Skip to content

remakeing games, will it ever happen again?

etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
just something i was wondering..
do you guys think that other (new) games, with a big fan base. mayhaps the mass effect series, will ever see a enchanted edition maybe 10 years from now?
or is this bacause these games are just that good?
Post edited by Coriander on
Teflon

Comments

• CelebCeleb Member Posts: 14
    People were saying 'gee, this is a decent RPG but it is not on the level of Baldurs Gate' too many times, hihi.

Old gamers are used to mention Baldur's Gate whenever there is a talk about favourite games or new RPGs. When games have big fanbase there is a chance of sequels (Fallout, Diablo, HoMM) and even remakes. Look at Nintendo. They love to remake their games (recently Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Pokemon Heart Gold). I'd like to see Enhanced Edition of Ultima. Didn't play it, but saw reviews.

I don't know if Mass Effect series is going to get old. These games will look fresh for the looong time.
  • AliiszaAliisza Member Posts: 1
    Honestly, I think these games are unique in their perfect storm of engine, story, graphics, and fans, and that's why they deserve the remake. Most current games only seem to warrant sequels, and when the universe gets too complicated, they get a reboot (i.e., Mortal Kombat).
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    With the pace of advancement in technology, it essential to update the graphics and engines of old games to make them playable on the latest systems. There are many great old games out there that are buggy or unplayable on anything but windows 95!

With the forthcoming BGEE, it should be good for another ten years, or longer.
    NWN_babaYaga
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    edited July 2012
    I'd love to see KotOR II Enhanced Edition. As you probalby know, Lucas Arts forced (ho ho ho) the game to be released earlier and that's why the game contains a lot of unfinished dialogues and content and in all of its awesomeness I believe it could do even better. Graphics on KotOR games are fine, it's just the content that was removed from the game. There is mod that brings some of that, but I don't believe it's all they wanted to implement. I would want the reedition that would solve this "unfinished business" and maybe have some minor tweaks.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    As you probalby know, Lucas Arts forced (ho ho ho)
    I laughed at that, which is kinda terrible :-p

Seconded, btw. Knights of the Old Republic 2 was such a wasted opportunity. Considering Lucasarts has never once admitted a mistake though, it prooobably won't happen.
    @Drugar I loved KotOR II even more than the first one, but this game could be even better. And, hopefully someone tweaks it a bit in the future :)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    KotOR 2's enhanced edition would be a killer, in the good way. I am one of those few that think it was so much better than the first one. Simply because it's not the classical BioWare's Good and Evil. It's gray. It's all gray. Whichever action you do, it won't be absolutely good or absolutely evil. I guess that's one of the major advantages of Obsidian over BioWare. Both have great writing, but I feel like Obsidian has more potential, which is sadly untapped.

That being said, another game I'd LOVE to see an EE would probably be Arcanum. That game is simply fantastic, I really love it and how you can develop through the game.

All this sort of derail being said, I see a lot of potential for the EE of Baldur's Gate. Simply because I feel that mr. Oster and crew are dedicated. Remember old Interplay's motto? I feel like Overhaul Games is some kind of bearer of it. Or I might just be crazy, at which point I will say that I will take my leave and eat some cookies!

Conclusion : I see a lot of potential in Enhanced Editions. I don't know if I'd support all of them, but certainly some important ones, from games which never reached that BIG hit that they so clearly deserved, those... those are the ones I'd gladly support and pay even big bucks for 'em :)
    powerfulally
    edited July 2012
    @Cheesebelly Agreed. KotOR was grey as hell and had more interesting characters than 1 did (let's just take Kreia - she's pretty unpredictable, once she likes if you helped someone, another time she likes it when you killed a man. Dialogues with her were probably the hardest in the whole series). KotOR II was much more mature than KotOR I was. And Jedi Exile pwns Revan sooooo hard ;)

I really feel that Enhanced Editions are way to go. I can see a LOT of positive things happening on the market now - kickstarter, digital distribution and recently, bringing back the old classics in a better form. I also like the way Trent and others handled the whole situation, with respect to the game itself. And I'm really sure the results will be awesome. Maybe we're facing the rebirth of classic gaming experience, something that was taken off the market for years.
    etagloc
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    The idea about remaking games sound perfect to me. It does not change the original feeling and makes the whole game better.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    etagloc said:

just something i was wondering..
    do you guys think that other (new) games, with a big fan base. mayhaps the mass effect series, will ever see a enchanted edition maybe 10 years from now?

