Skip to content

Ridiculously expensive merchandise

This has been bothering me ever since I started playing this game, years, ago, and it has now resurfaced with the Enhanced Edition having done nothing to address the issue.

There are plenty of magical items for sale in Kuldahar, with two merchants. Thing is, nearly all of them cost thousands of gold peaces, many of them tens of thousands. The former I can accept, barely, but the latter not so much: unlike in Baldur's Gate I'm never swimming in money here, can be happy to have several hundred coins in my pocket at one time - I don't think it would be even theoretically possible to collect enough money to purchase -one- of those items for sale, not even if you collected every single piece of tiniest loot you find and sold bloody everything.

Why are they even there? Why are they for sale when you can never purchase them? It's a tease, that's what it is. Stop teasing me!

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Those items are quite powerful, and are meant to be used in advanced stages of the game. You should have the gold then, if you're not wasting too much of it along the way :P

I can remember having around 30k by Dragon's Eye, and that's only Chapter Two. It's definitely possible to buy those items reasonably soon.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Frankly I don't know why you're not swimming in money. I finished my first playthrough of the game yesterday, I had bought everything I wanted (which was a lot) and I still had a solid half million in gold to throw around afterwards.

You are clearly doing something wrong. You do know that when you kills someone you get to take their stuff right?
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Yeah, one mustn't be too lazy pick up every gold piece, open every box and carry stuff for selling back to town. I've never had a lack of gold, even though I hoard every unique item.
  • AndewCCAndewCC Member Posts: 3
    You should not expect to just roll into Kuldahar from Easthaven and be able to buy the really good stuff. the +3 weapons are ones you would be using at the endgame and by then you'll have plenty of $$$
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Just save a bit of money at the start of the game and buy a bag of holding. Then you can pick up *everything* and sell it. Also if you do HoW before finishing the main quest the monsters start dropping tons of low level magic items that sell quite well. When you have ~25 +1 longswords selling at ~700 gold each, it is easy to make tons of money.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    cmk24 said:

Just save a bit of money at the start of the game and buy a bag of holding. Then you can pick up *everything* and sell it. Also if you do HoW before finishing the main quest the monsters start dropping tons of low level magic items that sell quite well. When you have ~25 +1 longswords selling at ~700 gold each, it is easy to make tons of money.

From who can Bag of Holding be bought?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's in Kuldahar, either from the smith or mage (can't quite remember). It costs around 11K.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Is that new in IWD:EE? The only bag of holding I remember was that broken one you find somewhere in the Severed Hand (the one that's full of junk and dead animals).
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    no, there was always one in totl

i have two bags of holding and they don't cost the same. the one that i bought is ~8000k and the one that i found ~4000k. a pretty stupid bug :)
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

cmk24 said:

From who can Bag of Holding be bought?
    You can get it from the mage in the tower on the west side of Kuldahar.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Paradox said:

bob_veng said:

no, there was always one in totl

i have two bags of holding and they don't cost the same. the one that i bought is ~8000k and the one that i found ~4000k. a pretty stupid bug :)

Sorry I have too it really bugs me

4000k = 4 Million
    8000k = 8 Million

damn...i wanted to write gp
    you have to believe me :D
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571

Friend spell with a bard!

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The maximum discount you can receive at a store happens at a charisma of 20 so any mage or bard with chr >= 14 will have the maximum effect.

Yes, some of the equipment is overly expensive. Fortunately, the really expensive equipment now does what it was supposed to do in the vanilla game--in years past you would spend way too much for special flavor text on a generic +3 weapon (or whatever it was supposed to be). Money can be a little slow to find it great quantities until you hit the Severed Hand but by the time you hit chapter 7 you will be using gold pieces as shingles on your roof because you can't find enough uses for them all, presuming you don't head out to Lonelywood first.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    Let's hear for the powergaming in us y'all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfjVyGpLoY

Have you ever considered finishing the game ? :) I used to say myself that. That it won't matter after.