Skip to content

Recommend solo characters?

Hi,

I am way too impatient to manage a full party and can't stand just throwing the AI to play for me, which is why I soloed both Baldur's Gates. I want to do the same with Icewind Dale but I don't know how different IWDEE is from BGEE.

So, first of all I would like to ask if druids can potentially solo the game. I don't mind lowering the difficulty, cheesing certain fights or constantly reloading since it's my own choice to play with one character instead of six. And I don't necessarily want to use a certain multi/dual class combo that's proven to mow their way through the game (Kensai/Mage in BG).

I could also duo the game, use a sturdy melee character with a spellcaster to back him up. There just isn't much information about IWDEE yet, not nearly as much as the Baldur's Gate series.

Please help.

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    or a sorcerer, just make sure you choose the right spells each level
  • MabishMabish Member Posts: 4
    I read that there is no exp cap in IWDEE, but intead a level cap so triple classes are super strong, right?

And sorc/mage is always a great option, especially for cheesing with long range area of effect magics.

I might just make an exception and go with more than one character this time around. Do shapeshifting druids werewolf form get set to a static str/con values or should I pump up my str to do more damage? I recall werewolves being static in BGEE making them overpowered early on but rather useless late game.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    F/M/T or F/M/C are basically the #1 solo class without contest because as you already pointed out there is a level cap as opposed to an experience cap in IWD:EE. Once you get 'Stoneskin' it's going to be a cakewalk.

I would also recommend playing on 'Insane' difficulty. It's gonna be a bit tough early on but you get double experience which is pretty sweet on a triple-class character. Later in the game damage won't be an issue anymore for F/M/X.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    +1 for FMT.
    I think I'm going to try the F/M/C then. Would prefer a dual class though, since the kits are way more interesting than just a great-at-everything F/M/X. The problem is the part where you dual class and become super weak for a while. Would have to turn the difficulty down to story mode.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Mabish said:

I think I'm going to try the F/M/C then. Would prefer a dual class though, since the kits are way more interesting than just a great-at-everything F/M/X. The problem is the part where you dual class and become super weak for a while. Would have to turn the difficulty down to story mode.

That's always a bit of a dilemma for me too. I love the huge potential and versatility of F/M/X but thematically and from a role-playing point of view I would prefer playing one of the kits as a pure class.

F/M/X usually wins for me though because in the long run you're gonna fall in love with the versatile gameplay and all the options you have.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Mabish said:

If you don't mind a bit of EEKeeping, then you can have FMX with a kit (or even two)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    For an interesting twist I used BGTweaks to remove multiclass racial restrictions and soloed a gnome Fighter/Illusionist/Thief.
    Shikao said:

If you don't mind a bit of EEKeeping, then you can have FMX with a kit (or even two)

EEKeeping? Is that a mod or something?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    EEKeeper is an editor that can be used to change things like abilities,proficiencies etc. it can also be used to assign kits to straight classes or multi/dual classes.
    more than that I can't really tell you as i haven't used it that much.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    wubble said:

EEKeeper is an editor that can be used to change things like abilities,proficiencies etc. it can also be used to assign kits to straight classes or multi/dual classes.
    more than that I can't really tell you as i haven't used it that much.

I may just add a link to Official EE Keeper thread by it's author, @Troodon80‌.
    decado said:

For an interesting twist I used BGTweaks to remove multiclass racial restrictions and soloed a gnome Fighter/Illusionist/Thief.

Oh yeah, that's my favourite tweak. I unlocked all classes for all races in addition to allowing human to multi and non-human to dual in BG series. I plan to do the same when I get my hands on IwDEE. I really like Paladins, but it gets bit boring to be always human... =P