Skip to content

The list of IWDEE reviews: 49 reviews already

Comments

• Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    From one of the reviews:
    However, something that got removed from the interface is a key to highlight the interactive objects in the world. This was a very handy tool in the original game because Black Isle liked to put containers in unusual places, and the key was the easiest way to spot them. I have no idea why Beamdog removed the option. I probably missed a lot of good stuff by walking right past containers without noticing.
    Why on earth would you remove it? That makes no sense at all!
    kcwise
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Isn't the idea behind starting a HoW game that you import your party from the end of the main quest? So it's not designed for a bunch of poorly equipped level 1s.

If you play HoW from inside the main quest, likewise you will have gained some levels before you get to the HoW content.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseRAM021jackjack
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    elminster said:
    Aaargh. I'm so embarrased :o
    How could I be so blind...? Ahh I must be snowblind by now. Well, thanks for pointing it out @elminster‌ ...
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseelminsterjackjack
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    As far as I can remember, and I could be wrong, HoW was meant for level 9 characters at minimum. There are also two ways to start HoW - one is within the game itself. Sort of like how Shadows of Amn transitions over to ToB automatically. Or, you can also start a new HoW game, and your characters will be created at the appropriate level. Like ToB. I've never done this, I'm just assuming it. You finish HoW and Trials of the Luremaster, and then go back to the main IWD quest to finish the game.

Also, it seems that the default party for starting HoW has some magical items, whereas creating your own party results in no magical items being received. Which makes it significantly harder.

So, simple solution: assign the same selection of magic items to any player created party if HoW is started on it's own. Like ToB gives you a bunch of magical gear if you start a new game with it. Could be that the gear is selected based on each character class, or selected weapon proficiencies.

I'll test this tonight out of curiosity. I would like to see what level your characters are created at.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseRAM021
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    can anyone report if the zooming function gets locked after cut scenes like it does in bg:ee?
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    bengoshi said:
    At some point towards the end, this guy talks about Bulldog... ehm... :-D
    JuliusBorisovkcwisejackjack
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

He was playing Tiny Tower while playing IWDEE, Ouch. That hurts. I think he might be not be our target player

@TrentOster, that's exactly why introducing the "Story Mode" in IWD:EE was a mistake. It is oriented to the wrong target players (i.e. people that don't really like these games) and so you can't really complain when those casual players misuse it like this.
    kcwise

Erg said:

so you can't really complain when those casual players misuse it like this.

Yeah but 'Those Casual Players' shouldn't be professional Game Reviewers.
    or they could stick to casual games that aren't combat orientated at the very least. there are some casual gamers that need their casual reviewers, but one of those reviewers shouldn't be reviewing this game.
    Except that with the "Story Mode" on, this game IS a casual game.
    kcwise
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Erg: I'm not sure I see your point.

You suggest that it was a mistake to add story mode in because it draws in casual players and then above suggest that with story mode the game becomes a game for casual players.

It would seem to me, by your own statements, that the decision to put in Story Mode just opened the door for a whole potload of players who never would have purchased or picked up the game to begin with.

Why do you consider this a problem / mistake?
    kcwiseRavenslight
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    The good news is that if Story Mode is the main issue receiving criticism in early reviews, then the game itself is relatively bug free.
    RAM021CaptRoryJuliusBorisov
    edited October 2014
    Illydth said:

@Erg: I'm not sure I see your point.

You suggest that it was a mistake to add story mode in because it draws in casual players and then above suggest that with story mode the game becomes a game for casual players.

It would seem to me, by your own statements, that the decision to put in Story Mode just opened the door for a whole potload of players who never would have purchased or picked up the game to begin with.

Why do you consider this a problem / mistake?

@Illydth, first I'm pointing out the contradiction in @TrentOster words. He says about that reviewer "I think he might be not be our target player", but on the other hand they have introduced the "Story Mode" just to attract those kind of players (or more precisely their money).

Second, and more importantly, I don't really think that the "Story Mode" will bring more sales, or at lest not as much as to make a difference. To me is just a waste of resources that could have been better spent elsewhere, but that's just my opinion and of course I could be wrong.

Third, and even more importantly, the fact the they have even considered a good idea introducing the "Story Mode", means that Beamdog is willing, at least on some extent, to move away from the old school nature of these games and transition to more recent paradigms more suited to this era of casual gaming, like the necessity to handhold the (casual) players at every step of the way. The nerfing of the spawning rates in BG:EE is IMO another aspect of this tendency. So IMO the "Story Mode" is not wrong per se, but because it signals Beamdog willingness to embrace this new gaming philosophy (that of course I don't approve because I'm rather attached to the old school nature of the infinity engine games).
    RAM021SionIV
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270

He was playing Tiny Tower while playing IWDEE, Ouch. That hurts. I think he might be not be our target player

-Trent

See, quotes like these is why I love you guys.
    jackjackRAM021CaptRory
  • pemapema Member Posts: 12
    My only question is: Do the environment, npcs, monsters and/or quests react in any way to the new classes? In the original game it was advantageous to play a bard or paladin in certain situations or quests. Event though it was very seldom the npc's reactions to different classes or races were a part of this Game. I wonder if at least this role-playing feature was enhanced as well.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I think that story mode isn't really intended to be left turned on through the whole game. Rather, it is a way to bypass encounters that were so hard for you, you couldn't get past them, and would have quit the game.

See Malcanter's Tenth Rule for Avoiding a Horrible Death in Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. "Give up."
    lolienJuliusBorisovjackjackRavenslight
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    "Tiny Tower" -- nice!
    lolienjackjack
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    8.1 from Italy with love:
    http://it.ign.com/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-pc/87907/review/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition

8.5 from Greece:
    http://www.ragequit.gr/reviews/item/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-pc-review

And finally a new review in English:

http://3rd-strike.com/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-review/ - 8.7

Good: good and long story, can't just rush through battles

Bad: extremely hard for newcomers *Really?:)

"This Story Mode allows you to enjoy the game’s story without having to go through the hassle of re-loading 20 times to win 1 difficult battle, so it’s definitely a plus to help out new players once in a while! Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is a game that will appeal to many veteran players. It has all the goodies it used to have and adds even more. Now you can even share the fun online with friends! The game is extremely long (maybe too long?) and has big replay value, so people who love the game might kill more hours on it than they’re comfortable with."
    lolienRAM021