Skip to content

The list of IWDEE reviews: 49 reviews already

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited November 2014
    bengoshi said:
    Generally, this review praises the game for its refinements, but it stresses the lack of brand new content.
    I translated the final judgement from Italian into English if the developers are interesed to read it:

"A work done with love and respect (to the original game, translator's note). The gameplay is faithful to the original version of the game, but at the same time the new features and integrations (BG kits and UI, translator's note) fit well. The Story Mode makes IWDEE a good RPG for those who want to try this genre".

I am glad he liked the game :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The 10th review is from Brazil. Guess the rating... It's 10 ;P

http://www.techtudo.com.br/tudo-sobre/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition.html

Ten out of ten in the tenth review!
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Where's the fun in IWD if you don't have to reload 20 times to win 1 difficult battle? That guy definitely isn't the target audience. Kudos for being objective enough to still give it a good score though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CaptRory said:

At least it was a fair review, not some idiot turning on story mode then tabbing out to play Candy Crush.

LOL true.
    edited November 2014
    Not sure what a 77/100 gets. I would put that in the mixed category personally. I'm basically basing this off google translate, since my German is about as good as my french (beginners) but it seems like its more a mixed review for more experienced gamers.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition/wertung/51646.html
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    IMO there shouldnt be story modes to begin with. In any game. There's telltale games but that's their only style.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited November 2014
    CaptRory said:

At least it was a fair review

To me, this review is a strange one. I can't agree that the features the reviewer listed as bad, such as the "complex UI creating a steep learning curve for newcomers" and the feeling "early game leveling a little unbalanced" can lower the rating to six out of ten. Really?

Even if I don't take into account the nature of these cons for the reviewer (although I strongly disagree with them) I can't understand how these 2 things could lead to minus 4 review points.

The reviewer has seemed to enjoy the game and yet has given it such a rating. I don't think it's fair.

As a side note, here's a new review from Italy: http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/140468-icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-la-spada-gelata.html 8/10
    edited November 2014
    @bengoshi‌
    A review from Italy and you did not summon me? How could you? :)

This article is well written and very professional.
    The author praises the game being available for many platforms and the Heart of Winter expansion ("In the DLCs era that last half an hour, who would not like an expansion as long as Heart of Winter?"). He says that this enhanced version of the game is good to attract new players, while the lack of new content can be disappointing for old players ("The restored quests add very little to the game and to the story itself").

Again, I translated the final judgement from Italian into English if the developers are interesed to read it:

"Although this Infinity Engine title is more focused on fights, Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition looks more deep than most of the modern RPGs thanks to its rules set and party creation and management. It is strange that it was received as Baldur's Gate and Torment's unfortunate cousin back in the 2000. Anyway, those who love this genre must absolutely buy it because, despite some wrinkles, it can offer hours of roleplay gaming. Be careful to bring some heavy jackets with you, since the Spine of the World is a cold place indeed".
    Post edited by Aedan on
    A new review http://www.gamezebo.com/2014/11/12/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-review-tablet/ 3.5/5

Is it gamezebo or gazebo? For the first ten times I've read it "gazebo" ;)

"Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is a difficult game to review... a game I never had the pleasure of playing. It is also the sort of game that appeals to a specific sort of people, like those who enjoy investing time into tweaking numbers and percentages for a group of characters without all the celebratory “level up” systems that are seen in most modern RPGs."

I'm one of those specific people, it seems ;P

"the game features acronyms that are mostly unfamiliar to non-pen-and-paper gamers. Like the acronym THAC0. Ever heard of that one? It means “To Hit Armor Class Zero”. I’ve never seen that one before. Icewind Dale never explained that one to me. Or what Wisdom is necessary for."

Someone has to look into the manuals, I guess.

"Good Stuff

Many new features returning fans may enjoy.
    Runs great; no glitches or lag.
    Can adjust some UI settings based on preference.
    Bad Stuff

Hard to get into for newcomers.
    Not super easy to control via touchscreen."
    edited November 2014
    bengoshi said:

"the game features acronyms that are mostly unfamiliar to non-pen-and-paper gamers. Like the acronym THAC0. Ever heard of that one? It means “To Hit Armor Class Zero”. I’ve never seen that one before. Icewind Dale never explained that one to me. Or what Wisdom is necessary for."

Someone has to look into the manuals, I guess.

