Skip to content

BG EE is way too Easy mode.

Been playing BG EE and I can see why some adult older hard core fans of Baldur's Gate are sticking to the original game on Sorcersplace. I finally finished the game and this entire game was a cakewalk compared to the original game. And I know what your gonna say.... No my characters didn't have full stats. When I created my character I didn't wait till I rolled a really high stat score. No I didn't choose any of the kits. Blah Blah Blah. There were at times some enemies hitting my characters and they would only take 1 damage and sometimes even no damage at all. In the Original Baldur's Gate when I got hit, I got hit hard and I had to be on top of my game when I went through Nashkel Mines too. I had to use the right positioning of my characters with the tanks in front and back protecting my mages and thieves. Those Kobolds you got in there hardly hit for anything at all. I felt like this whole game has been made for childern and casual gamers that need their hand held.

That Bounty Hunter Gray Wolf was a joke. That guy got plowed like a sack of Pancakes.

The developers I noticed put down the dmg output on the enemies in the game.

I bought this game because my Baldur's Gate does not work well on my windows 7. I bought this because its a more stable patched up version. If I would of known the developers made this game easy I wouldnt of bothered buying it. Why do you developers feel the need to make games so easy these days? Not all of us gamers like things done for us or easy. Why do you consistently keep making games for one type of gamer? This is why PC gaming in the MMORPG genre is in shitter. Having no challange in rpg games is boring. It makes the game boring with no feeling of reward. Load up the old 5 disk 1998 version and see for yourself.

Comments

• RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Suffice it to say, you are mistaken
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    the feel of the game was much clunkier and that's what made it tougher. low resolution + kobold archers = 3x difficulty
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Troll much
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2014
    The game content is more or less the same as before, some new kits (and Dorn) might make things a bit easier, but the biggest difference is:

1) You can now pause in inventory screen.
    2) Bigger stacks of stackable stuff.
    3) Tab Highlighting of loot (shouldn't matter for veterans, but makes a HUGE difference for a first timer playing blind.)

If you find it too easy, use the hardest difficulty setting, handicap yourself with personal "realism costraints", install SCS and try difficulty challenges like no-reloads. etc

@FinneousPJ‌
    You've been here long enough to know flame-baiting is unacceptable here.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited November 2014
    Trash, if the creature damage output is lower than in the original game than this would be a bug, not something devs changed intentionally. There is high chance that it will be fixed if you will be able to prove your point. Do you have newest 1.3 patch installed? It fixed the problem with broken creature thaco bonuses that used to lower overall damage received due to far lower chance for NPC to be hit. This is no longer a case.

Do some tests. Document it. If there is indeed a difference than post it in the bug section.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Perhaps playing on a lower difficulty level?
    The only other difficulty difference I could think of would be some mods (tutu) increased the random encounter spawns. In my experience, this actually makes the game easier because you amass experience and treasure at a faster rate. That makes you higher level, and richer, when you get to the set boss encounters. But your mileage may vary...
  • CalcipherCalcipher Member Posts: 10
    I love the EE. But in the vanilla one, when you lvled, the HP received was like a roll. Now its set to max everytime. For the rest its perfect. If you find the game too easy well tell us more about your group. It might help others.

You can also set the difficulty to max and or solo the game with 1 char.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited November 2014
    You probably played the game on normal, not core, so all your HP rolls where maxed and enemies did less damage. Thats a huge bump. Also, if it's so easy why not install SCS, or at least turn the difficulty up?
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Heindrich said:

@FinneousPJ‌
    You've been here long enough to know flame-baiting is unacceptable here.

When the shoe fits...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited November 2014
    yeah, taking 1 damage? that is definately not on the hardest difficulty, try the whole game on insane first before you say it's too easy, it's not possible to take 1 damage on insane, the minimun you could take is 2 damage
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Calcipher‌ That's just in the Normal difficulty. Core is the same as always.
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't playing with the CORE rules. Well let's wait for his feedback about the questions we asked.

Oh and "casual" isn't so terrible you know @Trash . But if it makes you feel better, nearly each "casual" RPG/MMO game has harder modes (or mods) for people like you.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    After reading this thread my self-esteem has dipped a bit. I remember getting killed a lot in the original (to the point where I stopped playing it, started and completed BG II then imported BG II final save char and played through again and then a few years later returned and finally completed BG while still getting killed a lot). Then when playing the EE I didn't get killed so often and I would think "I'm much better at this game than I was years ago, clearly experience counts for a lot!". But now I find out I've been playing at a lower difficulty level, which means I'm not as good as I thought I was!! Time to push the difficulty up a notch and carry on!!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    There's something to be said for playing on a lower difficulty on occasion and handing out delicious justice to those goons who were so annoying. And, yes, on occasion I Ctrl-Y the heck out of annoying enemies before reloading and killing them the proper way. It's stress relief! :)
    wigglesg said:

After reading this thread my self-esteem has dipped a bit. I remember getting killed a lot in the original (to the point where I stopped playing it, started and completed BG II then imported BG II final save char and played through again and then a few years later returned and finally completed BG while still getting killed a lot). Then when playing the EE I didn't get killed so often and I would think "I'm much better at this game than I was years ago, clearly experience counts for a lot!". But now I find out I've been playing at a lower difficulty level, which means I'm not as good as I thought I was!! Time to push the difficulty up a notch and carry on!!

At least your reaction is wayyyy better than the OP :)
    Good luck with your new CHARNAME and have fun (and use your experience well)!
    demented said:

I too found BG: EE a bit easy at first. I bemoaned my fate and gnashed my teeth, calling the wrath of the gods down upon those at Beamdog.

Then I realized you can change the difficulty settings.

If only everyone could admit their mistakes the way you did... :)
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    +1
    The original had core rules on by default. Setting it to easy you receive half damage, max hp.
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    Op is a troll *cough*
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Sceptenar‌ Yeah, and never visited again after posting this.
This discussion has been closed.