Skip to content

Is the Yeti Armor worth the price?

In Kuldahar, you can turn in 10 yeti pelts and 2500 gold for the yeti armor. Is it worth doing this, or is it something that will be replaced for sure down the road?
kcwisejackjack

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    But in terms of the actual price I would say no. The difference between it and say studded leather armor are pretty minimal. It for instance is worse against piercing and missile attacks than studded leather. If you are fighting enemies that are using crushing attacks (and there are a fair number of those) it is better for that but given its cost I'd say its not really worth it. I would hold onto the gold and use it for something else.
    kcwiseDexter
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    elminster said:

But in terms of the actual price I would say no. The difference between it and say studded leather armor are pretty minimal. It for instance is worse against piercing and missile attacks than studded leather. If you are fighting enemies that are using crushing attacks (and there are a fair number of those) it is better for that but given its cost I'd say its not really worth it. I would hold onto the gold and use it for something else.

Doesn't it offer some protection from ice? (or was it in iwd2?)There were those cold blasting skeletons in Dragon's Eye and any cold protection should come in handy. Also I think it counts as hide armor so some kits, such as Avengers, can wear it. (they can not wear studded leather)

kcwise
    It offers 15% protection from cold. Not enough to justify the price. Avengers can't wear it.
    kcwiseKenjiJuliusBorisov
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Here in Rome we use to say: "È una sòla".
    How do you say it in English?
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovRaistlin82
    elminster said:

It offers 15% protection from cold. Not enough to justify the price. Avengers can't wear it.

Ooh okay, shame about it then. Maybe if it was at least %25 ice resistance and avengers could wear it...the armor might have been okay. Now it looks rubbish.
    Pibaro said:

"There is only one" would work.
    JuliusBorisovPibaroCr4zyJ
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    elminster said:

Pibaro said:

Lol.
    Sorry but sòla it's not sola.
    It means shoe "sole" .
    Remember Donald Duck? He used to go fishing, and instead of fish he got sole.
    That's the meaning of it.
    AristilliuselminsterRaistlin82
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    Here is the description from EE keeper item list :

Hide armor is made from the thick hide of a very large animal (yeti, in this case) or from many layers of normal leather from common animals, like cows. Hide armor is far too bulky, inflexible and heavy to be used much in advanced human cultures. However, among the barbaric humanoid masses throughout the dark forests and misty jungles of the world, hide armor is common. Even though it does offer more protection than leather armor, one must get by the offensive odor and shoddy appearance in order to wear it effectively. Even though Thieves can wear this armor, it has a negative effect on their abilities.

This particular set of armor was cured by Conlan and enchanted by Orrick. Orrick was not able to quite get rid of its inherited weakness against fire, though it offers some natural protection against cold.

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:
    – Cold Resistance: +15%
    – Fire Resistance: -3%
    – Open Locks: -10%
    – Find Traps: -10%
    – Pick Pockets: -10%
    – Move Silently: -20%
    – Hide In Shadows: -20%

Armor Class: 5 (7 vs. piercing and missile)
    Requires:
    6 Strength

Weight: 28
    NonnahswriterYamchalabrys
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    It makes no sense that Yeti-skin should be inherently less resistant against fire? Id rather have a hide armor than a full plate mail if I was the subject of a fireball-attack.
    [Deleted User]jackjackT2avQuartz
    edited October 2014

It makes no sense that Yeti-skin should be inherently less resistant against fire? Id rather have a hide armor than a full plate mail if I was the subject of a fireball-attack.

Well, IWD is a VERY elemental based game, especially when dealing with hot and cold stuff:anything strong against cold is weak to fire, and vice versa.
    PibaroDragonspear
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    The way I see it, wearing a furry suit is probably very warm (if cumbersome) but Hair catches on fire easilly. :P
    PibarosmeagolheartRAM021rufus_hobart
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited October 2014
    elminster said:

Pibaro said:

Elminster knows all... and all is to much... all who are brave and ... mischievous... meet me in the secret club house. We must address his unchecked power!!
    artificial_sunlightSoren_The_Wildelminster
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's not really that expensive so i buy it but it's absolutely unnecessary. sorta useful early on, for a short time.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I think @Pibaro‌ is a native Italian speaker, and his interpretation of the phrase makes sense to the point that the yeti armor is no good. "I went fishing, and all I caught was a shoe sole."

I've never studied Italian, but I can see where it would be very easy for a non-native speaker to get tripped up on "sola" with an accent for "shoe sole", and "sola" without accent meaning "only; alone". Also, the literal translation of "It's a shoe sole" is the kind of street slang that would be obvious to a native speaker and baffling to a foreigner.
    PibaroRaistlin82
    Pibaro said:

elminster said:

Pibaro said:

Lol.
    It means shoe "sole" .
    Thanks for the heads up :)
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    No, it's not.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    elminster said:

Pibaro said:

elminster said:

Pibaro said:

Lol.
    It means shoe "sole" .
    Thanks for the heads up :)
    I remember people used to wear t-shirts when I was younger with a slogan on that might be close to the meaning. It went something like (re-worded for Icewind Daleisation) "I went to the Spine of the World and all I got was this lousy yeti teeshirt"
    BelgarathMTHelminster
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Has the Icewind Dale Item Upgrade been fully implemented here or just that yeti armor?

I always liked that mod.
    booinyoureyes
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    It's possible, I remember also the white dragon scales on the item list from EE keeper. BTW is there an official listing for the new 60 items that are supposed to be added in the EE version of IWD?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Hudzy said:

Has the Icewind Dale Item Upgrade been fully implemented here or just that yeti armor?

I always liked that mod.

That is something that @Camdawg could answer

• ParadoxParadox Member Posts: 31
    How do you get Conlan to offer this armour to you? I have the pelts but not sure how the offer starts.
    MacHurto
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    Talk to the wizard in the tower in Kuldahar.
  • ParadoxParadox Member Posts: 31
    Tried talking to Conlan and the Wizard, neither of them are offering the armour.
    I have 10 pelts in general inventory, not in the Bag of Holding so I don't know what the issue is.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    You need to talk to Mirek first; he's the one that directs you to Orrick.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you can sell the armor for 900 which means it only costs 1600.
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This armor can be useful for avenger druids because they cannot use a studded leather armor.
    PibarobooinyoureyesKenji