Skip to content

The slums

Hi everyone
i read it somewhere that at night in slums district, there is an encounter in which some slavers are bribing some guards but i cant seems to trigger it right!

What are requirements for this encounter to occur???

Comments

• Viconia9Viconia9 Member Posts: 34
    I haven't heard anything like that happening in the Slums. Could be wrong, though. However, there is a similar encounter when you first enter the City Gates district. Could that be what you're looking for? Again, I could be wrong.
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    This encounter is supposed to happen at #8 at night in thispic: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/images/maps/chapter-2/slums.jpg
    Hmm. Well, this has never occurred for me, but Sorcerer's Place is usually never wrong. I'll look into it and let you know.
    Well, it appears that this may be linked to the quest where you rid the Slums of the slavers. Perhaps (I'm not sure on this) this only occurs if you have not cleared out the slaver hideout and reported to Hendak. Have you cleared out the slavers yet?
    No i have not done slaver quest yet.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    I have seen this before but i think you need to free Hendak first

I have seen this before but i think you need to free Hendak first

That would make sense.
    Thanks for replies.
    i will give this a try after completing Nalia's and Minsc's quest. Don't want to loose them, that is.
    I went to the area at night and found a guard standing there but no slavers. I talked to him and Yoshimo made a remark saying that: guards can be bribed easily. However, I have yet to return at night to see if that is linked to the event in any way.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    edited September 2014
    Cannot remember an "encounter" by guards but only observed slavers leading away slaves, and talking to the slavers, they threatened the party.
    Merina said:

Cannot remember an "encounter" by guards but only observed slavers leading away slaves, and talking to the slavers, they threatened the party.

That might be it. How did you trigger this?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I've seen it, though can't remember the last time it happened for me. Could it depend on party composition?

I've seen it, though can't remember the last time it happened for me. Could it depend on party composition?

That would make the most sense.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    jahes64 said:

Merina said:

There are two slaver-related events that I can remember - one with slaves being led into the Copper Coronet and one where the guard gets bribed.
    edited September 2014
    scriver said:

jahes64 said:

Merina said:

There are two slaver-related events that I can remember - one with slaves being led into the Copper Coronet and one where the guard gets bribed.
    How can one trigger these?

Edit: After completing Nalia's quest (riding their keep of trolls), without completing slaver quest, i came back to #8 spot on above linked pic and was able to observe the encounter, which in it, 2 slavers bribe a guard. At the end of conversation, Minsc got irate and attacked one of slavers. After killing both slavers (i also killed the guard without reputation penalty), the slave thanked me and i got 5500 XP!

Still interested about the other encounter you mentioned
    Post edited by jahes64 on
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @jahes64‌ - I have no idea how to trigger them. I do know that the Copper Coronet one happens at night, right in front of the door. But I can't remember anything else about it.
    It happened! Mission accomplished.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    edited November 2014
    Ah, I remember trying to trigger this encounter like a madman as a part of some completionist obsession :)

So do we know what exactly triggers it at this point?
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    The confusion surrounding this is probably a result of the whole slaver thing left unfinished. What a shame.

My understanding is that the slaver quest (freeing Hendak and so on) was originally intended to lead you to the guarded compound at the Temple District, which in turn was intended to lead you to Twisted Rune.

As the game now stands, however, nothing whatsoever (except curiosity and meta-game knowledge) would lead you to the guarded compound.

I have never seen the incident described in this thread. No idea what triggers it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014

My understanding is that the slaver quest (freeing Hendak and so on) was originally intended to lead you to the guarded compound at the Temple District, which in turn was intended to lead you to Twisted Rune.

Pretty sure the Unfinished Business mod took a lot of creative liberties. This might have been one of them.

Edit: Turns out it was Baldurdash.

In any case its better where it is now. I doubt the Twisted Run and Slavers working together plot would have been an improvement.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    keldorn will also force a fight with the slavers if he's in your party.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @elminster: I don't think the Slavers were meant to be working with the Twisted Rune. That would have been somewhat silly.

The sequence, as far as I can see, would have been:
    1) You clear the Slaver compound and find a hint directing you to the Guarded Compound.
    2) Upon clearing the Guarded Compound, you find that special rogue stone that contains a message concerning the Bridge District and the Rune.
    3) You have a reason to search for, and find, the Twisted Rune.

So, someone at the Guarded Compound had something to do with someone at the Twisted Rune, but I wouldn't think the Twisted Rune had anything at all to do with the Slavers.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Actually (based on Shangalar's dialogue files) it looks like Koshi (one of the Slave Lords) was suggested as having a "note" and was working with Shangalar (or at least in a position where he was taking punishment from him).
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Sorry for the necro, but I'm curious as to how this encounter is triggered as well, since I only seem to come across it randomly (in my most recent playthrough, I encountered it exactly as I was leaving Gaelan's house for the first time, which has never happened to me before). I know it only occurs at night, but is there any other specific time or circumstance required to trigger it?

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The trigger conditions:
    Lehtinan is alive, time = MIDNIGHT or time = 4. The encounter can repeat, but only after one day has elapsed. I'm not sure how much flexibility there is on those time markers, but it's no more than a one-hour window each time. The slavers start at the door to the ship.
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 81
    wubble wrote: »
    keldorn will also force a fight with the slavers if he's in your party.

As will Minsc.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    jmerry wrote: »
    The trigger conditions:
    Lehtinan is alive, time = MIDNIGHT or time = 4. The encounter can repeat, but only after one day has elapsed. I'm not sure how much flexibility there is on those time markers, but it's no more than a one-hour window each time. The slavers start at the door to the ship.

Thanks a lot for the info.