Skip to content

Here's how to use custom portraits in IWDEE

Comments

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    ^ Just tried it. Works fine. Good job @NoTra :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    meagloth said:

Am I correct in saying that that should be in applications->IWD->show packet contents?
    @bengoshi‌

In your Documents library should be a shortcut to a folder called Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition. That's the folder you want.
    lolienCrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Dee said:

meagloth said:

Am I correct in saying that that should be in applications->IWD->show packet contents?
    @bengoshi‌

In your Documents library should be a shortcut to a folder called Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition. That's the folder you want.
    Bengoshi helped me. I just remembered I promised to post something. (Sorry)
    Basically you do what @AstroBryGuy‌ posted a long time ago for bgee.
    The Beamdog installer creates a link to the folder "\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\" in your Documents folder. I don't think that the Mac App Store version makes this shortcut for you.

In Finder, click on the "Go" menu on the menubar. With the menu displayed, press and hold the "option" key. And entry for "Library" should appear on menu. Select that entry and a Finder window should pop up. Navigate to 'Containers -> com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition -> Data -> Documents'

Now, right click on 'Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition' and select "Make alias". You can now drag the created link to your Documents folder.
    (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/488507/#Comment_488507)
    Then there should be a portraits folder(though you may have to make one. It appeared automatically for me but I don't remember if that's cause I had made one and forgotten or it created itself.
    JuliusBorisovlolienCluasKetkallz
  • TopparWearTopparWear Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the path to where one has to create the portrait folder for a mac?
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    @TopparWear‌ In your Documents folder is a shortcut for 'Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition'. Create a folder called 'portraits' there.

Unless you have the MAS version, then the answer is literally in the post above yours.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Does anyone know the path to where one has to create the portrait folder for a mac?

Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.icewinddaleenhancededition\Data\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition
    JuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited November 2014

@TopparWear‌ I posted that right above your post.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think it'll be safe to update the OP with this info:

~Mac OSX: create a folder named "Portraits" on /Users//Documents/Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition.~

(that last folder is actually an alias for the directory meagloth/jackjack mentioned)
  • ValferysValferys Member Posts: 47
    maybe i missed it, but i cant get the sidebar portrait to upload in icewind dale... the bigger one works, but i cant get the smaller one to work... sorry if i missed that explanation in the thread, but help is appreciated...
  • ValferysValferys Member Posts: 47
    Valferys said:

maybe i missed it, but i cant get the sidebar portrait to upload in icewind dale... the bigger one works, but i cant get the smaller one to work... sorry if i missed that explanation in the thread, but help is appreciated...

fascinating.. the issue fixed itself... apparently you cant use them until you are in the game and customize your characters... who would have thought?....
    Valferys said:

fascinating.. the issue fixed itself... apparently you cant use them until you are in the game and customize your characters... who would have thought?....

Well, that's odd. It works fine when i start a new game here on my machine ...
    lolien
  • Hot_MessHot_Mess Member Posts: 17
    I'm very interested in uploading custom portraits and I believe I've done everything that was instructed to get the pictures sized and put in the correct Mac folder but I still don't get the "Custom" option when picking the initial portrait.
    I'm running OS X Yosemite also.
    I've ensured that the folder name is lower case and I've even deleted and reinstalled the "portraits" folder.
    Could someone give some insight to fix this?
    Thanks
  • KetkallzKetkallz Member Posts: 19
    On my Mac, running OS 10.9.5 the instructions from @meagloth (a few posts above this one) worked fine . The portraits folder was already there, I did not have to create it myself.
    Good luck @Hot_Mess
    JuliusBorisovmeagloth
    Much appreciated @Ketkallz but I'm unsure how this process for BGEE fits into creating custom portraits for IWDEE. I did what @meagloth said. What do I do with the alias file from BGEE? I've dragged into my documents but still no "Custom" button when selecting portraits. If I downloaded this from Beamdog instead of the App store, would that make a difference? Troubling
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Hot_Mess I hope this thread http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/613043/#Comment_613043 can help you.

There are two "Documents" folders in OS X...a general one and one hidden under "Users", and that's the one you need.
    edited March 2015
    Hot_Mess said:

Much appreciated @Ketkallz but I'm unsure how this process for BGEE fits into creating custom portraits for IWDEE. I did what @meagloth said. What do I do with the alias file from BGEE? I've dragged into my documents but still no "Custom" button when selecting portraits. If I downloaded this from Beamdog instead of the App store, would that make a difference? Troubling

Hi @Hot_Mess,
    I bought IWDEE from the App store so I don't know about the beam dog version, but I think I start to understand where you get it wrong, @meagloth talks about the BGEE folder which in this case should be the IWDEE folder. So this is the path I followed (it's basically the same process @meagloth describes except for IWDEE instead of BGEE):

-start your Mac, left-click on "go" in your menu bar, with this menu unfolded press the "alt" key and hold it. "Library" should appear in the menu, click it and the appropriate (library) window should open. In this window open containers\com.overhaulgames.iwdee-macos\Data\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\portraits.

Here you put the custom portraits you want to use in the game. You should find the requirements for the portraits in the first post of this topic (size and file names). In the game you will see a large "Custom" button under the the standard portraits (either in the beginning of the game when you create your characters or in the game when you choose to customise them. I sincerely hope this helps.

