Skip to content

[Known, #5268] [CORE] - Harper's Call Bug

2»

Comments

• PitjaPitja Member Posts: 2
    prophet1 said:

Cherudek said:

The spell is actually cast according to the log. I think the issue might be that the temporary constitution malus kills the target again, since he/she is raised with only 1 hitpoint.

Looks like you're right - after editing the spell to remove the effect responsible for the temporary CON penalty, it worked. I'm attaching the .SPL file for anyone interested in a temporary fix (unzip and put into your BG2EE override folder). It's not the best solution since in vanilla BG2 the spell worked perfectly iirc while also applying all penalties per description, but for now this will do the trick.
    Is there any guide telling how to install this .spl file ? I cannot seem to find this file in game folder
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Pitja said:

prophet1 said:

Cherudek said:

The spell is actually cast according to the log. I think the issue might be that the temporary constitution malus kills the target again, since he/she is raised with only 1 hitpoint.

Looks like you're right - after editing the spell to remove the effect responsible for the temporary CON penalty, it worked. I'm attaching the .SPL file for anyone interested in a temporary fix (unzip and put into your BG2EE override folder). It's not the best solution since in vanilla BG2 the spell worked perfectly iirc while also applying all penalties per description, but for now this will do the trick.
    Is there any guide telling how to install this .spl file ? I cannot seem to find this file in game folder
    Place it in your override folder and it will run over the original
  • PitjaPitja Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for help
    Fixed
    Post edited by Pitja on
  • Mattly99Mattly99 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the fix it worked for me.
  • RokuanvirRokuanvir Member Posts: 2
    So I'm playing the Steam Version of this game and the damned Bug *WILL NOT FIX*... omg I've searched the interwebs for 2 hours.

Evidently I don't have an "override" folder?

PLEASE HELP! I love this game... I hate steam...
  • RokuanvirRokuanvir Member Posts: 2
    @Gate70

You rock dude. That thread helped me figure out how to make my own "Override" folder. More importantly: where to put it.

For those wondering... C:Program Files (x86)~>Steam~>steamapps~>common~>Baludr's Gate II Enhanced Edition~>Override (you'll have to make your own override folder)~>((put the fix script inside the newly made override folder))
  • caiocproencacaiocproenca Member Posts: 4
    Hi there, it`s not working for me. I did put the script file inside the "Override" folder that I created (MAC OSX: Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition/Override) but the spell is not working. I killed Aerie to try to revive her with the spell after I created the Override folder and paste the script file inside, but nothing happens, Jaheira just lost 8pts of HP and that`s it. Can anyone help me?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    @caiocproence if you have the Beamdog version the override folder should be in...
    Right click the .app and click on "Show Contents", that will open the path to the Override folder.
    The file you have to drop there is in a zip in this post.
    @CrevsDaak, thanks for the info, but I did it as you explained. Nothing happened, Jaheira still is getting 8pts of damage and Aerie didn`t revived. Do you think I made something wrong?
    @caiocproenca give it a try with this file instead. It won't deal the damage.
    Didn`t work either. :/
    @caiocproenca are you sure you have named the folder "override" and that it is in the BG2:EE directory?
    edited January 2014
    UPDATE: @CrevsDaak, I didn`t paste the file on the right place last time. Now it is working fine (Inside the Game Data/00782/BGEE/Contents/Resources/override). Last time I was pasting the file inside the Launcher folders (by mistake). Thanks for all the help. And sorry for my misunderstanding. :)
    Post edited by caiocproenca on

UPDATE: @CrevsDaak, I didn`t paste the file on the right place last time. Now it is working fine (Inside the Game Data/00782/BGEE/Contents/Resources/override). Last time I was pasting the file inside the Launcher folders (by mistake). Thanks for all the help. And sorry for my misunderstanding. :)

Don't worry, my BG:EE launcher had an override folder for some time too.
  • Darek_DeathDarek_Death Member Posts: 56
    I have had this problem as well, from the beginning. The spell seems to work properly, the only problem is that it revives to 1HP before it does the stat reduction (which drops them into negative; killing them), if it did the stat penalty before the revive then it wouldn't have that problem. I don't have a fancy programming degree or anything, but can't they just reverse the order at which it activates those lines of code?