They are looking forward to , if you give them clues. Everybody does what they want , and I'm not supporting any of the "animating&ornating the dead" no more. Yes , I know that's what I do too. But I'm not asking for your money.

There's a disturbing feeling I'm getting about this EEs , it's also a little high compared to other reduxes. Poor necromancy , I say :)
    Zeckul said:

I'm not a big fan of remakes personnally. BGEE will be something special because it's BG, but what I really want is new great games in the style of BG. I hope Beamdog moves away from remakes soon and into new territory.

edited November 2014

This is a redux of a very early work from a VG. Just for comparison reasons.

The original is :

There's a great loss here too certainly isn't it , consult your feelings. But at least it offers something "different". The EE's took away some feelings and did not create new ones "for me". Shadows of Amn was a less dense in artistic expression I think , with all the excessity of Jonaleth even. Thus BG2:EE turned to ashes 0.

These are critics , and I'm not stealing your revenue. Thanks.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Yeah I hope to see those games you mentioned become 'abandonware'.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Baldur's Gate: Holodeck Edition Coming Summer 2034
    KamigoroshimeaglothCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited November 2014
    "Will it ever happen again?" - yes, it's happening right now. :P

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-09-wintry-survival-sim-midwinter-is-getting-a-remake-in-2015

Most of you are too young to remember Midwinter (you young whippersnappers! ;) ), but a group is working on a remake of this game. Although information is thin on the ground at the moment, I recently contacted one of the people involved, and he assured me that it was still going ahead.

Also:

http://riseofthetriad.net/web/app.php - this is a remake of an old DOS game. The new version even contains many nods to the old version (and with an awesome soundtrack based on the original).

Also, what is Shroud of the Avatar, if not a remake of Ultima Online?

So...yeah, it still happens.
    kcwise said:

Baldur's Gate: Holodeck Edition Coming Summer 2034

Ha! I would so play that!! XD (as long as I don't have to wear those stupid, and totally anachronistic, outfits used for avatars in the IE games...)
    CrevsDaak
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @Squire‌ "What happened to my pants!"
    CrevsDaak
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    all I an say is... I hope so. I really don't know, considering games are starting to look extremely realistic without much room for improvement. maybe it will happen to bring games up console generations/operating systems? i want to think it will happen though just because i like to think that a Mass Effect remake would change the ending after all the controversy it stirred up, and I think whoever did the remake would want to avoid bringing that back up.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Absolutely, people long for nostalgia-rides, and the teenagers of today will want to replay their "uncharted's" and their "last of us" and their mass effects when the consoles they played them on no longer work or don't let you play them. I can play my old NES cartridges today, but digital downloads i bouggt in 2013 won't work like that in 25 years.

You see the same things in film. Remakes, re-imagining, and rehashing are commonplace.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers just recently got a 20th anniversary edition with improved graphics and redone voices. I am sad about the redone voices, as so many famous people worked on the original game (including Mark Hamill, Tim Curry, Michael Dorn, Leah Rimini, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. … even Jim Cummings!).
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • gettincrzygettincrzy Member Posts: 21
    I think there will always be remakes and honestly I think that is good. It adds a bit of longevity to great games that might have been completely forgotten otherwise. Like this game. Great, great game but just got buried because it wasn't super easily accessible. It deserves the spot in the limelight and to put on all kinds of lists. That happens to too many games.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Also, the most important thing about this question:

Will we ever see games remade again?

The answer is simply: if there is money to be made, then yes, yes you will see them remade. Business is what makes the world go round.
    jackjack
    CoryNewb said:

Will we ever see games remade again?

The answer is simply: if there is money to be made, then yes, yes you will see them remade. Business is what makes the world go round.

hahaha :) the reason why they are not remaking hopscotch or telephone game.
    edited November 2014
    Would Blizzard Entertainment pop champagnes if their telephone game made widespread success ? Would children be happy if they can play a game Blizzard made that requires no money ?

CoryNewb said:

Are you interested in continuing this resurrected thread ?

I am :D

Post edited by old_jolly2 on