Skip to content

Asssassin Poison

2»

Comments

• GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45
    My Assassin dwarf kills fools quick with that poisoned bolt in the crossbow.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, but he's clumsy and has short fingers! ;)

Someday I think I'll try a max level Assasin to Cleric in BG2, solo of course. Does Use Any Item work still when you dual class? After youmget your Assassin levels back, you can proficiently use non-cleric weapons then, ie speed weapons with Cleric Buffs to offset your 1 pip in TWF... unless you Rogue Rebalance I guess.

This sounds incredibly cool to me.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2014
    HLAs aren't in IWDEE (unless you use EEkeeper).

Duel class characters only get HLAs for thier second class anyway. It's a multiclass advantage in ToB.
    jackjackelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    DreadKhan said:

Does Use Any Item work still when you dual class?

Last time I tried it, yes, UAI keeps working once you get it, even while your thief class is inactive in a dual. Probably an engine limitation. Been a while since I did that though, don't know if they fixed it in the meantime.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Probably by design. From what I've read, multi class cleric/thieves gain the ability to use bladed weapons, but can't put proficiency points into them. So a dual class cleric thief could put proficiency points into bladed weapons, and then regain those proficiencies when their thief class becomes active again.

However, bear in mind that UAI (and all HLAs) are not in IWD.

Imagine if you could triple class instead of dual class? Could be good for a solo run. Start off as a fighter, hit level 30, then level up as a thief, hit level 30, then level up as a mage. Would be even better if you could choose a kit for each class, just for extra cheese.

Kensai assassin mage with UAI anyone?
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322

My Assassin dwarf kills fools quick with that poisoned bolt in the crossbow.

Yea poison has helped tremendously.
    jackjack
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    cbarchuk said:

Yea poison has helped tremendously.

Playing on 'Core' rules also helps tremendously. Not only do enemies deal less damage, they are also much lower in numbers.

Don't get me wrong, playing on 'Core' rules is perfectly fine. It's just that when I'm worried if a class is actually viable on its own I'm usually talking about 'Insane' difficulty or HoF.

BUT as I said earlier, I'm *going* to try the vanilla Assassin on 'Insane' in my next run. I'm thinking of making it a single-class characters only challenge or something. No Sorcerers or Archers either maybe since they are basically on par with multi- and dual-class characters in terms of power.

Glad you're having fun though, that's the most important part of a game after all.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    Personally i prefer blackguard over assassin>fighter dual
    elminsterGoturalJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited November 2014
    Fardragon said:

HLAs aren't in IWDEE (unless you use EEkeeper).

Duel class characters only get HLAs for thier second class anyway. It's a multiclass advantage in ToB.

...hence me saying 'In BG2', as in, not in IWDEE. The thread made me think of the idea, and I didn't feel like making a new thread for my musings, so I'm sorry if I confused you.

@Lord_Tansheron‌ I suspected it might, since iirc dualing out of Cleric or Druid restricts weapons. But I wasn't sure. I don't see it as seriously powergamey, but you can Energy Blades and Poison Weapon, and obviously use spells for the THAC0 boost. I tried a DWing pure Assassin with keeper as a test ages ago, but he couldn't hit anything!

It would be a much better challenge than Thief to Mage for solo.

Edit: @kensai‌ note, if you use darts, Assassin to Fighter dart user is solid with GM, 5 apr without apr boost. Though darts really aren't very impressive in IWDEE iirc.
    [Deleted User]
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Gotural said:

Poison Weapon does work on ranged weapons, and that's what make Blackguards or Assassin dual to Fighter or Mage (Melf Meteor + Poison Weapon works .... yes :D ) so strong. Their damage output is unparaleled if the target isn't immune to the poison.

that's what I thought.. I'm going to try flanking somebody and see if it works with sneak attack ranged poison later if somebody doesn't beat me to it.
    By the way, I tried this and sneak attack doesn't work with ranged. I should have known it wouldn't, it's not like NWN where you can sneak attack with whatever (iirc), in IWDee sneak attack is like backstab you have to use a weapon that you can backstab with so normal thief weapon so should be only long swords, daggers, short swords, katanas, scimitars (and wakazashis, ninjatos), clubs and quarterstaffs.

So I guess you gotta melee for your sneak attack.
    jackjackelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Gotural said:

Poison Weapon does work on ranged weapons, and that's what make Blackguards or Assassin dual to Fighter or Mage (Melf Meteor + Poison Weapon works .... yes :D ) so strong. Their damage output is unparaleled if the target isn't immune to the poison.

that's what I thought.. I'm going to try flanking somebody and see if it works with sneak attack ranged poison later if somebody doesn't beat me to it.
    By the way, I tried this and sneak attack doesn't work with ranged. I should have known it wouldn't, it's not like NWN where you can sneak attack with whatever (iirc), in IWDee sneak attack is like backstab you have to use a weapon that you can backstab with so normal thief weapon so should be only long swords, daggers, short swords, katanas, scimitars (and wakazashis, ninjatos), clubs and quarterstaffs.

So I guess you gotta melee for your sneak attack.
    I'm doing a multiplayer core run and just got the new darkened glory for my assassin, oh my gawd it's a lot of fun with single weapon style!

Though I do wonder if I am getting the full 18-20 threat range correctly ...
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2014
    Wowo said:

just got the new darkened glory for my assassin, oh my gawd it's a lot of fun with single weapon style!

Yep, I have same problem. Could anybody confirm if this stacks with single wield bonus?
    Imho they don't...

If they don't stack for sure, we can partially solve this problem - fixing katana, giving her +2 critical bonus but -20 thaco to off hand
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    edited November 2014
    kensai said:

Wowo said:

just got the new darkened glory for my assassin, oh my gawd it's a lot of fun with single weapon style!

Yep, I have same problem. Could anybody confirm if this stacks with single wield bonus?
    Imho they don't...

http://imgur.com/pTbV51c

Seems our fears are unfounded, let's give it up for Darkened Glory!
    kensaismeagolheart