Skip to content

Really? No Whovians in the House?

13»

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    *just finished watching the season finale*

All I can say is that I'm really looking forward to that Christmas special. o_o;;
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @Heindrich‌

Yea. Clara's character got really weird. I'm not sure what's up with the pink thing, either. I think what happened was they had all these different stories going, Iike usual, to be tied together in the finale: missy, clara, pink, Gallifry(sp?) the new doctors questionable ethics, ect, but instead of all fitting together in one big, amazing way they just all kinda fizzled and died, and they had to do something with the broken pieces.
    Clara is having an identity crisis(it's obvious they're having to turn her character into something it wasn't meant to be, and it doesn't look very natural) pink died(wtf, they could have had that soldier v. Doctor conflict going for a while) and the doctor went to find him in hell, which I thought was a huge break in character, for the doctor in general, and for this newer, colder doctor.

The whole season- especially the fanale, felt very rushed. They where trying to fit far to many plot lines and conflicts into to few episodes. Not only was this season exceedingly short, but it also had a great deal of stand alone adventures leaving even less room for the overarching story arch. There was almost no time to build any dramatic tension, though the season and the fanale.

Also, the science has gotten far worse. The premise of many episodes has been way to far fetched for me to suspend disbelief. The mummy on the orient express was pushing it, but that was a lot of fun so I let it fly. But the moon being an egg? That was *awful* it was just hard to watch. The moon was gaining mass just cause it was growing, then some amazing space dragon, never before seen and completely uninque pops out, and nobody cares. That could have been amazing, but the show never gave it a second though. Then this newly born space dragon laid a new egg- exactly the same as the old one, as soon as it hatched. Holy deus ex Machina. (Same thing with missy) I won't even start on the trees me the solar flare- they didn't even ever bother to explain that one.

*sigh*
    HeindrichNonnahswriter
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Heindrich said:

but one of the big things I liked about Doctor Who was how everything all tied together in huge and unpredictable plots.

The huge plots are one of the things I have never really liked about Moffat. The older series (which I suppose just dates me) would keep plots generally within 2-4 episodes (though in the older series episodes would be like 23 minutes long so we'll say within an hour and a half worth of tv). I'm not really a fan of grand plots, especially when you end up writing episodes like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
    elminster said:

Heindrich said:

but one of the big things I liked about Doctor Who was how everything all tied together in huge and unpredictable plots.

The huge plots are one of the things I have never really liked about Moffat. The older series (which I suppose just dates me) would keep plots generally within 2-4 episodes (though in the older series episodes would be like 23 minutes long so we'll say within an hour and a half worth of tv). I'm not really a fan of grand plots, especially when you end up writing episodes like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
    Dinasours on a spaceship was a really well thought out episode that fit the show and the characters very well.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    elminster said:

The huge plots are one of the things I have never really liked about Moffat.

@elminster‌

Of course it is a question of personal preference and taste. There are different styles used by different shows. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a classic example of a "Monster of the Week" format, but linked up in overarching plots that last across entire seasons, and sometime even multiple seasons. Doctor Who has also used that kind of style in recent years. River Song for example started fairly insignificantly, and grew into a huge main story plot, all the while most of the episodes were self-contained stories, like Vampires in Venice.

This year I think they got the pacing of the big plot all wrong. We basically knew nothing about Missy until the finale. Character and plot development felt really disjointed and forced as a result.
    elminsterNonnahswriter
    [spoiler]
    Heindrich said:

Vampires in Venice.

This year I think they got the pacing of the big plot all wrong. We basically knew nothing about Missy until the finale. Character and plot development felt really disjointed and forced as a result.

@‌hiendrich
    We all kinda knew she was going to be the master though. Who else?[/spoiler]
    mlnevese
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

@meagloth‌
    I didn't know for sure, but then I am not a hardcore Doctor Who fan. I only started watching from David Tennant onwards.

Anyway my point is that there was a total lack of buildup to the finale. Remember how long Moffat teased the "cracks in the universe" and "fall of silence" and "fields of Trenzalore" etc... before paying them off? This season it just sorta all happened in the finale.
    edited November 2014
    [spoiler]

@meagloth‌
    I didn't know for sure, but then I am not a hardcore Doctor Who fan. I only started watching from David Tennant onwards.

Me too, for the record. I just though it seemed a bit transparent. Not glaringly obvious, but I certainly wasn't shocked. If you watched the pre/aftershow after this seasons first episode missy being a female master was talked about even then. [/spoiler]
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2014
    im not a real fan of current doctor who (I used to love the old ones as a kid) but I think ive seen the entirety of this season and I thought that last episode was just terrible. probably the worst ive seen of the newer doctor episodes imo
    meagloth
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    meagloth said:

We all kinda knew she was going to be the master though. Who else?

Nonnahswriter
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Erg said:

meagloth said:

We all kinda knew she was going to be the master though. Who else?

Oh my gosh, The Rani would've been a much better choice.
    Erg