Aedan said:

I seriously cannot stand people that pretend to understand game mechanics whithout reading the manuals and skipping the tutorial.
    Someone should choose another job...

To be fair the manuals aren't installed with the game. GoG.com installs might have them and Steam might have just the 2nd manual but Beamdog's don't (though you can download them on the website you purchase them on/in the Beamdog client page it is purchased on). If that is the case for Ipad, Iphones, and Androids (which very well might be the case) then I can definitely see that as being a valid criticism. There is also no button provided in-game that launches the manuals. So you can hardly criticize someone for not reading something that isn't consistently provided.

Ohh and he did he used the "tutorial", however the "How to Play" does move pretty fast, provides no control to let you pause or repeat individual instructions (rather than the full clips), and doesn't explain what THAC0 means (but it explains AC). So again that is a valid criticism. Especially give that it only does explain very basic functions (while leaving others out for whatever reason).

For instance it skips over things that wouldn't have taken that much longer to explain. Under "Reviving Party Members" it mentions that Raise Dead doesn't work on elves but even though its using a temples purchase screen to show this (and therefore has Resurrection right below) it never mentions that Resurrection will work on elves (which is particularly relevant given that the group created by Overhaul includes an Elf mage). Under "Thief Abilities" it doesn't explain Find Traps, Detect Illusions, or Set Traps.

Reviews that point out the faults to the game are more beneficial than ones that drool all over it. So I really don't see why Tom should "choose another job." I thought the review was a fair one (given that it is coming from the perspective of someone new to Infinity Engine games and that it was a review for tablet users).
    edited November 2014
    elminster said:

Ohh and he did he used the "tutorial", however the "How to Play" does move pretty fast, provides no control to let you pause or repeat individual instructions (rather than the full clips), and doesn't explain what THAC0 means (but it explains AC). So again that is a valid criticism. Especially give that it only does explain very basic functions (while leaving others out for whatever reason).

No, it is not a valid criticism.
    First, the tutorial is not supposed to explain EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of the game. It just gives the most important gameplay tips; after that, it is up to the player digging the game and discovering its mechanics specifically.
    Second, he can play the clips any time he wants. They do not last so much, so what's the problem?
    Last, the clip do not mention what THAC0 stands for, but it clearly explains its function; I seriously doubt that his knowledge of the game can dramatically change once he knows that THAC0 is the acronym for "To Hit Armor Class Zero".
  • _marotte_marotte Member Posts: 5
    I've played all the Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape torment games and never know what THAC0 stood for (until just now) or bothered to understand any D&D rules (I must have finished BG2 about 7 times!)

I never understood why people get so confused about the mechanics!
    edited November 2014
    Aedan said:

elminster said:

No, it is not a valid criticism.
    First, the tutorial is not supposed to explain EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of the game. It just gives the most important gameplay tips; after that, it is up to the player digging the game and discovering its mechanics specifically.
    Second, he can play the clips any time he wants. They do not last so much, so what's the problem?
    Last, the clip do not mention what THAC0 stands for, but it clearly explains its function; I seriously doubt that his knowledge of the game can dramatically change once he knows that THAC0 is the acronym for "To Hit Armor Class Zero".
    He is clearly using THAC0 as an example to other terms found in the game that are important but not explained outside of the manual (and as I stated if the manual isn't installed with the game they become an issue). The other one he brought up is wisdom, whose benefits aren't explained outside of the manual/looking up answers online. For someone making a new character who is unfamiliar to the game it is an issue.

I never once suggested that every single detail (there was zero need to capslock this I'm perfectly capable of reading) in the game be explained. So I'm not sure where that is coming from. But knowing how to find and disarm traps, as well as understanding what a saving throw is, how long a round/turn are, are for instance a few important gameplay tips that it does skip over (every spell in the game is going to make you want to know what a round, turn, hour, or saving throw means). The fact that THAC0 isn't defined is just a symptom of a bigger problem (especially given that it is a game being sold on tablets, where you might not be able to access the internet for answers at all times). At the very least a link to the manuals or a mention of them being on icewinddale.com should have been provided in the How To Play section.
    Friday has brought us another 3 reviews, each of them is different and focuses on certain aspects of IWDEE.

