Skip to content

can cleric/thieves not backstab?

I just started a cleric/thief and when I tried to backstab with a Morningstar it said the weapon isn't suitable for backstab. Is that for all blunt weapons or just morning stars?

Also can you backstab from sanctuary?

Comments

• skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43
    ok thank you
    jackjackJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2014
    Redrake said:

I just imagined a scene where someone gets stabbed in the back with a club. The horror, the horror...

It's more of a backbash when it comes to cleric/thief ;)

And I ran into this same problem when I made a Stalker/Cleric they can only backstab with thief weapons even though they can use all the ranger weapons to begin with then limited by cleric. So in the end he's only good with the darn club and quarterstaff which in IWD doesn't seem to have a wide variety of great of weapons.
    ShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    There is a +5 club I believe in HoW. Not sure about main IWD as I wasn't looking. Plenty of flails and maces all over.

I would set to Dual Wield and just take the penalty hoping to find some kind of APR weapon for off hand.
    The Cleric can buff himself to fighter offensive levels and buff himself to a tank. Less APR than Fighter though. But you can probably get to 3 or 3.5 with buffs not including haste. But I would have to double check all of the cleric spells.

But depending on your party you shouldn't need him in the battle in beginning. Just thieving, healing, and buffing. Then once you get Draw Upon Holy Might and Holy Power, Entropy, Defensive Harmony, Prayer, Recitation, Bless you can start engaging in melee combat. In beginning you can leave him with the sling and animate the dead is a good cleric summon.

Plus buffs from your Arcane guy and if you have a Bard the thief/cleric Thaco will be plenty good even dual wielding. You are just behind in APR which isn't a problem if you have 2 other main melee guys with max APR.

I would say the strongest class could very well be the dual Fighter (or Kit) to Cleric for melee combat. A multiclass fighter/cleric I dont think has any advantages over a dual.

I haven't come across any good quarterstaffs but I probably was only thinking ohhhh a quarterstaff SELL SELL SELL!!!!!

Really should have added 3 pip in 2 handed weapons. They are kinda gimped now.

Shikao
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Also can you backstab from sanctuary?

Unfortunately, not.
    jackjackGotural
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I tried backstabbing with a quarterstaff and it said the weapon was unsuitable.
    elminstersmeagolheart
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    CaptRory said:

I tried backstabbing with a quarterstaff and it said the weapon was unsuitable.

BG used to do this if the staff was only supposed to be used by mages (not thief) and you were using UAI - otherwise it should work so may be a bug - what sort of staff?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    and did you backstab after hitting the enemy with a sneak attack.
    I think it was the conjurer's staff with a F/M/T. I'll have to do more testing I guess, I don't remember if it connected or not only the message that popped up.
    elminster
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2014
    there's not a ton of magic quarterstaffs or clubs in the game is there? :/
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

there's not a ton of magic quarterstaffs or clubs in the game is there? :/

Can grab the +5 from HoW, that would be good for sneak attacks.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    CaptRory said:

I think it was the conjurer's staff with a F/M/T. I'll have to do more testing I guess, I don't remember if it connected or not only the message that popped up.

Conjurer staff as in mage only? That would explain it - it has to be a melee weapon that can be used by a single class thief.

CrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisovjimmysdabestcop
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Wanderon said:

CaptRory said:

Conjurer staff as in mage only? That would explain it - it has to be a melee weapon that can be used by a single class thief.

Near Infinity to the rescue!
    elminster
  • skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2014
    What about a stalker, can he backstab with any weapon?

Edit:nevermind found the answer on another thread.
    jackjack
    Wanderon said:

CaptRory said:

Someone should fix that~
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    There is a tobex fix, that is not (yet?) Implemented in ee that allows one to toggle whether a weapon is suitable for backstab I believe. (And there are other lovely, but missing features like critical hit protection).

The only thing(s) really missing in the ee's--the only reason I ever hesitate to call them "enhanced"--is the absence of these features
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    did i read somewhere you can backstab with a mage summoned weapon eg:

phantom blade
    mordenkainens swrd
    bb of D

dont think ive seen those scrolls, except last one in burial isle, but as its lvl 9 didnt buy it yet.

Phantom Blade: longsword, enchantment +3, 1d10+3 slashing damage , +3 to Hit, adds Str bonus (if any), speed factor 2

Black Blade of Disaster: longsword, enchantment +6, 2d12+5 slashing damage , +5 to Hit, adds Str bonus (if any), speed factor 1 + various effects reported in the spell description

LOL imagine dual weilding those+potion of cloud giant str and haste. eeeeek :)

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Phantom Blade and Mordenkainen's Sword scroll locations.

Phantom Blade is available from Kieran Nye
    Mordenkainen's Sword is located in "Lower Dorn's Deep - artisan's district"
    ameliabogginsjackjackJuliusBorisov
    "BBoD, on the other hand, is a nice scroll for a thief "

that gotta be the definition of luxury item!
    jackjack
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

did i read somewhere you can backstab with a mage summoned weapon eg:

phantom blade
    mordenkainens swrd
    bb of D

dont think ive seen those scrolls, except last one in burial isle, but as its lvl 9 didnt buy it yet.

Phantom Blade: longsword, enchantment +3, 1d10+3 slashing damage , +3 to Hit, adds Str bonus (if any), speed factor 2

Black Blade of Disaster: longsword, enchantment +6, 2d12+5 slashing damage , +5 to Hit, adds Str bonus (if any), speed factor 1 + various effects reported in the spell description

LOL imagine dual weilding those+potion of cloud giant str and haste. eeeeek :)

You can't put created items in your offhand but stick the longsword of action there for an extra attack with the BBoD and don't forget the temporary GM that the spell gives. As hypotheticals go consider dualing an assassin with x7 backstab in BG2 to cleric, using UAI to use BBoD scroll and cleric buffs (especially max damage). You could even do it repeatedly via simulacrum helm. Would be worthwhile if so many things weren't immune to backstab.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    i tried messing about with sneak attak and phantom blade, was underwhelming.

atmo i cant cast mordenkainens swrd or bbod.

tried to give my f/m/thief the scroll(bbod) to cast by ee keeper, but for some reason wont let me cast it.

(f/m/t was a gnome so maybe illusionist cant cast it??)

ironically my bard can cast the scroll, but no use on the bard lol