Skip to content

BGEE/BGEE2 all crash on startup after changing video card.

ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
The Video card I had in my computer recently died. Until I have money to buy a new one I installed an old video card I still had. The computer started up fine and it says I have the most recent drivers.

I went from a ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB to a Radeon X1600Pro 256MB. Obviously a huge downgrade but it should be enough to run the EE games right?

I use Windows7 64bit , 8GB memory. I attached the DMP that was created when I tried to launch.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    @ronaldo‌ might be worth renaming your baldur.ini files which should be in your documents folder, one for each game. The games should then create new ones from scratch, thought process here is that the file contains details of graphics cards and OpenGL etc.
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Gate70 Is that just a matter of right clicking on the baldur.ini file and then rename? Does it matter what I rename it? If that works then do I just delete the renamed ini?
    That's about it, yes. I suggested rename so you have 2 files to compare if you wanted to do anything like add movies back or re-enable the CLUA Console. So long as it is named differently a new file should be created.
    @Gate70 I just renamed the ini file and tried to start BGEE but it didnt help. The game also didnt make a new ini file. Should I delete the file and try that?
    Assuming you renamed the file while the game was completely shut down I doubt it would help.

A quick search indicates your previous card used OpenGL 3.1 and the one you now have used OpenGL 2. Not sure how you check this but based on the details you gave, I got to the location below as a suitable driver - AMD Catalyst 10.2. Assuming I haven't made a mistake, is that the driver you currently have?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=Legacy1&os=Windows 7 - 64
    I am using a driver older than that one. I went to the AMD site when I first put the card in and its automatic driver checker said I had the latest drivers. I'll try the ones in your link.
    @Gate70 I downloaded the driver you linked me to and I was able to start the game. But it is extremely slow. I just started a new game with a premade character. Just clicking on an open space for her to move to took forever.
    I attached a screen shot of the graphics page in game. It doesn't seem right.
    OK, so it does look to be driver specific. It is quite possible I didn't get the right drivers for your card if OpenGL is now down-version.

Finding the most recent driver for the exact card needs to be the next step, preferably with whatever information you can find (e.g. is it from the likes of Sapphire etc.)
    @Gate70 It is a Sapphire card. When I go to the AMD site and search for the drivers I get to the same one that you did. When i looked closer at the download I noticed it said Vista as the OS. I am on Windows 7 Im wondering if this card is just not compatible with the OS?
    Yeah, this link is indicating pretty much the same thing. Strange it puts OpenGL down though.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/bd93488d-ecb4-4fa0-86bb-48eb0935d905/i-need-working-driver-for-my-ati-radeon-x1600-windows-7?forum=w7itprohardware

There was mention of catering for OpenGL less than 2 in-game. Have a scan through the archived performance section linked below.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/windows-pc

e.g.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7134/known-hardware-driver-issues has
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    which you could add to your baldur.ini and see if that helps.
    @Gate70 I tried adding the Open GL to my ini and it didnt help. I appreciate the help though.
    Ah, sorry to hear that.