Skip to content

Canon Confusion

dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
So you awake in Irenicus' dungeon. You're tired, sore and imprisoned by a mad man. Then suddenly out of nowhere, Imoen appears and frees you from a cage. But wait a second. Wasn't she mauled to death by werewolves? You remembered seeing her body being torn apart and how devastated you were with her loss. And there's Jaheria, who offered to help you in your quest but you refused. What the heck is she doing in Irenicus' dungeon. And who's the big guy in the corner who talks to you like you're best buddies.

So what do you do? Even if you ignore Minsc and Jaheria as dopplegangers or some sort of trick, Imoen is a different matter. You can tell her to beat it, but once out of the dungeon she's one of your primary motivations throughout the game.

So, to those of you who don't use the canon party, how do you rationalize it? Is all of this one of Irenicus' tricks or have you gone slightly mad during your imprisonment. Maybe it was a dream all along and Imoen was never eaten alive by werewolves.
Post edited by demented on

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    First of all it's canon, not cannon.

I rationalize it as follows (assuming I didn't use any of them), Khalid and Jaheira were captured by Irenicus' men to interrogate them about you, this is reasonable as they were friends of Gorion as well as Harpers and presumably know something about you. Imoen is captured (possibly resurrected if neccessary) because she is a child of Bhaal and thus is necessary for Irenicus' plot. Minsc and Dynaheir is the more complex part of the equation, but there could be reasons why they were captured. Perhaps to interrogate them about interactions they had with you (like for example if you rescued Dynaheir from the Gnoll fort), or they may have ended up travelling with Khalid and Jaheira in your absence.

Regardless of how you rationalize it, there is no changing the choices they made when creating Baldur's Gate 2. Practical considerations prevented them from simply importing your party from BG1 so they had to make a choice.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Sceptenar said:

First of all it's canon, not cannon.

I rationalize it as follows (assuming I didn't use any of them), Khalid and Jaheira were captured by Irenicus' men to interrogate them about you, this is reasonable as they were friends of Gorion as well as Harpers and presumably know something about you. Imoen is captured (possibly resurrected if neccessary) because she is a child of Bhaal and thus is necessary for Irenicus' plot. Minsc and Dynaheir is the more complex part of the equation, but there could be reasons why they were captured. Perhaps to interrogate them about interactions they had with you (like for example if you rescued Dynaheir from the Gnoll fort), or they may have ended up travelling with Khalid and Jaheira in your absence.

Regardless of how you rationalize it, there is no changing the choices they made when creating Baldur's Gate 2. Practical considerations prevented them from simply importing your party from BG1 so they had to make a choice.

What are you talking about? I spelled it canon. You must have simply misread. It's really very obvious; I'm surprised anyone would make such an glaring mistake. I can only imagine how embarrassed you must be.

And I'm not criticizing the game for making that choice, just curious as to how others reacted to it.
    demented said:

I can only imagine how embarrassed you must be.

I think you can do more than just imagine...

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    demented said:

So, to those of you who don't use the canon party, how do you rationalize it?

I don't - I usually just forgo BG2 altogether nowadays.

Back when I used to at least attempt BG2 playthroughs, I would use the steps outlined in this thread to import my BG1 party: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31566/heres-my-bg2-beginning-updated

Still, I don't think that there's any solution to the Imoen issue, since she's just too integral to the plot in BG2.
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    I've started to drop Imoen off with Kahlid and Jaheria so they can babysit her during the Iron Crisis. They probably have all sorts of wacky adventures while my CHARNAME is off doing all the work. Naturally those three would be easy pickings for Irenicus when he finds out about the Bhaalspawn from Candlekeep.

