Skip to content

BG:EE Linux Now in Beta on Steam!

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
For you Linux-users out there, this last week we started beta-testing the Linux version for BG:EE through the Steam client. If you already own the game through Steam, just follow the instructions below to activate the beta for your copy and install it on Linux. If you bought the game through Beamdog, send a message to support@beamdog.com with the email address you use to log into your Beamdog account and we'll get you set up.

To activate the Linux beta:

1. Open your Steam client to the Library section
2. Right-click "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" and select "Properties"
3. In the "Beta" tab, enter the following passcode: marchofpenguins
4. Press "Check Code"

That will add the Linux testing beta to the drop-down; just select it, and the Linux build will be ready for you to install and test.
Post edited by Dee on
DexterJuliusBorisovlolienRAM021CrevsDaakAristillius

Comments

• onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52
    Awesome! sent you an email... Just wondering why this doesn't get much attention. Zero replies in 24 hours ??? (well now it's 1 :)) ppl celebrate!!!
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • adam777adam777 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2014
    That's great news, Dee.
    Any idea what the future hold for linux in regards of all games?
    I bought both BGEE and BG2EE (and will probably buy IWDEE as well) through beamdog, and was wondering if a linux version is planned via beamdog as well.
    If positive, will we be able to get the linux version for free/discounted if we already bought the windows version (which works just fine via wine, btw, apart from installation and entering full screen from windowed mode).
    Thanks.

* Edit *
    Just tagged @Dee, in case you somehow missed the comment.
    Btw, "no comment" is just fine. Less than ideal, but fine :)
    Post edited by adam777 on
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Sweet. May I ask what userlands/hardware you support? E.g., what version of which distribution and which graphics driver(s), but if you could be more detailed that'd be awesome.
    CrevsDaak
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    Email sent! I'm pumped about this. With so many great Linux games out these days I haven't fired up windows or wine in a while. It will be great to get back into Baldur's Gate again.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Nice! Now I use Linux as my primary OS and I'm so glad more games are coming to Linux :)
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
  • Farmboy0Farmboy0 Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to switch from beamdog to GOG?
    I guess they will receive the linux version too when it is done?
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    I just started chapter 2 playing on Arch 64 bit. The only problem I have had also exists on windows: Edge scrolling doesn't seem to work in a window. Full screen it works fine, but I prefer to play in a window, so no edge scrolling for me.

It's fantastic to be able to play EE on Linux without using wine.

Now, the important question: will BG2:EE be released on Linux in time for my Paladin to keep on going?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

i.e. on the 30th of October

And in terms of BG on Linux, ( @hummer010‌ ) there has been no talk about BG2EE yet, the beta-testing of BGEE is still going:

lolien
  • lupinelupine Member Posts: 1
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Seriously, I just bought it (lupine_nickt on steam). Despite having all the original CDs for the original TotSC, SoA and ToB ----> just over there. Money, mouth is, etc.

Challenge for you: Get BG2:EE for linux out before I've finished my BG1 playthrough ;)
  • StirnerStirner Member Posts: 3
    the code does not work anymore
  • superresistantsuperresistant Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am ready to buy this game if it's available on Linux.
    The guy above just said that the code doesn't work any more ?
    So I won't be able to play if I buy the game on Linux ?
  • superresistantsuperresistant Member Posts: 2
    No news ?
  • BogoltBogolt Member Posts: 1
    Hello, is there an option to get linux version of BG:EE other then to buy it on steam? I already own windows version of the game, and i'd like to be able to download or buy a linux native version.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Unfortunately, the Linux version is only available through Steam right now.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you bought it through Beamdog, send an email to support@beamdog.com and we can help you get set up with a Steam key.
    JuliusBorisov