Skip to content

techies: ditching my laptop for a tablet ?

simplessimples Member Posts: 540
i own a macbook pro. it's about five years old, so i'm scared it might croak soon (knock on wood).

my question is, how viable would it be to replace it with an ipad (mini)? my main concern is how compatible it is with office files (word, excel, powerpoint/open office) and if office for ipad is any good/easy to use.

apart from that, i basically only surf the internet and play a very limited selection of games.

thanks in advance guys and girls

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Totally agree with @bengoshi‌
    Even if you can do anything with a tablet, you'll miss a pc or a mac in many situation.
    Working with excel or word with a tablet isn't easy at all even with a keyboard.
    And you'll need something where you can storage your backup.
    I can't really explain, but believe me, there are many situations where you'll still need a laptop.
    Maybe an old - not well performing one could be enough.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    As an old tech-savvy guy: a tablet can not replace a computer/notebook.
    Tablets are meant to work as peripherals. Think of tablets as of over-sized telephones. They are here for fun, not for any kind of work.
    Now, if you really don't do anything else on you computer, save for surfing the web, playing very few very simple games (no Skyrim on tablets) and occasionally writing an email or a word document - a tablet can do. However you are setting yourself up for a disappointment if you'd ever need to do something else than the three things I described above. And you will. Trust me.

If you long for a tablet, buy one. But keep your old computer as well. Or get a newer, cheap one for the tasks that the tablets can't do. Or get a notebook, that also has a touch-screen. They are popular nowadays. So you can smear fingerprints on your screen.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    NO. I love my iPad mini, its one of my favoritest things in the world. I don't know if I would even trade it in for a top of the line PC.(Macbook pro, maybe:)

But it is not a desktop. It does not do everything your computer does. It does most of the things your computers does, and it does some thing you computer can't(fit in your pocket. run Mobil apps and games. Portable facetime and imessage, ect.) but it doesn't run full desktop applications. it holds 128GB MAX, and that costs more than an ok PC. it doesn't have a CD drive. It doesn't have any USB ports, or any other kind of plug.

However, if you're operating with your current computer anyway, it can probably fill in the holes that the mini leaves. You could definitely make it work in conjunction with your current computer. If your worried about it dying, buy a cheap 1TB hard drive, and start time machine backups if you haven't already. i think Icloud capacity was expanded drastically with iOS8, so storage should be *to* much of a problem, at least if you buy the 32GB version.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2014
    I do some work in tablets, mainly word file editing, but mostly I use mine to:

a) Check my email

b) Schedule control. Really practical when you just want to check everything you have to do the following day...

c) Browse the Internet

d) Play.

They can be extremely handy when you need something simple done and do not wish to turn on your computer, but sometimes you just need the full power of a computer. In my case, the simplified word processors available in mobile platforms, be it Android or iOS, just are not enough for my needs, although good enough for quick editing of existing documents.

I actually sometimes go for days without turning on my computer at home... of course there is always someone asking me to edit something in the mods thread and I wouldn't even try editing a big html post like that in a mobile platform. Not because they cant, but because it's simpler and more comfortable to do in a computer.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I couldn't make do without a desktop, lol.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    It depends on your workflow. I've spent more than a year working almost entirely on my iPad. That's chatting with clients and partners via skype and e-mail, making documents (including rather complicated spreadsheets) with the iWork suite (which is rather awesome), managing payments, and doing various other things. A tablet is an especially brilliant tool if you have a good cellular data provider for being online everywhere you go, and having access to your data in the cloud.

However, an iPad can't run VMs, or be properly used for controlling remote desktops due to the limitations of the touch interface, which is a large part of what I have to do at the moment, so I will have to get a laptop sometime soon.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I love my Ipad to the pieces, and ever since I got it my time with my laptop was dramatically reduced. I can surf online, visit my favorite forums, watch movies, buy/download music I like, play my favorite game bg2, take photo/have cam talk. Not to mention tons of applications for just about anything.

However when I needed to get stuff done seriously for a school project, I ended up on my laptop, there are programs for word/excel in Ipad but laptop is, ofcourse, way better and easy to use in this aspect. Other than that, I use my laptop very sparsely, for downloading stuff to watch (I then drag them to my Ipad to watch there, so comfy!), for a chatting aplication with hook-ups and stuff (Ipad and flash or java based things don't mix well) and modding up my bg2 game. But that's it.

Do I prefer my Ipad and spend more time with it and love it more than my laptop? Yes, ofcourse. Do I think my laptop is unnecessary and should be thrown out of the window? Hell no. Ipad is enough for %90 of my needs and is simply great/easy to use/comfortable/practical/cool in stuff it does. I am so attached to it. But for the remaining %10 stuff a pc or laptop is a godsend.
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    Illydth said:

simples said:

i own a macbook pro. it's about five years old, so i'm scared it might croak soon (knock on wood).

my question is, how viable would it be to replace it with an ipad (mini)? my main concern is how compatible it is with office files (word, excel, powerpoint/open office) and if office for ipad is any good/easy to use.

apart from that, i basically only surf the internet and play a very limited selection of games.

thanks in advance guys and girls

(Sorry for the book reply).

--Illydth
    @Illydth I pre-ordered your book through Amazon.

Also, I don't have much to add (this guy basically nailed it thrice over), but I'm feelin' the appeal of a tablet or small notebook too. At the same time, yeah, functionality > (for the most part)

Some of the tablets that you can get a legitimate keyboard with look awesome, but then, I'm always reminded of the fact that I'll be staring at a tiny screen. So there goes that thought.

I'd say pick up a tablet though if you can also afford to get a new laptop, whenever that time comes. Can't beat that Netflix in bed awesomeness.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    @Illydth‌ THANKS!
    honestly what i'd like a tablet for most is doing the things i normally do at my desk on the settee.
    all i need word and stuff for is making the occasional presentation and my students' administration, which isn't much, but still, might be handy to keep my laptop running for a little longer ;). i'm on a 15" pro with a 2.53ghz core 2 duo processor and 4gb ram if that helps..
    may even be a 13", not 100% sure anymore
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I'll echo most the other comments. I love my iPad, and would not choose to be without it. In fact there's some things, usually related to specific aps, that are actually easier on the tablet than on my desk top. And of course for portability it really can't be beat.
    But there are certain things that only a full computer can do. Especially anything that involves moving a lot of files around. And obviously anything "non-standard".
    It's funny, I've only had the tablet for four years (?), and I really do 60% of work and play on it. But a big part of what's left I really just CAN'T do on the tablet.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I used to have a laptop, now I have a desktop and a tablet instead - I think that is the best combination for me. Long documents/games are done on the desktop, while the tablet is for notes and some netflix and a little BGEE.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

I used to have a laptop

Did I alone read that in a guard's voice from Skyrim? :)
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    But then I took an iPad in the knee.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited October 2014
    bengoshi said:

I used to have a laptop

Did I alone read that in a guard's voice from Skyrim? :)
    Ehm...no :)
    I used to have a laptop like you do, but then the Dovahkiin robbed my house...
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I thought this was a dota2 thread. I'll see myself out.