PCGAMER give only 74 out of 100 and continue the theme of THACO and all sorts of difficulties in understanding the game mechanics.

http://www.pcgamer.com/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-review/

"I never understood the D&D THACO combat system and it’s still obscure and unexplained here. Though the imbalances in it are fun, being unable to kill a boss because none of my magic weapons are +3 is daft. Similarly, though the new autoloot helps with finding items on the ground, you’ll still have to pixelhunt to find switches and crucial loot containers. And quicksave before each battle, because the jaunt to find a priest to resurrect a fallen character is always tedious and autosaves aren’t generous."

Although there can be different views on this subject as the dialogue between @elminster and @Aedan shows (I think both of these views are correct in something), I can't receive positively this review. Maybe because of such a phrase: "Anyway, following on that ‘mysterious quest in a pub’ RPG promise, Icewind Dale is as close to Diablo as Baldur’s Gate."

All I can say here is: "So hard to find decent reviewer nowadays..."

Toucharcade give this game 5 stars out of five. The reviewer is clear about his nostalgia of such kind of games and likes everything about IWDEE.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/11/13/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-review/

Maybe this review is the closest to me:

"Icewind has a very slow pace. In most modern RPGs, you will manage a bunch of quests at a time and usually only spend a few minutes on each one. When you take on a quest in IWD, you should not expect to finish it in one sitting. Main storyline quests especially represent this. I think the last quest I picked up has taken somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 hours to complete from start to finish. Is this a bad thing? no. I really like the throw back to a quest being a feat that you aren't neccessarily expected to complete easily. The quests feel like these monolithic lofty things that you can only glimpse small pieces of at a time. It's an important part of crafting the experience to make you feel like maybe your party bit off more than it can chew.

Combat is also a slow affair. You may have to rest between almost every fight in order to heal and recharge spells that are almost required for most serious fights. Resting has a decent chance of attracting enemies even if you do it in an enclosed area. Another bit about the game play is the difficulty. The game is really tough. My biggest recommendation is to enable auto-game pausing in the options. Without it you will probably be spending a large amount of time reloading after you lose party members. The broad scope of quests and the grave danger your heroes face combine to make for an epic feel. That's not a feeling you will get with many contemporary games and it's something that I miss. For players new to the genre, I would also suggest lowering the difficulty or hitting a wiki for help on building a competent group."

The third review is from a blogger and doest give any rating but provides the insight into the gameplay and problems on Android. It can be a useful feedback for the Devs.

http://mapacker.blogspot.ru/2014/11/icewind-dale-1-enhanced-review.html

"Sometimes there is so much going on within one screen that things slow down. I don't know if this is because I'm running it on an older Galaxy, but fortunately it doesn't upset the pace of giving commands. In that instance it could also be considered a bonus for people like me whose brains are somewhat labored and need more time executing strategy. Of course the lag isn't as bad with smaller parties, which you want for the sake of easily navigating and fighting in narrow passages, not to mention more XP going around and quicker leveling.

Occasionally there is a dilemma with camping. When I say camping, I refer to pressing the "sleep" button, the one that looks like a closed eye. The randomized encounters when you attempt to sleep makes the game more interesting, but the problem I have is when the game seems to pause for about a minute, showing only a black screen with no response. I also noticed that if I have a party of 6, the sound shuts off when it resumes and I have to restart the program to get it going again. Now this might simply be an error on the part of my tablet, so hopefully it doesn't affect anyone playing it on an Ipad or similar device."
  • Dutch News Paper, NRC Handelsblad (A Business paper :D ) 3/5

Mountain Monsters chopping

November 4, 2014

In the past years Beamdog polished classics like Baldur's Gate and its sequel Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal on. With much success. These games that a new generation of role-playing games inspired, were as impressive as their launch around the turn of the century. With Icewind Dale for Android devices Beamdog trying to repeat this success. The game in 2000, partly inspired by the fanciful bestsellers Robert Anthony Salvatore, let users do a job chopping through thousands of samples in the most barren mountains and chilly dungeons. Icewind Dale is more than predecessor Baldur's Gate focused on character development. Users can spend hours stabbing in creating a team of fighters before they enter the fight with demons and goblins. That does make sure that despite the strong and redress Icewind Dale especially for the hard core of role-playing games-loving gamers is entertaining.

http://www.nrc.nl/handelsblad/van/2014/november/04/bergmonsters-hakken-1435040

Bad translation, but readable I think
    A new spanish review is out. Maybe @CrevsDaak‌ can help us to understand it better :)

http://www.ludoqia.com/analisis-icewind-dale-enhanced-edition.html 8/10

I've managed to get a somewhat-looking-like-translation of their conclusion:

"As with all enhanced versions that they have removed Beamdog, the greatest enemy of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is that all, or almost all, it contains can be added free applying mods to the classic game. Is the investment worth? It depends, if you get equal to that mess, search and put the mods probably this title have little or nothing to say to you. If on the contrary you're most comfortable and prefer a pack with all inclusive and not have to worry about, this seems the winning choice. Icewind Dale is a title that, despite its shortcomings, deserves to be played, although it is also true that the price of this version can be somewhat high."

