Skip to content

Windows 8.1

PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
So, ever since purchasing the games I have had frequent freezes and crashes on BGee and BG2EE playing on my windows 8 machine. I was forced into a windows 8.1 upgrade and now I can not even open Bg2EE at all. It gets to the point where the Wise Alamundo quote floats up and then freezes entirely. I've asked for tech support over email but I typically wait months for a pretty unhelpful answer. I've got a computer that should easily run the game and video drivers that say they are up to date on HP's website. I'm not really very good with the tech personally but if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I want to get back to playing the game I paid for and that I was told would run on my computer. Thanks

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @PK2748‌
    Sorry to hear of your experience to date @PK2748‌ so let's see if we can work the cause(s) out. Could you advise on the questions below please.

BG:EE
    What version of the game are you playing. Does it show v1.3.2053 on the main menu.
    Is it playing OK now or does it freeze.
    If it freezes does it continue after a few seconds or are you forced to close the game down & restart.
    Does it freeze at certain points (e.g. when spell animations happen or cutscenes happen).
    Does the sound work in-game, does it stutter or is there silence.

BGII:EE
    If you've selected one of Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal or Black Pits II and the game freezes at that point this often indicates you have a sound issue. Is the game playing music at startup and before you make the selection choice.

Graphics card/driver.
    Open Windows Explorer (shortcut is Windows key with 4 squares on it and E)
    Right click "This PC"
    Click on "Properties"
    Click on "Device Manager"
    Click on "Display adapters". Advise what the entry below that is. e.g. I have Intel(R) HD Graphics.
    Double click on that entry.
    Click on "Driver". Advise what Driver Version you have. e.g. I have 10.18.10.3621

Sound devices.
    Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray near the clock.
    Click on "Playback Devices".
    Advise whether there are any devices shown and if any of them have a green tick on their icon.

Thanks
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Yes, I am playing 1.3.2053 in BG EE
    It has always frozen at sporadic intervals. I have never found any trigger. It occasionally happens even when I am rolling up a new character.

As for sound, I have no idea, I find video game music annoying so I tend to turn the volume off when I am playing games. That includes both of the BG games so I am not sure

AMD Radeon HD 7670