Skip to content

Uber solo recipe: bard

This works just as well with any bard kit.

Bard:
STR 18 (19 after Tome really helps if you ever get into melee)
DEX 18 (AC, Pick Pocket, bow shots)
CON 15 (you'll boost it to 16 while still level 1)
INT 13 (minimum)
WIS (7 or 10, depends how patient you are)
CHA 15+ (depends how patient you are)

Wands are the secret to this build.
Wand of Monster Summoning, Wand of Fireballs, Wand of Paralyzation.

* First get the Wand of Paralyzation; by using a trick, you can easily pick this up at level 1. Get the Potion of Speed from Imoen, and the Potion of Invisibility from Jaheira. Hike to the Lighthouse; when close to, but out of range of the Sirines, drink both potions. Sneak in all the way to the container in the cave. Once you grab the contents, everybody will attack, but Speed will let you outrun them all; just run all the way back to Beregost. You get CON+1 and the excellent Cloak of the Wolf as a bonus.

This Wand gives you Stun, which is super against one-on-one bosses like Greywolf (Sword+2), Meilum (Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise) and good experience/money givers like Bassilus and Taugosz. Getting this wand early is easy and gives a real kick-start to the run.

* The Wand of Monster Summoning is next; you'll need to fight three Ghasts to get it. Buy a Potion of Freedom from High Hedge to neutralize their Holds. A buffed-up bard can then tackle these foul beasts quite early on. You might even try stunning them, or run past them and use the Wand of Summons on the spot.

This Wand is totally uber, and is the main staple of this strategy. Once you get this one, you are close to invincible. It doesn't just give you fodder; it gives you a continuous flow of fodder, as you can keep using it again and again in a fight.

* The Wand of Fireball is last; you can find one in the Ankheg cave. How to beat the Ankheg's ? Summons from the Wand ofcourse! Just make sure you always have a couple of summons in front of you, and no Ankheg will get a scratch on you.

This wand is a nice addition, and can wipe out tons of weaker enemies in one or two shots. Or tons of tougher enemies in six or seven shots. Remember, unlike memorized spells, a recharged wand gives almost unlimited numbers of spells in a fight.

You'll be solo, so there's always enough cash to sell wands with only a few charges left and buy them back fully charged.

Spell book is there for some ID spells and mirror images, after which you can put your armor back on.

Have fun spamming the monster summoning wand, singing, and then picking up some great equipment off of Drizzt too!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I always become warm inside when I read a post like OP:)

This feeling when you find something new for yourself...

I like bards and consider them a fine choice for a solo play. But still I presume that a F/M/T is much more powerful for a solo run.

This is why I often take a bard rather than that triple machine - I tend to choose not OP characters.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I can't bring myself to play a low wisdom Bard
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    You want an 18 in CON, the Manual of Bodily Health, and Buckley's Buckler. So you can regenerate.

jackjack said:

Really? My 97 point build is all 18's and a 7 WIS. Chaotic neutral, not very wise. Carefree.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I just realized something: Drizzt will probably be very hard to kill, because you can't just overwhelm him with summons like in generic BGI. There's probably a limit on summons since BGEE uses the ToB engine.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Lateralus said:

jackjack said:

Really? My 97 point build is all 18's and a 7 WIS. Chaotic neutral, not very wise. Carefree.
    To each his own. I never have an 18 unless I roll it, and only one score over 16, which in a Bard, I would put toward Charisma.
    Example:
    Str 13
    Dex 14
    Con 9
    Int 16
    Wis 14
    Cha 17

Then again, such a character might not make it out of Candlekeep in a solo run XD
  • BajeDadBajeDad Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2014
    So the thing which caught my eye in this thread is "...recharged wand..." How do you do that?

Oh, and the follow on question is: can you recharge things like the ring of invisibility?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yes, you sell them to a merchant and then buy them. Their price is nuts because they are loaded with charges.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    BajeDad said:

can you recharge things like the ring of invisibility?

Yes, you can recharge not only wands, but also other items as well.
    bengoshi said:

Klorox said:

I just realized something: Drizzt will probably be very hard to kill, because you can't just overwhelm him with summons like in generic BGI. There's probably a limit on summons since BGEE uses the ToB engine.

And with the 1.3 patch it will be even more harder... seeing you even if you're invisible, surviving the encounter with the gnolls.

By Lilarcor's words, he is such an ass.
    What's this mean?

@Klorox‌

According to the patch notes, Drizzt will now see the player even if they are invisible, allowing him to survive the encounter with the gnolls
  • mahe4mahe4 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2014
    Klorox said:

it gives you a continuous flow of fodder, as you can keep using it again and again in a fight.

i thought it only has 8 charges... not that "continuous" i think..
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    It has... lots of charges if you recharge it. LOTS.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    DreadKhan said:

It has... lots of charges if you recharge it. LOTS.

I think you get like 50 charges after a "recharge"?
    edited September 2014
    I thought it was 99.

Anyway, I guess I'll just need to use a dagger (Dagger of Venom, plus you can get a magical one in Candlekeep so you never need to worry about breaking weapons). You can get any weapon you want at levels 4 and 8, it doesn't really matter with this build.
    Lateralus said:

You want an 18 in CON, the Manual of Bodily Health, and Buckley's Buckler. So you can regenerate.

I really like this idea. A lot.
    DreadKhan said:

Real men solo Skalds and rely on summoned mooks ftw. ;)

This would be extremely effective. The Jesters song would be awesome too (you'd need the wand of summoning much less).
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Klorox said:

Bard:
    INT 13 (minimum)

What would you be patient for in respect to charisma?
    Klorox said:

Bard:

I recommend starting with an 18 CON, because once you get the manual of bodily health and buckley's buckler, you can start regenerating HP. Fully heal while sleeping and traveling.
    Lateralus said:

Klorox said:

Bard:

I recommend starting with an 18 CON, because once you get the manual of bodily health and buckley's buckler, you can start regenerating HP. Fully heal while sleeping and traveling.
    LOL, you suggested the same thing almost two months ago when i first posted this thread. :D

Klorox said:

Lateralus said:

Klorox said:

Bard:

LOL, you suggested the same thing almost two months ago when i first posted this thread. :D

My comments regenerate. ;P

Klorox said:

Bard:
    INT 13 (minimum)

What would you be patient for in respect to charisma?
    All the way up to 18 if you wish.

An 18 can net you a Dagger +1 in the prologue, and when combined with throwing daggers, its a nice proficiency to take.