Skip to content

Educational journalism

NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
maybe we should make a topic of game reviews in here that are not about the actuall game qualitys anymore but about idiological oppinions about a game by "game" journalist.

Gaming qualitys are :

graphics, gameplay, sound design, atmosphere, VFX, innovation, level design etc.

idiological qualitys are :

sex quantity and quality, subtle gender bias (sexism, racism), wrong educational messages about human beings and their relations. We can add aliens too cuz Xenomorphs may have feelings other then pure hatred (can be anything dependant of the authors background or idiological affiliation !)

so here is my first link i present which .... i think this guy fits perfectly into the idiological category and is not a gaming journalist but an idiological analyzer!
https://archive.today/XpO7f
GodKaiserHellJuliusBorisov

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2014

maybe we should make a topic of game reviews in here that are not about the actuall game qualitys anymore but about idiological oppinions about a game by "game" journalist.

[...]

so here is my first link i present which .... i think this guy fits perfectly into the idiological category and is not a gaming journalist but an idiological analyzer!
    https://archive.today/XpO7f

(Emphasis mine)

The article in your link does not claim to be a review. It's posted in the Opinion section of that website (as compared to the Review section), and it even has the word "Opinion" written in big letters in the picture that's immediately visible when you open the page. There is an actual game review available on Polygon for that game. If you click on the author's name, it brings you to a little profile which lists him as a "Game designer, programmer, educator, and conceptual artist from New York City". You may notice that "game journalist" is not among those.
    elminsterNonnahswriter
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited October 2014
    So where is the point you make ? That they dont review games on a "gaming" website on an idiological point of view ?

It´s clear that they do it. It´s on their site :D

When a gaming website reviews a game under a chrisitan orthodox theological point of view under "oppinions" then what is that ?
    But this is only a start of this topic so just wait and let them do their daily work m8 ;)
    edited October 2014
    My point is that, while there are ideological opinion pieces, there are also actual game reviews that focus on the gameplay elements you describe. I'm not sure of how you feel about ideological pieces (although I can guess), but if you don't like them it's easy enough to just ignore them and stick to the actual game reviews.

When a gaming website reviews a game under a chrisitan orthodox theological point of view under "oppinions" then what is that?

As long as it's just an opinion piece, and that website also provides an actual review of the game from a more neutral standpoint, I don't see how it would matter. People interested in theological interpretation of games could read that article, and people who aren't could just stick to the normal reviews.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If they do this isn't an example of it. This is an opinion column about a subject (the relationship between emotions and good game design) that happens to in part use this game as an example. Its not really a review of the full game.
    TJ_HookerCrevsDaakdeltago
    edited October 2014
    Ok, my english is not the best forgive... I just show here how games are reviewed on an idiological point of view by "gaming" sites EVEN they are put into a category oppinion... if the meaning of the word oppinion is not clear to you then i´m sorry but when i read a newspaper i dont want any political oppinion most of the time but a neutral report on what is going on and what important for me to know. Pretty simple. And i dont want to discuss why they do it only that they do it and on how many occasions they do it. If it is a left or right influenced gaming site doesnt matter.
    edited October 2014
    You act like ideological opinions are invading the review. I'm explaining how they're not. They're being kept separate (Opinions section vs Reviews section).

It's funny that you mention newspapers as an example. Ever heard of an opinion piece? It's the same idea, and as long as it's clearly marked as an opinion piece/editorial/whatever, it's not a big deal.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    elminsterNonnahswriterjackjack
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Maybe you need another example of an ideological game review, because I'm not seeing how this is a game review.
    TJ_HookerCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovjackjack
    edited October 2014
    and you spam this topic with no content. This topic is "educational" journalism by ... idiological influence trough a gaming site targeted at "gamers". Easy man!

There is not even a ground to talk about what i think or other stuff. This threat is pretty clear and on point.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I enjoyed that article. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The only thing that matters is gameplay, and good gameplay WILL vary from person to person. I lost interest in gaming as I felt few games were doing anything really interesting. I noticed games got prettier, but not mote enjoyable to play, which stinks. This is in part what a certain verboten series of videos some indivuals may or may not have watched were arguing: we've been getting fed remarkably similar games, both in terms of story and gameplay.

Imho, the biggest and pethaps only 'new thing' has been dropping side scrollers for 3D scrollers. Wow! Now we have horrible camera angles and either clumsy controls or the computer 'assists' the controls, which is a bit silly.

New games for 20 years nearly have been nothing but prettier and more complex versions of the old games... this is not how it has to be imho.

On gameplay, any theories or good articles about actual games designed primarily for women gamers vs male gamers? Thanks in advance!
    rufus_hobartJuliusBorisovelminster
    the only thing that matters to some is trying to spam and be "hihihiihihi" i dont get it but i had to post this hihihihihi. It´s like a kindergarden for some adults realy. That the hint of sublte propaganda or programming doesnt come up was clear from the start and it just reflects what i already thought so thanks for that. When someone thinks that the spread of a certain ideology is a good thing because he is within this specific sphere it should be a warning signal and not something just easily accepted. I´m sure you dont know about the subtle programming done by the soviet union in the western world...
    deltago
    and if there is another indication that so called game "journalists" are somewhat game journalists and not some hipsters who share an ideology like a sect they always deny then what is this here ?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/02/It-s-been-real-GameJournoPros-prepares-to-close-its-doors

If people deny that they make changes or push biased stuff around behind closed doors then how are they all acting like mad childs looking down on custumers/ gamers who clearly understood what is going on ?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

and if there is another indication that so called game "journalists" are somewhat game journalists and not some hipsters who share an ideology like a sect they always deny then what is this here ?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/02/It-s-been-real-GameJournoPros-prepares-to-close-its-doors

If people deny that they make changes or push biased stuff around behind closed doors then how are they all acting like mad childs looking down on custumers/ gamers who clearly understood what is going on ?

That is called Networking. Making connections to other people in your profession so if you have to move on or elsewhere, you have a contact at another place. It also allows journalist to find answers to basic questions regarding contacts.

From the article's leak:
    <<"The funny thing is that any time anything has been said with a "this should remain in the group" tag it's when we're helping each other out with things like when review copies ship and which PR ...more>>
    I can fill in the more: PR person to contact for a certain game.

They are making jokes because the author of the piece didn't do any real journalism. He just took a snap shot of it and labelled it as a conspiracy and people bought it. He didn't go to the owner of the group or anyone who was listed on his screenshot and ask for a comment, or ask any questions like "what is being discussed" he just threw it out there and let the nut jobs take over. And those nut jobs only believe what they want to believe.
    TJ_Hookerelminster
    edited October 2014
    The whole crew is just a bunch of cultural marxists. No wonder that they only like their own work. This is not gaming related at all just an infiltration by aliens.

"Feminist game studies" ? why is there no "how to code games" study instead or how to draw a texture etc. ? Well... because to point fingers is much easier then to be a usefull person who creates for the good of society.
    And here we see how gaming journalism went from gaming journalism into a subtle programming tool to influence young people.
This discussion has been closed.