Skip to content

Tropes vs. Men in Videogames

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
Quoted from the Anita Sarkeesian thread, because I wanted to address this point in particular.
I just want imagined for a moment: a man comes about saying he wants to talk down about male stereotypes in video games where they're portrayed as nerds or crude jocks or unrealistically muscular. How would his Kickstarter go? Why would his project be seen as such?
It happened already. There was a "Tropes vs Men in Videogames" Kickstarter that appeared shortly after Anita Sarkeesian posted her own "Tropes vs. Women in Videogames". While Anita asked for $6000 to make her series, the Tropes vs. Men asked for $3000, most of which was to go to Charity, the implication of which was supposed to be that nobody needs that much money to create a series of internet videos. While Anita raised over $150,000, the similar Male Tropes kickstarter barely raised their $3000. And since then, the project has sunk without a trace, whereas Anita's project has already posted 4 videos as of this time,

Here's an article about it and the Journalist who tried to figure out what happened to the project. Mind you, apparently, despite posting images showing that the donations were made, the one organization she was able to contact says they have no record of any such donation on that date.

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/13224/article/the-mystery-and-fraud-of-tropes-vs-men-in-videogames/

Many people claimed that Anita had run away with the money and/or spent it on herself, and that the videos would, therefore, never be made. Well, she's certainly been making the videos. But the men responsible for the Tropes Vs. Men campaign apparently really *has* run away with the $3000 that was donated. Yet nobody even seems to remember that such a thing happened. Why is no one decrying these men who "ran off with the money" that they "took for videos that will never be made"? If one is so bad, the other should be equally bad. It should get equal hate. But not a peep from proponents against Anita's supposed "Fraud".

Just answering a point of information here, folks.

Edit: Quote was from Dazzu. Wanted to attribute where attribution was due.
rufus_hobartCrevsDaakDreadKhanJuliusBorisovNonnahswriterAristilliussemiticgoddess

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    On word: Awareness.

If the people who did donate the money to the TvM campaign raised a fuss about it, then it might have been more dominate. They didn't. No one is pressing charges (so it seems) so they're probably getting away with it.

Second word: Seriousness.

It sounds like the kickstarter was started as a joke and it backfired as they got enough supporters and they clammed up going "uh now what?" The people donating to TvM probably knew it was a joke and didn't care where their money went and were more just agreeing with the statement that $6000 is a high amount to make a web series.
    semiticgoddess
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Personally, I don't think the "Tropes vs Men in Videogames" was not meant as a Joke, but an actual "Take that" at Anita and her kickstarter. I may be wrong. But I also think that nobody is raising a fuss about that $3000, because the money donated was also supposed to be a slap at Anita in some way. Maybe people forgot- maybe that's all the donators wanted- to take a metaphorical slap at Anita (you know if the "Beat her up" game wasn't your style). But it's still kind of stupid to call Anita a liar, thief and hypocrite, and not send some of that same outrage towards these guys.
    DreadKhansemiticgoddess
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Outrage?! But... BUT THEY LIKELY HAVE BOY PARTS!!!

omg, I just figured it all out! Clearly Anita made it herself to discredit men because she hates all men!!1!one
    Nonnahswriter
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    deltago said:

On word: Awareness.

If the people who did donate the money to the TvM campaign raised a fuss about it, then it might have been more dominate. They didn't. No one is pressing charges (so it seems) so they're probably getting away with it.

Second word: Seriousness.

It sounds like the kickstarter was started as a joke and it backfired as they got enough supporters and they clammed up going "uh now what?" The people donating to TvM probably knew it was a joke and didn't care where their money went and were more just agreeing with the statement that $6000 is a high amount to make a web series.

What he said. I'd never heard of the TVM movement until recently, and it sounds like it was created as a parody, and that he didn't expect to get that much support.

It's also possible that it was infiltrated by misogynistic types, who use such movements as a vehicle from which to post things like "Yeah! Totally! Get back in the kitchen, slut!". Extreme types often infiltrate such movements, which can damage its reputation.