Someone could probably even make a mod for that. If one can't adjust the order they're done in; reading through this thread it sounds like people made a mod to delay the damage the caster takes, so theoretically one could make a delay on the revive/set-hp-1 so that the negative to stats happens first. If I had a piece of software to read and write the game data I would do it. But I don't have the time to search the web for something that works on my mac. I tried DLTCEP but it cannot save files, probably a bug it has on mac.

@caiocproenca‌ You can also place the file in the games Documents folder instead of in the application...
    [Hard Drive] > Users > [You] > Library > Containers > com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition > Data > Documents > Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition > override
    I don't know why Beamdog has BG and BG2 Documents folder in such a complicated location rather than dropping it in the Documents folder such as [Hard Drive] > Users > [You] > Documents > Beamdog >
    (Seems like that would make more sense, but meh. You can always make an alias and drop it wherever you want.)
  • Trigon_LionheartTrigon_Lionheart Member Posts: 5
    Hello Guys, so I have the same problem, and I have the steam Version. I tried the fix, but rather then revive the dead, everyone starts to freak and run away, like with the fear magic. And I'm in the magic sphear, so I can't go to a priest :(
  • BloggzBloggz Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Athiuen said:

Expected Behaviour: The spells functions as 'Raise Dead'.

Observed Behaviour: The Spell inflicts 8 damage on the caster with no other effects (observed twice).

The spell fires, Jaheira takes roughly 8 damage, but the target of the spell not only does not come back to life, but their HP go from zero to negative numbers. I've had Minsc go as low as neg 17. It has to be an issue with the way the stats are lowered temporarily that is preventing them coming back to life.

FYI -- for anyone trying to download the fix file, you may have to make an account and log in before you can. I had to, at least.

• stevenallensonstevenallenson Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Whoops sorry for taking up the space. i figured it out
    Bloggz said:

Athiuen said:

Expected Behaviour: The spells functions as 'Raise Dead'.

FYI -- for anyone trying to download the fix file, you may have to make an account and log in before you can. I had to, at least.

Post edited by stevenallenson on
  • VengentzVengentz Member Posts: 2
    Harpers call still remains useless from the vanilla version of the game. Will have to attempt some of the posted work around solution to make it work.
  • MWOMWO Member Posts: 214
    The spell Harper's Call (Jaheira) doesn't work. I think it might be because of the spell's effect - it gives minus stats for that character for a short period of time (which means you'll probebly lose HP due to constitution loss). The characters that's trying to be ressurected by this spell simply dies and nothing happens.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Its a known issue.
  • CharlatanCharlatan Member Posts: 25
    For those who are still not convinced that the damage-to-jaheira part is NOT the cause:

Try slap Iron Skins onto Jaheira then use Harper's Call. She won't be hit and the revive doesn't happen anyway. It is >definitly< the stat reduction.
  • YellzBellzYellzBellz Member Posts: 1

@caiocproenca‌ You can also place the file in the games Documents folder instead of in the application...
    [Hard Drive] > Users > [You] > Library > Containers > com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition > Data > Documents > Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition > override
    I don't know why Beamdog has BG and BG2 Documents folder in such a complicated location rather than dropping it in the Documents folder such as [Hard Drive] > Users > [You] > Documents > Beamdog >
    (Seems like that would make more sense, but meh. You can always make an alias and drop it wherever you want.)

I put the file in...
    C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\override
    and it didnt work.

I'm running the steam edition of BGII:EE, Playing the Shadows of Amn. My steam directory looks like...
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition
    _CommonRedist
    data
    lang
    movies
    music
    scripts
    -balders.exe
    -build-date.txt
    -chitin.key

The data folder contains all .bif files.

I don't know where to put the override folder since it didnt work in the user documents folder where the saves are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Override needs to be in the game folder rather than the documents folder @YellzBellz‌

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18508/override-directory-locations/p1 should help you locate the correct place.
  • AkengenAkengen Member Posts: 1
    I'm normally very apprehensive when it comes this type of editing and such because I'm an idiot and I mess things up. This was super easy! Thanks everyone of the info! The hardest part was figuring out I need to register and confirm my email address before being able to click on the zip file. Everything works now! Huzzah!