Skip to content

no-reload runs in IWDEE

Well, I ask myself why did I not play IWD more often than BG/BG2. A primary reason is that it is just too... easy.

A well-constructed party will wipe the floors in default difficulty. Even on no-reload.
(I only play core rules & never Heart of Fury -- D&D is somewhat well balanced for what it is, and those modifications break what balance there is.)

Without a challenge for no-reload runs IWD always felt gimped.

Perhaps, I'll modify my current BGEE/BG2EE house rules for a challenge:

- no-reloads
- no minmaxing (i.e. no-adjusting ability scores)

- imperfect party (not purposely borked, just... themed to be imperfect)

What say you?

Planning no-reload runs?
With what house rules?

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Thanks, @Dragonspear‌

I think a 4 person party is actually easier due to faster leveling.

Maybe I'll put in some unpredictability in with Wild Mage and some late bloomers such as Kensai and Monk.

An optimized party is far too easy otherwise.

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Ygramul‌

I feel back to basics is one of the harder parties honestly. Mage scrolls are few and far between. Also non fighters have pretty terrible thac0, so you'll be reliant on your fighters damage
  • elvee68elvee68 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 35
    Party I have been running is.

Human Fighter dual classed to mage at lvl 9.
    Human Fighter dual classed to cleric at lvl 9
    Halfling Fighter/Thief

So the first nine I have to lug healing potions all the time and the second nine which is usually starts at the Severed Hand I don't really have any good tanks.

Makes a good challenge for me.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Here's my suggestion: make a team with no fighters, rangers, or paladins. No warrior multiclasses either. Warriors in general just make IWD too easy.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    In fact, just have a party of mages for a real challenge. I still think six wild mages is a good idea to try.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Dude, 6 wild Mages would make me tear my own ears off.

I like the idea of only single (or dual) classed characters. Multiclassed characters do make the game a bit easy.

The only real restriction I always give myself is to avoid crazy min/maxing. No 3 INT fighters, ect.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Running more than one pure mage would be pretty harsh at times, there werent exactly tons of higher level scrolls kicking around. Not as ridiculous as IWD2 felt, but still. Having the option of running a sorcerer in IWDEE will allow your pure mage and bard to get the scrolls they want.

Honestly, I found BG much easier than IWD, but I noticed with he random loot, you could end up with some crummy gear instead of an uber weapon. If you want a REAL challenge, reload to not get as many of the best randoms, and take suboptimal proficiencies for your warriors; clubs, spears and staves were terrible for warriors. Daggers were often crud too. Generally, twohanded weapons werent too hot, especially twohanded swords.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    DreadKhan said:

Running more than one pure mage would be pretty harsh at times, there werent exactly tons of higher level scrolls kicking around. Not as ridiculous as IWD2 felt, but still. Having the option of running a sorcerer in IWDEE will allow your pure mage and bard to get the scrolls they want.

Honestly, I found BG much easier than IWD, but I noticed with he random loot, you could end up with some crummy gear instead of an uber weapon. If you want a REAL challenge, reload to not get as many of the best randoms, and take suboptimal proficiencies for your warriors; clubs, spears and staves were terrible for warriors. Daggers were often crud too. Generally, twohanded weapons werent too hot, especially twohanded swords.

Well, he did want a challenge.
    edited October 2014
    Nimran said:

DreadKhan said:

Well, he did want a challenge.
    Daggers in IWD were awesome. You can get a dagger with +2 THAC0 and potential fire damage... in the prologue. In general there were a lot of great daggers early on, and by the time you get to HoW, there are some incredible daggers there too.

Two-handed weapons are really great for rangers if you have HoW installed, since they get an extra attack per round as long as they aren't using a shield.

As for running multiple pure mages, I actually did an all-mage playthough once. As long as you divide the good spells among your mages, you'll be fine.
    Uh, no, daggers weren't 'great'. I regularly found none worth using except Mage Daggers, which aren't used for their melee combat efficacy. In contrast, lots of good Flails/Morningstars, good Hammers, good Axe options, very good longswords (the 1d3 fire sword is pretty beefy for a long time), viable bastard swords (nothing exceptional usually), and okay short swords. Spelldiver is nice if you get it, Blood Iron is incredible. I occasionally found useable halberds, but nothing I'd considering building around, while spears straight up sucked. Clubs were even worse, same with staves.

The extra attack thing was in vanilla IWD, and twohanders aren't bad early I agree, but other than Lonesome Road, its a bit of a slog. Iirc, Cairn Blade was the best twohanded sword, and it had no abilities. Its trumped by Daystar, available in Kuldahar. :/

I never tried this, but I found my highest level slots chronicly under-utilized even with 3 arcane casters, and not pure.
    DreadKhan said:

Uh, no, daggers weren't 'great'. I regularly found none worth using except Mage Daggers, which aren't used for their melee combat efficacy. In contrast, lots of good Flails/Morningstars, good Hammers, good Axe options, very good longswords (the 1d3 fire sword is pretty beefy for a long time), viable bastard swords (nothing exceptional usually), and okay short swords. Spelldiver is nice if you get it, Blood Iron is incredible. I occasionally found useable halberds, but nothing I'd considering building around, while spears straight up sucked. Clubs were even worse, same with staves.

The extra attack thing was in vanilla IWD, and twohanders aren't bad early I agree, but other than Lonesome Road, its a bit of a slog. Iirc, Cairn Blade was the best twohanded sword, and it had no abilities. Its trumped by Daystar, available in Kuldahar. :/

I never tried this, but I found my highest level slots chronicly under-utilized even with 3 arcane casters, and not pure.

Spinesheath and Presio's Dagger are solid weapons that can be obtained early on in the game and are guaranteed drops. I've actually used those weapons on warrior characters before, and they are useful.

About Cairn Blade, there's this "Static Two-Handed Sword +4" which can deal extra electric damage and has a 25% stun chance per hit, I think. There's also another +4 two-handed sword called "Life Giver" or something.

As for the mage party, it's okay if not all of the mages have very high-level spells, since they probably won't be able to hit level 18 by the time they get to Belhifet anyway, and if you are also playing HoW, you can get some more level 9 scrolls from Edion. I definitely dislike how their are only two level 9 spells in IWD (I also dislike how both of those spells are from the same school), but they will probably fix that in the enhanced edition (plus they will most likely put more scrolls in the game).
    Spinesheath is handy, but its a bad option for a fighter imo, as they dont miss much already. Your damage output with either dagger compared to other options isn't very good. Presio's Dagger is great by the standards of BG1, but not very good by IWD standards.

I never found either of those, they could be random or 'not available' like some of the best IWD gear. Some gets removed by HoW, some was never available! Poor Benorg, nobody ever to find his truthy Axe of Truthiness +4!

Well, I more meant that lots of times my highest avsilable slot had either nothing or spells barely worth casting. :/ Lower level spells can carry you, but its not as easy a playthrough.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Actually, a mage-heavy party is always overpowered in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.
    You don't need every mage knowing every spell. You can excel them for specific purposes with few spells per level.
    If you permit multi-class combinations it becomes even more ridiculous.

One of the most satisfying IWD runs I remember had only a single mage, which made it very hard to balance spell use.

Better yet, perhaps one can have one, maybe two, bards and no mages.

• AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    Personally I only played IWD in Heart of Fury mode, so never felt it was too easy... I especially loved the start of the game, when I struggled hours to kill just a couple of goblins, to be well rewarded by jumping up levels!