Either way, he should have issued a statement, and returned the money to the donators, if he had no intention of following through.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Honestly speaking, a internet video series about men tropes in games should be best undertaken by a representative of masculism (i.e. not masculinism, as they can mean quite different things). And not be done as some side project joke campaign as seen here. Seriously.

That being said... why did that person even need to open two kickstarter campaigns? There should hardly be any money involving the creation on internet videos on youtube. I could understand it if it were supposed to be a documentation aring on TV, or if the show were to be sold in shops for that matter. But neither seems to be the case here.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I couldnt care less what a woman does to guys in a video game. And i dont care about what males do to males in a video games. It´s pixels that have no soul, spirit or feelings. Anyone with a brain would see that males are the most murdered pixels in video games so no need for any trophy vs men stuff. Just fire up a war shooter and see who is been shot at!
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Wow, I wish I could make 150k by lying, stealing other peoples videos, and talking alot of shit. Anybody that can afford to throw money at such a stupid cause deserves to lose it, and it's not like they'll miss it.
    NWN_babaYagaWandering_Minstrel
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I never heard of this until I saw this thread, but... am I the only person who is sad male tropes in video games aren't getting a dedicated web series? Feminism does a really good job of illustrating the issues women face, but it seems to me like men are completely apathetic to various forms of misandry (or, if they aren't apathetic, choose to do nothing in some passive-aggressive way). If we can't even get men to care about male issues, what's the point? I know, there are some groups who focus on male topics, it just seems like feminism has more boots on the ground and gets a lot more press.

Anyway... shame about some jerks running off with 3k$, they probably figured the amount was small enough that no one would put forth the effort to track them down over it.
    rufus_hobartsemiticgoddess
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited October 2014
    because males dont count. Plain and simple. Real male soldiers are murdered in wars all over the globe and we glorify their horrible death in video games and everyone is happy. I think the problem is with the inability to perceive reality and virtual stuff. People who cant distinguish between reality and illusions (movies, games etc.) should not be taken seriously because they have a mental problem. /a doctor should take seriously care about these people and not a crowd of I-net groupies.
    After Rambo was aired people didnt ran AMOK in the thousands just because they now think I´m Rambo too!

If you base your little worldview on post 2000 mainstream ideas and nothing else then someone in power should be responsible and give these people an understanding and not just an agenda and hey now suck it up and go mad while we watch, getting richer and laugh about you.

When you trust someone else more then your own intuition you are a zombie!
    Watch the original dawn of the dead movie and try to understand romeros message. He was not just telling you that these "zombies" are meat munshing creeps but could also represent humans in our society....
    Silverstar
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571

Watch the original dawn of the dead movie and try to understand romeros message. He was not just telling you that these "zombies" are meat munshing creeps but could also represent humans in our society....

I thought his message was: Oh @#$% look at all the money I just made. :P
    Silverstarrufus_hobart
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Sorry, but this thread has already started back down the road it was on before. Closing it before it gets out of hand (again).
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Zombies represent many things. Consumerism- people consuming without end because they are never satisfied with what they have is one of the things Romero was poking fun at in his original movie.

As for those who call shooter games "glorifying male massacre", need we mention it's not because killing other men is such a wonderful thing but because men have traditionally been the ones to fight for thousands of years? There have been women who fought, but they were, unfortunately, few and far between because of lack of interest in war and combat, being told they couldn't by actual men, and, the excuse the American military uses, that having women on the front line would lead to many more "War Crimes" as they were raped by male enemy soldiers.

Remember, though, that if we get rid of negative stereotypes of women, it also frees men from a lot of negative stereotypes. If being a woman isn't seen as something less or negative, then a man Acting or seeming like a woman isn't going to get criticized for it. Crying is unmanly because that's what women do. Being emotional is unmanly because that's what women are. And why is it bad to be what women are/do? Because women aren't as good as men. We are less. People fail to see that eliminating negative stereotypes against women will also prevent those very same stereotypes from being used to bash men.

If another man calls you "Womanly", is it a compliment, or is it an insult? And why do you feel it's an insult? Why is is so bad for a man to be equated to a woman?

Think about this, and then ask yourself if those negative stereotypes against women don't also hurt men.
    NonnahswriterCrevsDaakPagarusSkatan
This discussion has been closed.