Skip to content

General questions. IWD for newbies and semiprofs

Comments

• RogolRogol Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2014
    @Sjerrie Just started again with a party of monk, paladin, druid, cleric/illusionist (gnome), bard, and fighter/thief (dwarf). The monk actually has an extra kick animation, that I don't remember them having in BG, so that alone makes them better. Good to hear that there are some monk-specific items sprinkled in.
    Sjerrie
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @Rogol assuming you mean BG2, they did have those animations, but as for how often the kick animation was actually used I have no idea. (There were some issues with other attack animations, like swinging a spear at someone, but those were eventually adjusted by a mod.)

Looks like an interesting party!
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    @Rogol‌

I found a pair of monk specific bracers fairly early on.
    DKnight said:

So yeah I got stuck with battle at 5th lvl of Dragons Eye. Its not particularly tough but not easy either. I just want to know what is the main thing that changes the tide of battle?

Do I use my spellcasters and magic missile the yuan ti god? Thats what I figured would work.

Or should i take care of the spellcasters and melee. That doesnt seem like an idea. Its a tough battle but not as tough as I have faced before. Summons might be useful.

I found this battle very, very difficult. It took me a few hours to beat, but I think that was mostly because of my party and spell selection. You need spells that ignore magic resistance and disable the enemy. So things like Web and stinking cloud. I used entangle and spike growth because that was all I had. My current only arcane spellcaster is a sorcerer, so I couldn't just change his spell selection. Going to dual my thief to a mage next level. I got lucky with a chromatic orb, and it held her long enough for me to kill her.
    Sjerrie
  • VesimasVesimas Member Posts: 42
    edited November 2014
    What do you think, immagine a level 20 character, a Swashbuckler with +6hit +7dam +5ac with 3/2 attacks (pips + class bonus) or a Fighter 7 dual classes thief 19 with +3hit +5dam with 5/2 attacks (pips)?

Edit: forgot to tell HoF mode
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Vesimas I don't understand the question.
    Ops i forgot the question :D which is better? Pure Thief Swashbuckler or Fighter dual class thief? :D
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Billy the one-legged Xvart is better than a single class Swashbuckler.
    PibaroDinsdalePiranha
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Define better ;)

I think the fighter dual will ultimately have more hp and deal more damage, but the swashie will be useful throughout the game and won't lose by a huge margin in the end.
    I tryed a little in BG2 and EEkeeper and the pure Swashbuckler loose a lot from using dual wield: at 20° with normal weapon and 18 STR it has 4/10 thaco. While a Swashbuckler 11 dual Fighter 15, same exp of a 20 swash, has 0/4 thaco and more apr and should cover the essential thif skill with 100 in open lock and trap finding.

Since i'm planning a HoF run i suppose it's better the second option
  • TurkeytimeTurkeytime Member Posts: 1
    My question is Cleric spell conversion to Healing? Can't get it to work. Shift Key? Does it matter what alignment / faith? Neutral Good thanks
    Vesimas said:

I tryed a little in BG2 and EEkeeper and the pure Swashbuckler loose a lot from using dual wield: at 20° with normal weapon and 18 STR it has 4/10 thaco. While a Swashbuckler 11 dual Fighter 15, same exp of a 20 swash, has 0/4 thaco and more apr and should cover the essential thif skill with 100 in open lock and trap finding.

Since i'm planning a HoF run i suppose it's better the second option

Both single and duel class Swashbucklers loose a huge amount compared to a vanilla thief or assassin duel class if you use 3rd edition sneek attack.
  • WelkinWelkin Member Posts: 14
    Druid kit questions, can you cast spells when shapeshifted? And how does the totemic kit measure up? As strong or are you missing out
    Welkin said:

Druid kit questions, can you cast spells when shapeshifted? And how does the totemic kit measure up? As strong or are you missing out

1) No.

2) IWD druids get much better forms, but the summons are still strong. Pretty balanced I would say.
    edited November 2014
    Do the weapon style proficiencies apply when a weapon is equipped (secondary) or only when being used?

