells should be selectable in contingency/trigger spells.

Suggested implementation: remove the two entries SPWI510 and SPWI417 from CONTINGX.2da
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The engine does not handle them properly, similar to how it does not handle farsight correctly, try putting multiples in the sequencer and see what happens. The spell is cast, the selection menu pops up, but it doesn't go away after selecting one, you can continue to cast the subspells for free until you deselect that character.
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    I just tested by removing SPWI510 from CONTINGX.2da and then casting spell trigger with the latest version BGII:EE. I was able to place 3 different spell immunity spells in my trigger (Divination, Necromancy, Invocation) without any problems.

The behavior you are speaking of appears in the non-EE-or-TobEx versions of the game.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Seems the behavior has changed after all, last time I tried the subspells didn't show up in the sequencer selection screen, just the base spell. It still bugs with those that don't use a 2da list though, like NRD. Couldn't have been non-EE version though, don't have any, which makes me very curious as to when this changed, my BG2EE hasn't been updated since the 1.2 patch.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    So if I understand correctly, this wasn't possible in the original game, but TobEx enabled it. In the EE game it isn't enabled as default but can be achieved via modding thanks to something like externalisation. & request is to enable it as default.
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    It seems the devs made an unannounced "secret" change to the engine that makes the trigger/contingency GuI automatically check for spell immunity type menus. I just happened to bump into it. :) Yes, all it takes is to remove the relevant entries from CONTINGX.2da, and voila you can fine tune which version of spell immunity you want to include.

I reported this as a bug report rather than a feature request because the developers have already done the hard work to the source code, so their intentions are clear. All that is missing is editing CONTINGX.2da, which takes less than a minute.