Skip to content

Optimizing The Canon Party

Recently I picked up BG:EE. I have never actually beaten the game, usually finding myself in a battle well over my head somewhere in chapter 4 or so... So, I am starting fresh and looking for suggestions. I am planning on playing through the game as a good character, using the Canon party of Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynahier. Now, in previous playthroughs of the game, I typically played as a Mage or Sorcerer, though I read somewhere that, given the canon team, the player character is more or less forced to be a Cleric just for survivability's sake. So my first question is; what sort of character works best with the canon party? I do have a pre-made Dragon Disciple (Sorcerer Sub-class) character with unusually high stats, but considering I was never able to beat the game before, it might be wise to go a different route...

Or, perhaps it's not a problem with the character, but an issue of being under equipped. That is also a very real possibility, as I have never really made it a habit of shopping, and I only recently realized that some of the best gear can only be obtained from shops, or else from specific side missions that I may have neglected in my single-minded pursuit of the plot. So, second question... What is the best equipment to use with the canon team? Where would I find that equipment? Are there any absolute must-do missions that would net me some mighty life-saving equipment? Any shops that I should keep in mind? Apparently Traveler's Robes and Splint Mail +2's aren't good enough...

Then there's the issue of development. According to the "canon" of the game, Imoen should be dual-classed into a Thief/Mage at level 6 or 7, but that would leave my party without any thief skills for a while... So I'm not sure that I'd end up doing that... I haven't quite decided, and would like some advice in regards to that. But what about the other characters? In my last attempt, I had Imoen with a short bow +1, Khalid with a magical longbow that I seem to forget the name of, and Jaheira never advanced to anything more impressive than a basic club and a medium shield +1. Could it be that I'm just not prioritizing my weapon proficiencies right?

I suppose all of that could be summarized with "If you were to play the game using the canon party, how would you go about doing it?"

Oh, also, this is entirely off subject, but I would like to import the character from this playthrough into BG2:EE as well, and I was wondering... There is a very clear canon party for BG1, but is there anything deemed canon for BG2?

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Most of the good stuff on along the main questline, though varscona is pretty standard. if you don't have that it's on greywolf in the nashkel mine area(not the actual mine).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I agree with pretty much everything mentioned above, but from your opening explanation I suspect the root cause of your problems is that you're just not getting your AC low enough. Personally, I concentrate on getting the best possible armour/shields for my characters before I start splashing out cash on weapons upgrades. For the squishy characters especially, the robe of the archmagi (as previously mentioned) and the shadow armour - both fiendishly expensive but not quest-dependant and well worth the money.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Khalid
    - long sword and longbow
    - use a shield, because low AC helps a lot in BG1. Plus, you'll still have 5 people with missile weapons while he goes ahead.
    - have 2 or 3 points in long sword and... 1 or 2 in bastard sword. If you find a shapeshifter bastard sword... hold on to it! ~_~

I forgot about possibly giving Khalid a shield, if at any point you get fed up with going on to the inventory screen there's a nice returning throwing axe somewhere in the game (thunderhammer smithy i think) this just gives you a decent ranged weapon that you don't have to enter your inventory to switch in.
  • SirxekoSirxeko Member Posts: 6
    I believe Prat drops that in the Candlekeep Caves mid- to late- game. Which will help a lot in the final fight, probably, but not too much up to that point. And yeah, that's probably my problem; focusing on offense over defense. Especially when I'm playing as a Sorcerer. Kinda a dumb move, I guess.