Skip to content

Party composition re: Story/Roleplaying

Hey all,

first of all, my apologies for creating a new thread for this question - I didn't find any suitable discussion that would keep me from "stealing someone's thunder", so to speak. Plus, it might help anyone who has a similar doubt.

I'm trying to create a party to take on IWD, but the six character limit is driving me nuts, to the point of keeping me from starting the game.

See, I'm not into powergaming or min-maxing. I'm not afraid to create a Fighter with high INT, for instance, if it fits the picture I have of the character. What I do want is to create the best possible party to allow me to experience most of the game's "special moments" in the story. That is, it's been years I've played the original game, and while I don't remember the finer details of the plot, I know, for instance, that the game features barbarians, druids, Tempus. That might lead me to create a party with a barbarian, a druid, and a Cleric of Tempus, for special interactions.

That being said, this was the original party I was *almost* ready to play with:

01- Elf Kensai;
02- Dwarven Defender;
03- Human Cavalier;
04- Halfling Fighter/Swashbuckler (edited, of course);
05- Half-Elf Bard;
06- Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger;

While, as I said, I'm not much into powergaming, I do like to make a powerful party with spread proficiencies. I'd hate to come accross a powerful artifact only for mages and not having one to use it. So, while I was mainly content with my starting party, the lack of Arcane firepower started gnawing at the back of my head, but it's getting hard for me to get rid of any of these characters. Thus, I created six more characters as... possible substitutes.

07- Elf Wild Mage;
08- Half-Orc Berserker;
09- Human Barbarian;
10- Human Cleric of Tempus;
11- Half-Elf Avenger;
12- Human Dragon Disciple;

Now, I've been thinking, and I might be okay with switching my Fighter/Swashbuckler with a Wild Mage (and I would edit my Kensai into a Kensai/Thief with EEKeeper) and possibly the Cleric/Ranger for the Avenger Druid.

Would this new party help me "see" the most content I could see? And would it hold up against what Icewind Dale has to offer? I'm playing in Core Rules, not really interested in fancy challenges for now. If not, what switches would you reccomend based on the characters I created?

Thanks for reading all this, and thanks in advance for possibly putting my troubled mind at ease. :)

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If you switch the Kensai to a Wild Mage I think you'd be in good shape.
    I don't know if Barbarians have special dialogue but swapping the Dwarven Defender with a Barbarian would be nicely thematic.

You'll definitely want some kind of paladin and bard in your parties.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I would choose the Cleric of Tempus, make hime a half orc and put him into leader's place to see new dialog lines. Right from Easthaven and further in the game!

He could suit the first party instead of a kensai, I think :)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The trouble with half orc priests of Tempus is you get your strength nerfed when you use your special ability.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Fardragon‌

You lose only +1 damage when your STR becomes 18/00 instead of 19. I can't call it "nerfing". Instead you get additional HPs and THACO becomes much better. Moreover, starting from the 3rd level you can combine your special ability with DUHM thus becoming much more effective. The cleric who is not a priest of Tempus can get Holy Power much later - only at the 7th level.

Moreover, you don't use your special ability permanently, only for difficult fights and/or when you want it. Thus your 19 STR will give you good permanent bonuses (it's a lot better than 18 STR, the maximum you can get as a non-half orc, in terms of damage and THACO) in those cases when you don't use the ability and will greatly increase your carry weight ability.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You get much more bang for your buck if your priest of tempus is a halfing though. Shorty saves, elite slinging, an uber helmet, and 18/00 strength pretty mutch whenever you need it.

The only reason to choose a half orc is 19 str and 19 con, both of which are wasted on a Tempus cleric.