Skip to content

IWD Evaluation

2»

Comments

• misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2014
    I don't agree with the "shit enhancement" parts, just the stick to IWD bit.

I guess I should replay the original again. Honestly, I did not notice any real differences besides the kits. I play for storyline and this game doesn't have it. Of course, the original IWD, IWD:HoW, and IWD2 do not have much either. Just a straight linear progression along forced maps with no pure exploration.

If you are really interested in a more "freeplay" type game then listen to my comments (and stick to BG:ToB and/or BG:EE), otherwise judge for yourself.

Oh, the ability to play well on newer and different platforms is nice. Still wish linux would get full support.

Id
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

I don't know what you are talking about, yuan-ti mages always supposed to cast stoneskin.
    If they didn't, then it was a bug in the original. Their script's first action is to cast it (in both games).

Maybe i'm wrong, but does stoneskin spell existed in the old IWD? There's some time since i played it, so i'm kinda confused if this spell was in old IWD or not.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    kamuizin said:

I don't know what you are talking about, yuan-ti mages always supposed to cast stoneskin.
    If they didn't, then it was a bug in the original. Their script's first action is to cast it (in both games).

Maybe i'm wrong, but does stoneskin spell existed in the old IWD? There's some time since i played it, so i'm kinda confused if this spell was in old IWD or not.
    Yes it was.
    ShikaojackjackJuliusBorisovatcDave
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I only said 9 because in my opinion there is no game in the entire world that is 10/10 perfect.
    (But this game come pretty close. :p)
    jackjack
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    kamuizin said:

So, here i am again. I didn't got the game yet as one feature that i found important isn't implemented (Joinable NPCs)

No NPCs is not a lack of a feature, it's a design decision. They didn't want to add joinable NPCs, not they couldn't or didn't have the time.

It's like asking why it wasn't completely updated to 3.5E rules. Because that's not how the originals were and that's not where they wanted to go with it.

IWD is all about creating a party of nobodies like in PnP, not the story of one character that finds other people to join him/her.
    Shikaojackjack
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    IWD:EE is a great game. I love the D&D ruleset, and I love the IE games. I had never played IWD1 prior to playing IWD:EE, so it was awesome to see the game modernized and updated.

They did a great job of integrating the kits, new spells and new items, and it is very playable in its current form. Few bugs that I have seen, and works nicely in high resolutions.

The original game sadly I don't think is up to the caliber of IWD2, BG1 or BG2 sadly, but then, this is still a good enhancement of that game.

However...... the problem with IWD:EE is that BG2:EE exists.

Look what BG2:EE brings to the table when compared with original BG2:
    Loads of bugfixes (and some new bugs, I'll grant you)
    New kits
    New fully voiced NPCs with their own quests. New areas and towns for those quests.
    New items for those NPCS, and new items obtainable for other party members
    Black Pits 2 campaign - new areas, new voiced characters, new battles, new storyline

What does IWD:EE have new to it?
    Kits ported from BG2:EE
    Spells ported from BG2:EE
    Engine changes and modernizations ported from BG2:EE
    Restored quests - but no new areas and no new voice work. No "new" quests either.
    Restored items
    New items for the new classes (monk etc)
    Some new dialog for classes and races that were not in the original game.

If you look at the work that went into BG2:EE, it is far more. It is far more of an enhanced edition than IWD:EE is. Heck, the entire Black Pits 2 is like a few more hours of gameplay! How many hours of gameplay does each NPC add?

Whereas, in IWD:EE, most of the enhancements came from BG2:EE. There is very little new original work in IWD:EE. There is very little changed from the original. What I mean here is that, there were changes that they could have made that would have improved the game, but would require deviation from the original. Balance changes is one such example, another might be joinable NPCs, another might be a less linear plot. I am disappointed that they went to the trouble of making an EE but did not modify some aspects of the original game that needed improving.

Sure, they might have been contractually prevented from doing so - I have no idea what the contract entails, I know that similar changes to the BG series were prohibited. And I know that any changes might have polarized the fan base - some might have loved the changes, others might have hated them. But I think this is the risk you take when undertaking a creative project - not everybody is going to like your work all the time. I would have liked it if they took a little risk and did something daring.

As it stands, I enjoy IWD:EE and am glad I bought it. I'm just a little disappointed that it clearly did not receive as much love as the BG series did.
    kamuizin
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I haven't played yet, but the engine impromevents are awesome.
    ShikaololienJuliusBorisovCluas
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    With 89 votes so far the average score is 7.53
    JuliusBorisov
    Archaos said:

kamuizin said:

So, here i am again. I didn't got the game yet as one feature that i found important isn't implemented (Joinable NPCs)

No NPCs is not a lack of a feature, it's a design decision. They didn't want to add joinable NPCs, not they couldn't or didn't have the time.

It's like asking why it wasn't completely updated to 3.5E rules. Because that's not how the originals were and that's not where they wanted to go with it.

IWD is all about creating a party of nobodies like in PnP, not the story of one character that finds other people to join him/her.
    That's how you feel and how you understand the concept. In this point we agree to disagree and also, the reason why i didn't brought the game yet. But it's not part of the discussion, it's there just as the reason of why i didn't got the game yet. There's 2 threads (one is a pool) to we discuss this, and i will be happy in work this question there, not here.

IWD:EE Joinable NPCs - A vital question and Plebiscite for Joinable NPCs - (this doesn't comepls the devs)
    elminsterjackjacklolien
    I was thinking in antecipate the purchase, but with the ration between Dollar x Real (Brazil) this going to be a bit hard.

The normal variation is 1$ to ~1,75R$, however atm it's 1$ to 2,60R$, which pratically doubles the game price.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Tell that to Russians. From the start of the year our currency has lost 30% (!) to USD...
    kensaielminsterjackjack
  • The € is strong in comparison to the $ so buying in the USA is cheap for us.
    jackjack
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I really like the EE. I really liked the original.
    I'm currently waiting for a few bugs to be crushed. Some minor changes annoys me, but it's hard to go back and play the original, I'm very comfortable with the quick-loot and zoom functions... :)
    Shikao