Just wondering if I have a f/m for magic and ranged attacks that should rarely need their melee weapon is there any point in picking a one handed weapon and style for the secondary weapon and maybe gain the -2 AC (rather than a two handed weapon).
    Post edited by Welkin on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you must equip the weapon in order for the ac bonus to apply. single weapon style won't work with a bow.
    Also I don't think any weapon styles apply to bows. Not even two handed weapon style.
    jackjackKlorox
    edited November 2014
    I know, I probably shouldn't have used the term equipped, I just wanted to check that the bonus only applied to the weapon you were holding and not just one that was in a weapon slot. My mage and thief use bows predominantly, with two handed weapons in a weapon slot ready to switch to, its that second weapon I was asking about.
    edited November 2014
    Welkin said:

Do the weapon style proficiencies apply when a weapon is equipped (secondary) or only when being used?

bob_veng said:

you must equip the weapon in order for the ac bonus to apply. single weapon style won't work with a bow.

For a weapon style or a weapon itself to give you a bonus, you must be currently wielding said weapon.
    jackjack
    edited November 2014
    Welkin said:

I know, I probably shouldn't have used the term equipped, I just wanted to check that the bonus only applied to the weapon you were holding and not just one that was in a weapon slot. My mage and thief use bows predominantly, with two handed weapons in a weapon slot ready to switch to, its that second weapon I was asking about.

i understood you the first time perfectly. it would be wrong that you get what is ostensibly a parry bonus from single weapon style while you are holding a bow which is neither used with a single hand nor can be used to parry.

you should understand weapon styles as how they translate into the fictional reality of the game

*single handed* imagine a fencer using an elegant style of swordsmanship, parrying enemies blows. hence the ac bonus.

*sword and shield* imagine a not-at-all elegant legionnaire blocking blows with his shield. hence the shield ac bonus. once he becomes more agile with the clumsy object in his hand, he learns to better position himself and the shield to block not only hand-to-hand but also ranged attacks.

*two handed* imagine a knight wielding a giant sword with great ease and precision. his exceptional coordination enables him to use the otherwise unwieldy weapon to the best of it's advantages and to strike fast and hit the right spots. hence speed factor, damage and critical hit roll bonus

*two weapon style* imagine a samurai wielding two swords in a duel after years of practicing with his offhand to achieve a near-ambidextrous level of skill. hence better chance to hit.
    Sjerriekcwisejackjack
    Does anyone know how weapon styles intereract with the off hand bard item? Does it count as a shield, nullifying single weapon style but enabling the bonuses for weapon and shield style?
    kcwisejackjack
    @Fardragon, according to the game files that lyre counts as a shield, and the only effects it gives are the extra spells, there's nothing about off-setting the (presumably lost) single weapon bonus.

I personally would find it silly however if suddenly the shield bonus would apply, since a lyre isn't exactly designed for blocking...
    kcwisejackjack
    Sjerrie said:

@Fardragon, according to the game files that lyre counts as a shield, and the only effects it gives are the extra spells, there's nothing about off-setting the (presumably lost) single weapon bonus.

I personally would find it silly however if suddenly the shield bonus would apply, since a lyre isn't exactly designed for blocking...

I dunno, you could fend off a few arrows with it. Improve the tone.
    kcwiseSjerriejackjack
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Does IWD use the same infinity engine as BGEE and BG2EE and can you import a BG character into IWD?
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    It is mostly the same engine with a few updates and while you may be able to import a char it will break some stuff if it works at all. Most items will not be present because they are not in the game or have a different string and classes where there are changes between the game may cause problems in some cases.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    okay cool... i hope they use the same engine for IWD2EE i didn't like the 3rd edition or the interface.
    atcDavejackjack
    they will have to use 3e rules if they decide to do it. they said there won't be chaning of rulesets
    Avenger_teambg
    I much preferred the 3E rules and the IWD2 interface!

I hope that they do make IWD2:EE, but I must say, I think chances are slim. IWD1 is a lot more similar to BG1 and BG2 than IWD2 is to any of them. So there would be a lot of new work that would have to be done to get everything to work. And a lot of the new stuff in IWD:EE came from mods and from BG:EE, whereas in IWD2:EE, there is just not that much to work from.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Also changing the rules would mean that they need to do a mayor overhaul of pretty much everything.
  • ChackChack Member Posts: 23
    Are shields a viable option in IWD? Or is tws the way to go as in BG?
    If shields are ok, is s&s style any good? Or is it just a waste od pips as in BG?

And finally, when is iwdee comming to ipad?