I doubt we can really install such mods on IWD so that it will look like IWDEE (especially UI and spells).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I just translated the introduction. i'll work on the rest when I have another block of free time to burn :)
    Translation:
    Icewind Dale it's like the smaller sibling, eclipsed by other, more succesful games. Not that it's a bad game nor anything, but it shared it's time with a game with great impact like Baldur's Gate II, a much more ambitious and complete title that cautivated both players and journalists alike.
    It's true that Icewind Dale didn't challenge it's brother directly, since it's pillar is the combat-oriented gameplay, but it's also true that the second part of Baldur's Gate is a rather more complete RPG than IwD. That's why, when Beamdog announced they've been working on an "enhanced" version of IwD, I got rather surprised, and in part I got happy, since I think that's like a consideration of the title. So, now... Are the enhancements and modifications from IWD:EE worth it? You'll find an answer on the following analisis.
    The first review from Russia.

http://app-time.ru/review/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition 7/10

Here's my translation of their conclusion:

"The porting of such games to mobile devices and their adaptation for modern hardware lets young gamers to taste and to enjoy the old games and to feel the difference between the masterpieces of old and new creations. In the past the main accent was made on the atmosphere, long interest because of the plot, the gameplay and other game features, while now it's on the beauty, realism and graphics. As they say, in the past the games made your head work and not only gave you a pleasant picture"

Pro: Detailed and interesting plot, quality dialogues, interesting gameplay and roleplay system

Con: Old graphics and no russian translation

And another new review, this time in English:

http://www.hardcoredroid.com/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-review/ 4/5

"Hopefully, all five Infinity Engine games will eventually make it to mobile platforms, because each one that does is a major addition to Android’s library of RPGs. The thing about these games, though, is that they’re really too in-depth to be played comfortably on anything smaller than a tablet. From shops to dialogue windows to the pausable real-time combat, all the game’s buttons become very small when scaled down to the size of a phone screen and the game suffers for it. Moving your party is especially difficult on a phone, because characters often get stuck around corners and it’s hard to be precise. Playing Icewind Dale on a PC or tablet is highly recommended over playing it on a phone, but that’s really a compliment: the game is too deep to fit onto a phone’s screen.

Anyone who likes RPGs or tactical combat and hasn’t played Icewind Dale is highly encouraged to pick it up, especially because the recently released Enhanced Edition comes with the original expansion packs and adds new character building options. If complexity, good design, and challenging gameplay are things you value in games, then Icewind Dale should be at the top of your list."
    edited November 2014
    FYI looks like you have a link for the word "mixed". Anyways, it makes it difficult to see because it appears as orange text like the rest of the links.

Another review

http://www.gamesidestory.com/2014/11/21/gametest-icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-pc-mac-linux/

The anniversary, 25th review is out!

http://www.retro101.co.uk/2014/11/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-review-pc.html 7/10

"From my perspective, without prior experience of the original, I still find the manner of this particular brand of RPG off-putting. It certainly helped seeing how Dan chose to attribute ability points in a way that made sense in terms of the mode of the game. I have always struggled with this more archaic character creation, preferring a more emergent character through play. I was surprised, however, how attached I became to my character (a gnome assassin-thief), and how much I wanted to carry on playing. The main quest is linear, but there seemed to be dotted side-quests here and there. The real nitty-gritty comes in load-outs, abilities, party balance and experience.

Little additions, such as more clear character identification rings, a very convenient mass-pick up loot bar and more elegant HUD, pleased the veteran player. I found some of the symbols familiar from Baldur's Gate, but there isn't a huge amount of help available for the novice. It is in the tradition of taking your time, immersing yourself in the world and enjoying the journey. On the way, the interface becomes second nature. What helped my understanding of the statistics was the (so Dan noted) clear, “show yer working” calculations for the characters. So I could follow why my charisma was at the rating it was at. On more aesthetic notes, I love the artwork of the cutscenes and the music is spot on. I'd recommend getting some custom avatar pictures and your own vocal sound. Well, I certainly will when I restart without a chaperone.

