Skip to content

Noob looking for help

2»

Comments

• Hervin89Hervin89 Member Posts: 16
    Ok thank you
    Noob question but why can my fighter cast spells as special abiltys?
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited November 2014
    The departure of characters due to not fulfilling their quest is on a pretty rigid timer.

The conflict between antagonistic characters/pairs has a fair amount of randomness.
    The likelihood of conflict MAY be on a timer as far as the EARLIEST time it can occur. However, in the case of Xzar/Montaron vs Khalid/Jaheira, I HAVE seen the fight break out as early as ~the day after meeting up at the FAI, just after clearing up the local hobgolins, returning Joia's ring, etc. This seems to be pretty rare. I have also seen the group work OK well into the 2nd (3rd?) chapter, down to Nashkel anyway.

I can normally get an initial party of Imoen, Montaron, Xzar, Kahlid, & Jaheira at least to Beregost, and usually to Nashkel without a fight breaking out, even with a little bit of side action, like offing Silkie. Since talking to Berrun Ghastkill in Nashkel finishes the pick-up quest for both pairs, I usually then drop one pair in Nashkel, in case I might need some replacements later. Alternatively, there are a several of quality replacements in Beregost & Nashkel if you want to park either pair at an inn, or in Kagain's storehouse.

You probably WON'T get through either the Nashkel Mines, or the side quest to the Gnoll Stronghold without the Zhentarim agents and the Harpers coming to deadly blows. But I don't think it is impossible, if you are moving quickly, keeping the party busy.

There seem to be things to do to mitigate the likelihood of conflict.
    - The first and most important is Keep Party Active - hostile characters definitely seem more prone to starting arguments when the party is standing around in stores or sorting goods in storehouses or CHARNAME and Imoen are off separately looting inn rooms or houses.
    - Beyond that, try to keep hostile characters separate, both in the formation on the main screen, and in the character stack on the left of the screen. Having a character that all can tolerate in between hostile types seems to reduce the frequency of insults that can turn into the final fight. Admittedly, this works better with Kivan and Viconia, but it still seems to help with others.
    - Finally, dropping one pair or the other temporarily while the party works with someone else naturally stretches things out a bit, though I don't know if it actually reduces the accumulating likelihood of aggression, or just inserts a break in the process that the player's mind interprets as reduced tension. You have to be careful of this tactic though, because the timer on the NPC's quest may still be running, and if you pick them up again after the timer has run out, but without having fulfilled the quest, they may immediately walk out on you.

The above won't keep the two early pairs from eventually fighting, but it will stretch things out. Those strategies CAN keep Kivan/Viconia and Edwin/Minsc from fighting for a LONG time though, possibly even the entire game.

dreamrider
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Hervin89 said:

Noob question but why can my fighter cast spells as special abiltys?

On your task bar, there's a button on the end that looks like a four pointed star. That's where all the special abilities can be accessed.

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited November 2014
    You seem to be asking not HOW to get your Fighter CHARNAME to cast, but HOW COME it is possible.

I don't want to give too much story away, but there is a story related reason for the special abilities/spells. Your CHARNAME is just a bit special. Just go with it, and listen/read the cut scene material that comes along each time you get a special ability upgrade. Also pay attention to the things that Elminster says, obtuse as they are, and to any other story lore that you come across.

Among the books you can collect, try the Book of the Dead Three. it won't explain your question, but it will establish some pertinent background. Also, actually LISTEN to all the chanters before you leave Candlekeep.

BTW, you CAN find this answer if you scan these forums enough, or search for things like the Baldur's Gate Wiki. However, it will spoil part of the story play out for your first complete playthrough. Up to you.
    Post edited by dreamrider on
    Thanks again for all the quick answers,I have managed to finish the mines and during the process montaron died so I replaced him with xan,no fight broke out this time and I am having a much easier time all round.with regards to the special abiltys I was just generally wondering as it sed fighters can't cast but thanks tho and I let the story unfold.im thinking of dropping xzar as he doesn't fit being a evil char and thinking of picking up misc but xzar has some good spells now from scrolls I found. Decisions division!
    edited November 2014

You seem to be asking not HOW to get your Fighter CHARNAME to cast, but HOW COME it is possible.

Oh right, I misread that. Both BG1 and BG2 is one big story that gradually reveals who and what your character is. Yes, your character is special and it will take playing both games to really understand just what kinds of abilities you have. Ordinarily as a Fighter you wouldn't be able to cast any spells. Though they do get some special abilities once you get into BG2 and reach a very high level. They're not really spells, but they are used in the same sort of way.

As for Minsc, he's part of a team, just like Jahiera and Khalid. If you don't have his sidekick in the party as well, he can get quite upset after awhile. And don't worry about losing out on those scrolls, you'll come across plenty more as you play.

Just popping in to say thanks again! I'm well on my way in this game now and loving every bit! Finally my party ain't so squishy! Taking down the bandit camp felt abit more tactical then the randomness of fights when I left candle keep.
    Zanian said:

Right, that does it. I'm just going to move into a retirement home now.

All these young whippersnappers... *mumble mumble*

I'll join you on the patio after lunch and we can make ineffective passes at all the nurses.

• TsunadesSTRTsunadesSTR Member Posts: 12
    Hervin89 said:

Taking down the bandit camp felt abit more TACTICAL then the randomness of fights when I left candle keep.

I think this is in the end how all D&D games are, except playing on lower difficulties maybe.
    Have fun!