Minsc, though, is a bit tougher. For my current run I did Edwin's quest and when I returned to Nashkel he went berserk and murdered Shar-Teel and Garrick before I fled. Thus, I assume Irenicus captured him far earlier than CHARNAME to extract information about fighting a Bhaalspawn. Kind of flimsy, but meh. Good enough for me.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    Irenicus obviously resurrected them. Dude has a lot of time, a lot of power, and mysterious motives. I don't know why he decided to resurrect the ranger who I stripped naked and ran through a gnoll camp as bait while I led Edwin to that witch he wanted to kill, nor do I know why he decided to plant fake memories in the ranger's head that make him think I'm his friend. All I know is that I can remind Minsc of old times by stripping him naked and making him try to punch out that otyugh.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

Just turn your brain off and enjoy David Warner's voice.

That's how I do it, at least.

To tell the truth, I can't turn my brain off when listening to David Warner's voice. He just sounds smart.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    FACE ME! FACE THE NEW LORD OF-oh wait, wrong guy.
    Nimran said:

"Silence dog. You have no purpose but to die by my hand."
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Sceptenar said:

Nimran said:

"Silence dog. You have no purpose but to die by my hand."
    I'm a ferret, not a dog. Jeez, someone give this guy the manual.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    edited November 2014
    Sceptenar said:

bengoshi said:

To tell the truth, I can't turn my brain off when listening to David Warner's voice. He just sounds smart.

"This is not to be contested. It seems logical enough."

I found that line interesting. He's definite that this isn't to be contested because it's kinda logical. It's like he's certain of what he's saying one minute, then doubts himself the next.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Sorry to go back to the original question but the way I deal with the Imoen issue is to mostly ignore her if I don't want her in my party.

I leave her alone outside Candlekeep and complete BG1 without her, ignore or 'forget' Gorion's advice about speaking to Khalid and Jahiera and don't speak to Minsc in Nashkel.

In BG2 I'm usually irritated (and embarrassed) to be freed by Imoen (my childhood plague) so I'm actually sadistically pleased when Irenecus kidnaps the right royal pain the backside (not, at this stage having any knowledge of our real relationship).
    However, I'm seriously peeved that Irenicus had the effrontery to pinch my companion (albeit unwanted) out from right under my nose - not to mention the whole imprisonment and torture issue - so I have good reason to pursue him to Spellhold and seek retribution.
    As for Jahiera and Minsc - I've never spoken to them, so I wouldn't recognise them. My alignment may, or may not incline me to release other captives that I find in the same predicament as myself (or need extra help/information).

Obviously all of the above is dependant upon my desired party structure.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I don't really worry about it - I accept it as one of the limitations of 90s computer game technology.

I guess to the extent that I do think about it, I assume that the canon party was what actually happened during the events of BG1. The various different games I played were just possible scenarios that never happened.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I guess I'd just say, 'a wizard did it', or immediately talk to the dungeon-be-gone guy and ignore it. But I think I always bring Imoen, I think even my chaotic evil PC found her adorable (even if he did kill her at the end just to make sure they got all that yummy God essence).
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    PC, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir are the official canon

But i believe you can make your own canon.
    It requires a bit of work, but its worth it in the end. Well for me anyway... I recommend the link SharGuidesMyHand posted on here.

My replay of my first revision of the canon party was the PC, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Xzar, Montaron

Having Xzar and Montaron broke the 6 party canon rule. So i pretty much role played it that after Sarevok's fall that Minsc and Dynaheir regroup with us as a part of eight party canon

This got me thinking... why stop there?
    So I decided for my new play through, i would trade Khalid for Ajantis and Jaheira for Branwen, since i have Montaron, i will trade Imoen for Shar-teel.

So my new canon will be that eleven adventures got captured and taken to Irenicus's dungeon.

PC
    Imoen
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Xzar
    Montaron
    Ajantis
    Brawen
    Shar-teel

To address plot routes for the new party canon

Xzar & Montaron - I highly recommend to decline Renfeld's request to be taken to Harper Base in the Docks District. Note: That this will cancel the Harper Plot.
    Ajantis - Do not take Keldorn or Anomen with you to Windspear Hills
    Branwen - Don't think the tutorial counts
    Shar-teel - She doesn't break plot here.