Skip to content

Mage needed?

My current party (which I am pretty happy with) is a Berserker/Druid, Undead Hunter, Archer, Bounty Hunter, Bard, and Multiclassed Mage/Cleric.

So far, I am pretty underwhelmed by the mage side, particularly on HoF ... is a bard enough arcane caster for a party?

I'm considering a new party of:
Berserker/Druid, Multiclass Ranger/Cleric, Archer, Archer, Bard, Shadowdancer/Fighter, with the back 4 all going ranged w/ longbows, and the front two going dual scimitar and dual morningstar ... thoughts?

My current mage/cleric is basically just buffing, debuffing and summoning, with direct damage spells almost useless (although the lvl 1 chromatic orb is nice) ... I would think a bard could do that just fine? I know bards can't get lvl 9 spells, but I'm not there yet so don't know if a higher level mage is actually worth it. I'm coming from Baldur's gate, where they were king.
jackjack

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Mages are not needed - especially in HoF where spell damage doesn't scale to reflect monsters extra HP. As you say a Bard could do as good a job as well as providing extra duties only a bard can fill.
    jackjack
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Yes, I'm playing with just a bard. It's plenty.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Imho, mages are okay in HoF, but if you intend to actually rely on their damage spells, you need to run a very caster heavy party. Expect to use at least 4 times as many spells, so one issue is scrolls, especially early. I would think 2 sorcerers and a bard early, 2 dual to mages (or gnome milticlass) would give you enough slots to wipe out groups. You can substitute in an Avenger, or a 2nd Bard. More bard = more reliance on summons. You'd still want one pretty dedicated tank, who can be your thief/scout as well. Having evasion on a tank can be a fun tactic.

You should keep track of your spell slots, as you don't have as much to fall back on when you run out of spells, and mobs will likeky eat slots due to rounds of dedicated casting. Total damage will be really high, but spread out.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I think a mage is fine, and definitely contributes, but is hardly necessary. If you don't want to run one, I suspect you'll manage.
    ShikaojackjackBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I have a Bard and a Mage/Thief multi and almost feel like that's overkill for Arcane so far. I don't think I'll ever run a single class Mage. Sorcerer maybe, but I'm much more of a fan of the divine magic in this game.
    JuliusBorisov
  • superliminaldudesuperliminaldude Member Posts: 27
    I've been playing a run with two bards instead of a mage (one Skald and one trueclass) and I don't find myself missing the mage one bit. All my buffing needs are taken care of, and the bard songs are just so powerful. I feel like the high level mage spells just aren't as useful in this game, partially because high damage spells like horrid wilting has friendly fire. I was also horrified to realize that finger of death destroyed loot.
    jackjack
  • jigglefloydjigglefloyd Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2014
    When it gets to late game, mage's are really only good for summoning fodder and buffing your team, but most of the good buffs like haste, improved haste, improved invisibility, emotion: hope, emotion: courage can be learned by bards. Level 7 - 9 spells aren't really "needed". Chain contingency is nice, along with spell trigger, and spell sequencer and maybe an occasional timestop, but after my play through I don't think you need them even when playing HoF mode. If you have a good inquisitor or a high level cleric for dispel magic you don't need the anti-wizard spells like spellstrike or pierce magic. You also don't need Simulacrum or Project Image unless you're soloing.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Sorcerers are very fun, with insane difficulty and/or hof mode they can raise up to high lvls and start casting stuff like ice lance and summon water elemental while the mage still tries to collect lvl2 scrolls like blur, knock, etc.

Overall I would say a mage is a weak choice in IwD, especially if you play on higher difficulties they will starve for the scrolls. My sorc (on insane difficulty) is having fun disintegrating frost giants in the ice caves. It's like BAM! Giant demolished, +16000 xp gained. Fun!
    elminsterShikaojackjackJuliusBorisov
  • GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45
    I am currently playing a game with no wizard or sorc.... I have a cleric and a fighter/cleric but no pure mage class... I am doing just fine.. I would like a few more destructive AOE spells but as my cleric gains higher levels he is able to dish out some good AOE spells... plus raise dead really helps when I am getting overwhelmed.
    jackjackShikaoJuliusBorisov