Skip to content

Lore

proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
So, my bard in IWDEE has a lore score of 50. My Mage has a score of 32. The bard was not able to identify a battle axe +1 without a spell, but the Mage did, no problem. What gives?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Beats me. I've never seen that happen. Did you right click on the axe while it was in the bard's inventory?
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Doesn't intellect have something to say? Or am I totally wrong :P
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Intellect and wisdom both give a fixed bonus to lore. Bards get +10 lore per level, thieves and mages get +3 lore per level. A bard with 18 wisdom and intelligence would start at level 1 with 30 lore.

Each item has a lore requirement - if your lore is higher than that, you know what it is, if not, you have to use a spell. You can drink a potion of genius or the potion that boosts wisdom to temporarily boost your lore.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The mage might've had some other effect active.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @procco‌
    It's weird, since my bard could easily identify the battle axe +1 (a lore of 20 is needed to identify it).
    Maybe he was under some nasty effets?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I've been trying o make this happen again but no dice. I suppose it's possible I was actually not trying it with the bard to begin with.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    "Oy, Bard, why can't you identify that axe? What am I paying you for?!"

"Actually, I'm a barbarian. I can bury it in your skull if you like."
    Haha! Yep, something like that.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited November 2014
    Your Bard's Charisma is so high, he/she's actually got you all convinced that his/her Lore is much higher than it really is. Truth is, he/she can't even read, and he/she thinks "saga" is a type of female snake monster. But no one's ever called him/her out about it... UNTIL NOW!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Lord_Tansheron He think games about candy are sagas and spends his off hours writing reviews~ :p
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Your Bard's Charisma is so high, he/she's actually got you all convinced that his/her Lore is much higher than it really is. Truth is, he/she can't even read, and he/she thinks "saga" is a type of female snake monster. But no one's ever called him/her out about it... UNTIL NOW!

The secret is out! Run away! Run away to the library!
    *flees*
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    "What, the Karaethon Cycle? Sure I know that one, it's the thing with the guy doing the deed. Read it like a hundred times. Alaundo? Me and him, we're like THIS! Got a signed copy of everything, just left it at that inn in that town. Totally know all the stuff. Yep."
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The thing that bothers me about the lore system in the IE games is that weapons which are more powerful and well-known are harder to identify. That doesn't make much sense. The hardest items to indentify should be the ones that are obscure yet unique.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I don't think it's got so much to do with how well-known the weapon is, but its enchantments. For example, a basic +1 enchantment is relatively common and easy to recognize. High-end items like holy avengers and staves of power with multiple powerful and unique enchantments? Much harder.
    So going back to the original comment, I'm pretty sure I goofed and it was my thief looking at the sword, not the bard. I've been having her match wits with my Mage and she's coming out on top every time. I think the Mage is starting to get irritated with her showing off...in other words, nevermind. :/
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited November 2014

I don't think it's got so much to do with how well-known the weapon is, but its enchantments. For example, a basic +1 enchantment is relatively common and easy to recognize. High-end items like holy avengers and staves of power with multiple powerful and unique enchantments? Much harder.

Well, it obviously has more to do with how well known the item is because even though a mage knows more about enchantments than a bard, the latter has way more lore. However, both ideas kind of go together: the enchantments of a well-known weapon are probably well-known as well (I don't mean that it is well-known how to create that weapon but rather that it is well-known that Carsomyr is powerful against evildoers for example). I agree that basic enchanted weapons should be easy to identify as well.

Oh, and sorry for going a bit off-topic!
  • RedViiperRedViiper Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2014

The thing that bothers me about the lore system in the IE games is that weapons which are more powerful and well-known are harder to identify. That doesn't make much sense. The hardest items to indentify should be the ones that are obscure yet unique.

Imagine the Mona Lisa is in front of you. You know what it is but.... is it the real one or a copy. I imagine thered be a lot of +1 Carsomyr's. Similar to how there are a lot of fake rolex out there that the average person may believe is real. Thus the more obscure the object the less likely it is that there are counterfeits. And thus if you can I'D it you'd be relatively certain you had the real one..... honestly would be great if it were a percentile to guess it and if you failed it would randomly generate a fake name of the item and fake stats that would correct themselves after you use it. That's not a flameblade..... it didn't kill the troll and it freezes water... hmm I think it's a frostblade.
    The manual doesn't have much to say about lore, as far as I can tell. From what I understand, each item that needs tobe identified has a lore number attached to it. If the character's lore is equal to or higher than that number they will be able to identify it without using a spell or scroll. Is that it, or are there other factors?
    This is what I love about the IE games. I've been playing practically every day for about three years (I played the original a bit when it first came out but it was a bit much for me at the time, but picked it back up right around the time BGEE was first announced) and it seems like there's always something new to learn! I feel MY lore increasing...