Skip to content

Flail didn't drop ... problem? (SPOILER)

According to Mike's RPG Center, Morning Star +4: Defender OR Shocking Flail +4 is supposed to drop in Fleezum's room in the palace in Lower Dorn's Deep.

Neither of them dropped for me.

I built one of my characters around getting one of these.

Bug? Problem? Different drop location in IWD:EE?

Help?

Comments

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    Did anything else drop?
    According to this guide there are some other items that could possibly drop in that location. That's unfortunately the bad side of random drops in IwD, you might not get what you have hoped for.

EDIT
    Apparently both items you looked for were removed from loot table in HoW
    JuliusBorisov
  • DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2014
    According to a FAQ created by DSimpson and posted on www.Gamefaqs.com (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/256221-icewind-dale/faqs/8166) the following items are all possible drops from Fleezum:

[spoiler]

RANDOM ITEM - War Hammer +4: Defender (+2 AC, 15% resistances, removed
    (any 1 of these) in HoW)
    Shocking Flail +4 (50% chance 2d3 elec. dmg. 20% stun,
    removed in HoW)
    Demon's Breath (Hmr +3, 50% 2d3 fire dmg., 20% fireball,
    removed in HoW)
    Morningstar of Action +4 (+1 attack, 15% stun, removed in
    HoW)
    War Hammer of Phasing +3 (15% phase, 25% 1d4 cold dmg,
    removed in HoW)
    Morningstar +4: Defender (+2 AC, various res.)
    Static Star +3 (HoW only, 15% slowed, 25% 2d3 elec dmg)
    Sanctified War Hammer +3 (HoW only, 2 extra 1st level
    spells, 1 2nd level spell and 1 3rd level spell)
    Morning Star of the Gods (HoW only, AC +1, +3 THAC0/DMG,
    +1 WIS, +2 1st level spells, +1 2nd level)
    Star Forged War Hammer +4 (HoW only, +10% mag. res.)

***Note: The items that state "removed in HoW" are items that were possible drops in the original, pre-expansion version of IWD. The Heart of Winter (HoW) expansion modified many of the loot tables, including Fleezum's. If DSimpson is correct (and I have every reason to believe that he is), then the Shocking Flail +4 got removed as a possible drop from Fleezum by HoW. In fact, HoW appears to have removed the Shocking Flail +4 from the game entirely. The Morningstar +4: Defender is still a possible drop though.
    [/spoiler]

I have found all of DSimpson's FAQs for Infinity Engine games to be very accurate. Mike's RPG Center is a great resource, but it's not as accurate for IWD as it is for the other games I use it for (such as BG, BGII, etc.). This is most likely due to the random loot tables in IWD.

Since you did not get the drop you wanted, you have the following options:

1) Accept that you did not get the item you wanted from the random loot table and continue playing the game.

2) Reload from an earlier save and hope you get lucky and receive the item you want from Fleezum. You will have to reload from a save BEFORE you entered the area where Fleezum is. I believe that the game calculates the random drops for all containers/enemies when you enter the area (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So, save right before you enter Fleezum's area and just keep reloading that save until he drops the item you want.

3) Use EEKeeper or some other save game editor to give yourself the item you want in place of (or even in addition to) the item you actually got.

I hope that helps.

• sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
    JuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Random drops are, sadly, a big problem in IWD. While I love the idea of having more item variety without actually increasing the NUMBER of items in a game, I find that concept highly problematic in a system that not only forces you to choose weapon proficiency proactively before you get to where the weapons drop, but also makes that proficiency incredibly powerful with 3/2 APR on GM.

...and then you go to the treasure and get a dagger instead of a flail. You cleric can't even stab herself with that in frustration! >_<
    selkyraJLee
  • @Lord_Tansheron‌ did you knew what magic items you would get the first time you played BG? Now thats the same for IWD, just not the first time, but every time.
    JuliusBorisov
    But I don't want every time to be like my first time! First times hurt and are really uncomfortable, I like to refine my technique over time and make subsequent times more amazing and more efficient in getting to that final goal.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Personally, I like the item randomisation a lot and often use the appropriate mod in BG. It's a good change from the standard scheme of going X and getting Y every playthrough.

I like this feature in IWD although it may not let you make everything perfect each time from the stuff part. But that's the fun itself for me.
    lunarJLeesmeagolheart
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    I agree that the randomness adds alot to the replay value of the game, but to keep on track of the actual question asked:

It just so happens that I was in this area yesterday and the defender flail did drop for me. If you are really set on a certain item you can always save before entering the area and try a few times. Its random till you enter the area.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989

@Lord_Tansheron‌ did you knew what magic items you would get the first time you played BG? Now thats the same for IWD, just not the first time, but every time.

It's different here.
    You may not know what magic items you'll get, but eventuallty you'll be able to get every magic item, and the devs made magical weapons to cover every proficiency, so sooner or later your proficiency wil be pleased.
    In IWD the proficiencies were so different, so getting a morning star +4 or a war hammer +4 wasn't a big deal, but in IWDEE it's a big deal.
    If you keep finding short bows instead of long bows, it could be an issue.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There are enough fixed drops and purchasable weapons in IWD to cover all proficiencies. For example, the Longbow of Seth will always drop.
    @Fardragon‌ True, but you aren't always guaranteed the BEST weapons :P It's a major peeve for people that like to solve the optimization puzzle. But then again there's always the option of removing the random element via EEK or simply reloading, if that is your thing.

I do really like the idea of random drops in principle, as I've said earlier. Increased item variety without increased item availability is mostly very healthy for a game, I think.
  • sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The BG randomization tweak iirc works completely different, you can still eventually find everything. IWD randomization means you get different drops, ie not all the same gear.

This wouldn't matter other than these drops being some of the best gear around. I like the randomization when it doesn't poop on you too often, but getting non-magic swords instead of a cool +2 Longsword really blows. Some loot tables are more balanced, but some drop pure **** sometimes. The rebalancing was a double edged sword, though it took out most of the truly uber gear. Imho, if more of that uber gear had lore/unique art, it wouldn't have been as jarring. Did I just find a +1 Axe, a +2 Defender Axe, or Benorg's Truth??
    DreadKhan said:

This wouldn't matter other than these drops being some of the best gear around. I like the randomization when it doesn't poop on you too often, but getting non-magic swords instead of a cool +2 Longsword really blows.

This is definitely an issue. Sometimes the choice is between weapon+2/weapon+2/weapon+2 and simply different types, but there's also chests where it's like weapon+1/weapon+2/mage scroll and similar stuff. Getting a Ghost Armor Scroll instead of a Longbow+2 for example can really mess up your flow (actual example from the Temple of the Forgotten God).