Skip to content

[Known] Some text containers still not scrolling

GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
Gate70 said:

Biography text window should allow scrolling during character generation

1. Unzip the attached character Biog to the BG:EE Characters folder.
2. Start a new BG:EE game and import character Biog.
3. Click through character appearance and sound.
4. Click on Biography.
5. With the mouse cursor over the biography text, scroll the mouse wheel down.

*Observed*
Biography text window in character generation only shows text that fits in the original text window size.

*Expected*
Biography text window in character generation should allow scrolling all the way to the bottom of the text.

Observed: character biographies still (v1.3) do not allow scrolling to the bottom of the text in either the character-creation screens or the character-customisation screens (although they do scroll in the character-information screens, but that already worked before v1.3). This applies both for a game already in progress when the v1.3 patch was applied and for a newly-created (post-patch) character.

Expected: the bug-fix list posted by @Dee for v1.3 says "- All text containers now allow scrolling all the way to the bottom of the text", so I expected this issue to have been fixed.

Context: I have numerous protagonists rolled-up whenever a character-concept has occurred to me, but stored for later use. I add notes to the biographies to remind myself how I intend to play and develop that protagonist when I get around to giving it a run, so they're always longer than the default biographies and usually longer than the text-box. Scroll-bars appear in the biography text-box when the biography is longer than the box, which work in information (so I can read my notes in-game) but don't work in creation or customisation (so I can't edit my notes in-game). I therefore have to resort to an external text editor whenever I want to edit a *.BIO file.
Post edited by Gate70 on
Gate70

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Where are the .bio files stored? I'm also having this issue because my character biographies tend to be a bit long. I get to a certain point and can no longer scroll down to finish writing them. Kind of frustrating. Can we create a biography via Text Pad, and import it that way?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    @HaHaCharade‌ on Windows you should find them in somewhere like:
    This pc\documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Characters

It sounds like Gallowglass is doing as you suggest, it also looks as if you can paste into the game window (this based on a very quick check). Hope that helps.
    HaHaCharade
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    @Gate70 many thanks! The cut/paste method does indeed work. Just a note that I did not see a Characters directory in my PC documents folder - Just a Portraits, Save, and ScrnSht folder, along with a Baldur's Gate config file. I am curious if a text file can be used somehow, as this would certainly be preferable than the cut/paste method. At any rate, thanks again for replying!
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    I believe the characters directory would be created when you export a character @HaHaCharade‌