Skip to content

Only one Find Familiar use per party?

My party has one sorcerer and one fighter/mage. I just found my second Find Familiar scroll but can't seem to use it, I get an error saying the spell is already in effect. I'm guessing that's from the first character's familiar, is there an intentional limit on one per party or is that a bug?

If it's not a bug is there any way to safely get rid of the first familiar and free up a space for the second charcter without losing a point of Con permanently?
booinyoureyes

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Read the spell description. Only one party member can have a familiar.
    booinyoureyesCaptRoryJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    In vanilla BG2 only the PC could have a familiar, and only if the PC was a mage or bard. I assume BG:EE is the same?

Does anyone know if a thief with Use any Item can get one too?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Engine limitation if I remember correctly. As noted only the protagonist in BG(II) can use the spell and ID probably got around that by just flagging everyone as the protagonist.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Also think about it... even though familiars are only good in a few situations, in thou situations where they are good it would be way too strong to have a ton of familiars.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2014

In vanilla BG2 only the PC could have a familiar, and only if the PC was a mage or bard. I assume BG:EE is the same?

Does anyone know if a thief with Use any Item can get one too?

The first character to cast the spell gets the familiar in IWD. They don't have to be in the leader slot like BG. I'm guessing that if the familiar is killed a different character could summon one.

There are no HLAs in IWDEE, so thieves can't get UAI.
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    D'oh sorry wrong forum. Well to compound my sins, I think rangers in BG:EE can also summon familiars, possibly this applies to IWD too.
    RAM021
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Beastmaster Rangers can summon a familiar. I'm pretty sure it counts againt the cap.
    jackjack