PS: don' t do anything with the Alias file from BGEE! :smile:
    JuliusBorisovHot_Messlolien
    Thanks for the help @Ketkallz but alas, I cannot figure this out. I navigated to the portraits folder you directed and all of my formatted pictures are there but still no "Custom" option when choosing a portrait. I verified each pics size also. I did notice that they're all JPEGs while the instructions state BMP. Does this matter since I'm using a Mac? Can I convert pics to bmp if I don't use Windows? Maybe this is my issue. I believe I've done everything to the T and still can't get the custom option.

Thanks again for the assistance.
    Hi @Hot_Mess. Yes, using JPEGs is your problem. The files have to be BMPs. You can convert the JPEGs to BMPs with Photoshop. Photoshop even lets you choose if you want a BMP in windows format or a Mac version. You have to choose the windows format. IWDEE will only read a BMP with windows formatting, I had to experience that for myself.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Yes @Ketkallz , that is it. I was able to change all the portraits to .bmp and finally the Custom option came available. Now I'm getting an error that all the pictures are too large. I've put them in the 420x660 and 169x266 pixel size but they're showing up at 135 KB and 832 KB. I'll eventually figure it out but I truly appreciate the assistance.
    I owe you a tankard of ale or a flagon of mead.
    Axes High!
    JuliusBorisovKetkallzlolien
  • NoTraNoTra Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,

In case you did knew, Pillars of Eternity is out, and I updated my tool to crop portrait for it !

Go to notra.fr/portrait.php and click on PoE radio button, then upload your portait, crop it and download zip file containing Large and Small crop well named. You juste have to put it in the right folder and boom !

There you go !

Informations about portrait in PoE down below :
    Installing
    Each portrait comes formatted in PNG and measures at 210 x 330 pixels, with the smaller in-game UI portraits measuring at 76 x 96 pixels.

There are two separate files for any given portrait. You can name them anything you want but the filename must end in _lg.png for the large version of the portrait, and _sm.png for the small in-game UI version of the portrait. The file names must match, so for example if you have a portrait you want to implement into the game, it'll be made up of two files:

example_lg.png

example_sm.png

You'll want to copy the files into the following directory depending on whether the portrait is for a male or female character:

\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player\male

or

\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player\female
    JuliusBorisovCluaslolien
    Thanks @Notra will try it soon : )
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2015
    Blergh nevermind I forgot you have to click custom
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited March 2016
    A little over a year ago, I posted on this thread about custom portraits I created from images I found on the Internet (you can find that post earlier on this page). This week I started making portraits again and figured I'd post an updated version of the zip file.

The new portrait pack contains over 2000 pics and is about 640 mbs big. Like I said in last year's post, I tried to keep it varied. In addition to including a few more Dragonborn and Tiefling portraits, there's also some creatures like Angels, Robots, and Vampires, among others.

As usual, all pictures were found using Google Image searches and the rights of the pictures belong to their respective owners. Since they were found using Internet searches, image quality may vary.

EDIT (March 5, 2016): Check out my latest port on this thread for the download link.
    Post edited by Swifty_Magee on
    fireandsteel73
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited February 2016
    A hint for anyone using custom portraits: if you're changing portraits (using customize>appearance on the character screen) and while the game is running you Alt-Tab and put a new portrait in the portrait folder the name of the portrait will show up but you'll get an error 'the portrait is too large' and it won't load. What you need to do, is exit the game and start the game again before switching the portrait.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited April 2016
    Just updated my portrait pack again, now containing over 4000 portraits total! Added over 2000 more portraits from my last version, and fixed up a ton of the old ones from the last version to make them look better (to me, at least). Added a couple new races, and I even found some good Shaman pictures, in preparation for when that class gets patched in after Dragonspear comes out.

WARNING: If you downloaded any version of my portrait pack in the past, you'll have to delete those past portraits before downloading this or you WILL have duplicates! Not only did I change some of the pictures around but I also made a new naming convention for the files. So if you download this on top of my last version, you'll pretty much have every old portrait twice. Cool thing is, because of how I renamed the files you now have regained access to the vertical scroll bar when choosing a custom portrait in-game. So now viewing/selecting a custom portrait is a bit quicker and easier than it was before.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/500snxyr98cj4zg/IWDEE Portrait Pack 3-05-2016.7z?dl=0 Updated the pack again, now with a few dozen more pictures. Link will be in my latest post.
  • Artix00Artix00 Member Posts: 11
    So, can you customize your portrait in the android version??
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Artix00 said:

So, can you customize your portrait in the android version??

Yes. Put them in: \Android\data\com.beamdog.icewinddale\files\portraits

Swifty_MageeJuliusBorisovArtix00
  • chuukoguchuukogu Member Posts: 40

Just updated my portrait pack again, now containing over 4000 portraits total!

I'm actually using many portaits of this pack now, and I couldn't help but notice that FHUMM02L.bmp, a female monk, looked awfully familiar. Have you been looking through certain deviantart galleries? :) I actually chose it for my current dark moon monk, too.
    edited March 2016
    chuukogu said:

Just updated my portrait pack again, now containing over 4000 portraits total!

I'm actually using many portaits of this pack now, and I couldn't help but notice that FHUMM02L.bmp, a female monk, looked awfully familiar. Have you been looking through certain deviantart galleries? :) I actually chose it for my current dark moon monk, too.
    I just choose pictures based on what I can find through Google Image searches; my selection process is literally going to Google and typing in "d&d [insert class]". When I picked FHUM002L (what the portrait is labeled now in the current pack), I did realize who the character was, though I've never watched the show before. I thought the picture looked too good to pass up, and I usually choose her for any female monk characters I create.
This discussion has been closed.