It is hard to predict the appeal of this. On one hand, fans of the original may get a big kick out of the extended main quest, squashing of bugs and more elegant presentation. Beamdog have done a good job of updating in lots of ways, despite Dan not immediately being blown away. It is clear to see that these classic role-playing titles can benefit from a little buff, here and there, but the guts of the engine and design still hold up well. I was pleasantly surprised with my first go, and look forward to another bash. Maybe it's time I learnt some patience."

Although there's a disclaimer at the start of the review: "I am not a seasoned Dungeons & Dragons player" and "role-playing games on PC aren't my poison of choice" it's still somewhat strange to see such notes as:
    - the manner of this particular brand of RPG off-putting - in a magazine that's called "Retro 101".

P.S. Thanks, @elminster‌ , now the OP looks much better and more clear :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Other part of the translation:

Technical Analisis
    The first virtue this version presents with respect to the original is that it we can play this classic in higher resolutions, something the original did not offer by default. This is something to be praised, but it's also true that, the actual resolutions don't help the game too much. Not that it looks bad, but it gives my the impression as if something doesn't fit. Probably it's something subjective, given the game does look good, but it caused a strange sensation on me.

In consonance with the aforementioned, IwD:EE has introduced a new graphical user interface (GUI) that adapts to the new reality of Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition, much wider and easier to understand for new players. There aren't much more news on this subject, but still, one shouldn't wait for miracles form the Infinity Engine, that nowadays has fifteen years on it's back. Besides, even if the character's sprites are a bit outdated, the environments and landscapes have absolutely the same strength as yore.

Gameplay
    Icewind Dale is centered in combat against waves and waves of monsters that live in the different hideouts of the Icewind Dale. This is precisely the pillar of the game, and in IwD:EE, as it couldn't be other way, it has maintained (as in preserve) and expanded thanks to the enhancements in this version.

IwD:EE incorporates to the game all the new classes BG2 added back in it's release, besides 122 additional spells that open a new spectrum of tactical possibilities. All this gives us the possibility to have a much more flexible party that in the original game, which was pretty closed when it comes to (character creation & customization) options. All of this could look pretty superficial, but in the end it's very important, because it gives us more resources and, the most important, a huge re-playability to the game.

It is worth mentioning we're right before a game that is pretty difficult and challenging, even at low levels. Thanks to all the previous, we can affront the challenges with a little bit more of easiness, but still, we have to fight and plan every millimeter of the combats, specially with the most dangerous enemies. Other incorporations of Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition are new items and bounties that reward our party and help to empower our heroes.

The game was already extensive by itself, and IwD:EE incorporates both expansions that the title received: the free one, Trials of the Luremaster and Heart of Winter. These expansions add many more hours of gameplay to the game, and also, Beamdog added six additional missions that contribute another little bit to the total.

Behind this issues, the game is the same as the original, with it's minor virtues and flaws, the game still has a lack of options when creating your band of adventurers. But, we have to remember that we're in the front of a game orientated on combat, and the options and decisions that would characterize a cRPG are lacking a lot.

About the sound
    The theme song in IwD:EE is still being fantastic, probably the best and most memorable of Black Isle's games. All the songs are packed with magic and an epic component that perfectly fits a game with this characteristics.

On the topic of voices, IwD:EE has spanish voice-over, but there are some phrases in english as well as even entire dialogs on certain NPCs. It's a chaos, and it remarks the topic of Beamdog's amateur translations. In some places, even names or an entire phrase don't go with the spoken line, that again remarks the same topic. Anyway, it's nothing determining but it looks very unprofessional.

Conclusion
    Like for every other game released by Beamdog, it's biggest enemy is the original game with mods. Everything that was added to the game can also be found by adding mods to the original game. It is worth the money? It depends if you like searching around and installing mods or just prefer downloading and playing. Icewind Dale, while it has some flaws, is that game that is really worth playing. Another thing to mention is the game's elevated price.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    CrevsDaak said:

Other part of the translation:

Like for every other game released by Beamdog, it's biggest enemy is the original game with mods. Everything that was added to the game can also be found by adding mods to the original game.

What a jerk :/