Skip to content

Favorite player character (Charname)?

To preface this, apologies if this type of discussion has been done before (or to death, rather).

I was just wondering, what is everyone's favorite main character? This favoritism can stem from any number of reasons; I just want to know who they were, and why they were your favorite. From what I can gather, a lot of people have completed these games many, many times, and I just want to know which character stands above the rest.

To start off, my favorite character that I've created is Zaine, my human Shapeshifter. I've crafted a bit of a story for him (my own interpretation of the events leading up to and of BG1), and it's this extra aspect that makes him "jump" out of the game and into my mind, even when I'm not playing. He does not have excellent stats, and I definitely do not consider him a druid at all, but it's this uniqueness and that it's *his* story that really makes me care about him.

Anyway, that's (briefly) why Zaine is special to me, and I'd love to hear your stories, as well.
jackjackDJKajuruBlackravenArdulatcDaverufus_hobartJuliusBorisov

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited September 2014
    DJKajuru said:

Silverstar , you mentioned being fond of Paladins, I gotta say that playing Lawful Good characters is very difficult for me!

It isn't a terribly easy alignment to play within the confines of a linear CRPG, no. You work with the tools at your disposal though and if you consistently perform good deeds, keep your promises and actively avoid deception/theft/evil actions you're pretty much being as Lawful Good as the game mechanics and story permits, imo. It's one of my least favourite alignments really. If I could be a Chaotic Good paladin I would, but no such luck.
    sarevok57DJKajuruatcDaveJuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    my favourite character is anyone who can use a two handed sword effectively, for some weird reasons, when it comes to rpg games, the two handed sword is just my weapon of choice, nothing silly like cloud's sword from ffvii but a good ol' 5-6 foot long blade to slice through your enemies, so if i play a single player game i will make a human beserker skilled with two handed swords and just dominate in melee, slicing and dicing through baddies, but even with all the mincemeating im doing my character is still a good character at heart and is a little like minsc in terms of becoming a hero, when i play pen and paper dnd, i always make a warrior type class with a two handed weapon ( sometimes even a dire mace which i think i like a little better than two handed swords) and become a hero of the land and get my own stronghold or castle and become a ruler, so having the de arnise hold really helps make that come true when i play through SoA
    jackjackBlackravenrufus_hobartJuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    My current favorite is Ánhaga, a male Half-Elf Lorekeeper of Oghma/Mage, my intended protagonist of a novelized playthrough I've been working on in the past few weeks (without too much progress, due to time constraints). I intend to post his story on the forums as a work in progress I'll probably freely edit, starting with a Chapter 1 once completed.
    jackjackrufus_hobartJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Dualled cleric thieves are my favourite to play. They can be very versatile and easy to role play - for me atleast.

I completed he trilogy multiple times with slight variances to this build. The first time as a swashbuckling cleric dual wielding flails (I'll let you guess which ones) to my new 1.3 build a shadowdancer cleric of Shar.
    jackjackBlackravenrufus_hobartJuliusBorisov
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2018
    Arcane casters and thieves, really. I'll play other classes (except pure fighters--I just find hitting and nothing else boring), but honestly who doesn't love flinging around epic spells, assassinating from shadows, or even combining that with fighting for a bard?
    Post edited by Apocrypha on
    rufus_hobartBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    Mine would be Sheffield Gull, the loveable, smart-mouthed, halfling Bounty Hunter. I love rogues, and a huge thank you to Beamdog for making soany hilarious responses for the new NPCs quests. He was also the leader of my IWD Tutu playthrough and I loved that he could end conversations (when you know you just entered a very hostile environment) with "I guess I'll be going now." So many good times.

"Time for a bit of a rough and tumble!"
    jackjackrufus_hobartJuliusBorisov
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Frond said:

could end conversations (when you know you just entered a very hostile environment) with "I guess I'll be going now."

jackjack
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    @Silverstar‌

Awesome. I laughed.
    jackjackSilverstar
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Fenton Kinkaid Male Halfling Chaotic Good Swashbuckler
    jackjackBlackravenrufus_hobart
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I think my all time favorite would be Diomedes, a paladin-cavalier. He stands out to me for being the first character I beat the saga with way back in the day. Of course he started unkitted in the original BG. Then he became a cavalier, started dual wielding long swords, and romanced Aerie. Good memories.

More recently my favorites have been Sarah, a half-elven neutral-good fighter/cleric. I've finished the whole EE saga with her, and dang was she awesome!
    I'm also thoroughly enjoying Jenny, a neutral-good half elven (hmmm, rut maybe? nawwww...) fighter/cleric/mage. I'm late in BGEE with her now. Fun character with a full party; she's behind in levels but versatile. Its just a whole different balance than some of my other favorites.

Honorable mention goes to a husband/wife team of paladins I played. Amyntor and Brademante. No kits. Only score bonuses as rolled were a 17 constitution for him and a 16 dexterity for her. Now THAT was a challenge!
    elminsterBlackravenrufus_hobartJuliusBorisov
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2014
    I think my all time favorite hmmm, my first assassin, It's been about 4 or 5 years now though so I don't remember his name, wait I think he is on the Bioware forums.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/124374-baldurs-gate-1-no-reload-challenge/page-195?hl=+gem++hound#entry7678332

That page has him killing Sarevok though.

Edit: His name was Firecam. He died while escaping Ust Natha through the Drow Horde.
    Edit2: Turns out it was only 2 years ago. :O
    Post edited by GemHound on
    Blackravenrufus_hobartJuliusBorisov
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2014
    sarevok57 said:

my favourite character is anyone who can use a two handed sword effectively, for some weird reasons, when it comes to rpg games, the two handed sword is just my weapon of choice, nothing silly like cloud's sword from ffvii but a good ol' 5-6 foot long blade to slice through your enemies, so if i play a single player game i will make a human beserker skilled with two handed swords and just dominate in melee, slicing and dicing through baddies, but even with all the mincemeating im doing my character is still a good character at heart and is a little like minsc in terms of becoming a hero, when i play pen and paper dnd, i always make a warrior type class with a two handed weapon ( sometimes even a dire mace which i think i like a little better than two handed swords) and become a hero of the land and get my own stronghold or castle and become a ruler, so having the de arnise hold really helps make that come true when i play through SoA

Have you ever read or watched Berserk? Something tells me that you're going to love it.

Post edited by Vitor on
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2014
    @LordRumfish I remember Veraka from a challenge a while back.