Skip to content

SCS For Dummies: Options that are true/close to PnP

So I've decided to jump the bandwagon and install the Swordcoat Stratagems mod to spice up my no-reload playthroughs. The thing is I'd only like to install the options that hit the nail on the proverbial head for PnP, or common house rules - and not give the enemies a one-sided buff that isn't realistic or "fair". I just wanna give the AI some juice so it's not walking around like a special child all the time.

What options would you suggest I install given this kind of playstyle?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    If you want to concentrate on "realistic" and "fair" options, I advice to install all the AI enhancements - majorly, they don't alter creatures' abilities but instead make them smart to use everything they have at their disposal.

Just read www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-scs.html if you need some information about what particular enhancements do.
  • GrayleGrayle Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2014
    bengoshi said:

If you want to concentrate on "realistic" and "fair" options, I advice to install all the AI enhancements - majorly, they don't alter creatures' abilities but instead make them smart to use everything they have at their disposal.

Just read www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-scs.html if you need some information about what particular enhancements do.

That's awesome, yeah I'll try that. I don't like the other options like removing the Robe of Vecna and pushing it back to being accessible only in ToB. That and the other options that are like it seem like a handicap and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I want to level the playing field, not gut my playing style.

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    edited September 2014
    @Grayle‌ to my mind there're two must have components: 'improved general AI' and 'better calls for help'. The former give enemies better targeting (and the ability to change target if you become immune to their damage somehow) and ability to use potions, special attacks, etc, and the later wipes out the old 'fight one at a time' cheese. I've never played PnP but I think both of this components are very realistic. This two components are just gold and they really enhance the game. Thanks you very much Mr. W

Now there are components like 'improved foe because they are just lame' which have several installing options, one which just improves the AI of this particular foe and no more (which is highly recommended), and the hardcore version, which gives this foe abilities from the books (like flayers, vampires) or just improves them otherwise (like giving dragons tons of HP). The harcore version can be a little overwhelming at first, but I have ended up installing most hardcore versions because they make sense to me in terms of realism. Dragons, flayers, fiends, vampires, beholders, etc are super powerful and rare creatures in PnP I guess, but nothing but XP on the hoof in this game. Want Carsomyr as soon as you get out irenicus dungeon? No problem. Want to clear an entire beholder lair with just a shield? Done. I guess this wouldn't be allowed in PnP right?

And finally the improved mages component, and the spell tweaks. I really like this one, but mages can be really annoying until you get the grasp on them. You should at least try option 3 of improved mages (no pre-buffing), but I don't know what this component has to do with PnP. Anyway this mod is very customizable, so just suit yourself and have fun.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2014
    I would recommend mainly just the basic AI improvement (including calls for help) and "smarter" mages and clerics. The end-of-chapter boss fights are a bit much though--especially for no-reload. I would not install those (even for reload-at-will games, honestly). Most of them I would think make no-reload not very fun (for me, anyway).
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I usually improve AI, and avoid OP changes.

Also, I avoid the "smarter mages" component for two reasons:
    1-Because it gives me the feeling that everyone in the realms can cast melf's meteors.
    2- Because it gives too many high level spells to enemies, and I honestly believe that guys such as Tolgerias or Sion aren't meant to be the Top Archmages of Amn.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.