Skip to content

The Tales Of Ironwood Orin and his Multi-National Troop

Currently I plan to follow this arbitrary set of Roolz I put together on a whim while writing this post - (subject to adaption as the spirit moves me :-) )

This will be a minimal reload playthrough with reloads only on party wipe, crashes, or bugs.

Occasional party member substitutions will be allowed in place of raising dead at my discretion but only with whatever experience the new member can put together in Easthaven so as the game progresses this will be much less likely to occur. (I don't use any mod tools such as EE Keeper or even console commands)

Meta gaming will be avoided at all cost or perhaps just kept to a minimum (mostly becuase I can't remember enough to be effective at it anyway)

The party will start out on Hard Difficulty and perhaps re-think this decision depending on just how hard it truns out to be. There is a very good possibility that the DM will allow the changing of difficulty levels for learning spells if the player gets tired of losing spells in spite of his mages 19 int...

The game may well be abandoned at any time on the players whim should he figure out the next best new party/character/playthrough concept that he must begin immediately - (based on prior experience one should expect this to occur often) :-)

Here is my story....

Ironwood Orin had been hearing vague rumors of trouble in Kuldahar and set about gathering an adventuring troop comprised of one representative from each of the major races of the Dales to investigate.

( This was of course with the exception of those dirty little halflings which he had never been able to abide after an unfortunate incident with one in his youth that he refused to talk about.)

Ironwood Orin - TN M - Half-elf - Fighter/druid
18-99/18/14/9/17/15 Scimitar ++, Club +, Dart +

Axel Hammerback LN - M - Dwarf - Dwarven Defender
18-93/17/19/10/10/8 Axe ++, Warhammer +, S&S +

Bijelli Blightbow CG - F - Elf - Archer
18-10/19/17/11/16/12 Longbow ++, Longsword +, SWS +, TWS +

Carmine CN - F - Human - Dragon Disciple
12/18/16/16/10/15 Dart +

Sniktel Slyblade CN - F - Half Orc - Fighter/Thief
19/18/19/9/14/8 Long Sword ++, Club +, Xbow +

Klara Kettlewhistle CG - F - Gnome - Cleric/Illusionist
12/18/18/19/17/8 Quarterstaff +, Sling +

The party has just arrived in Easthaven and is currently exploring the town gathering information and supplies...

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    A playthrough from Wanderon! We simply can't miss this:)

The party looks good to me: I hope the druid part of Orin will shine here. I respect your decision to go with the DD instead of a bard: although I adore bards in IWD, the pyromaniac will look not worse among the snows with all those cold creatures around.

I predict your archer will have 60+ percent of kills, especially with the longbow!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2014
    I love your character names.

You may not like the experience bonuses from the hard difficulty - I found that it made my party quickly outlevel the game content when I tried it, such that it actually wound up making the game *easier* than core rules.

I look forward to reading your posts. :)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    bengoshi said:

A playthrough from Wanderon! We simply can't miss this:)

The party looks good to me: I hope the druid part of Orin will shine here. I respect your decision to go with the DD instead of a bard: although I adore bards in IWD, the pyromaniac will look not worse among the snows with all those cold creatures around.

I predict your archer will have 60+ percent of kills, especially with the longbow!

The first group I set in the field did indeed have a bard and I waffled a lot between vanilla and Skald but the reality of having the bard only sing most of the time made me decide to leave them behind for now replacing them with a more active participant - however if we could get "lingering song" added to the game they would no doubt then join every group I put together LOL

I love your character names.

You may not like the experience bonuses from the hard difficulty - I found that it made my party quickly outlevel the game content when I tried it, such that it actually wound up making the game *easier* than core rules.

I look forward to reading your posts. :)

I did consider that altho I don't recall that being the case in other playthroughs (I typically went with hard and avoided insane) and I really like the idea of extra experience early on for my multi classes and Ranger if only to get them to the point where they won't get one shotted with a goblin crit! ;-)

From the journal of Ironwood Orin:

It appears things may be worse than I thought. We arrived in Easthaven to find Goblins and wolves sneaking right into the town itself. One bright spot was being able to help complete a quest of a water spirit who had an artifact she wished to return to the family of the man who had used it and what a delightful creature she was.

We also assisted Hrothgar by finding a lost caravan altho both Bijelli and Sniktel were taken out in the fight that ensued. Thank the Gods the Temple was close by and they were raised soon after. The fighting brought the team together nicely and altho each one of us is only just learning to use our skills effectively and wisely I see great potential here should we survive long enough to grow into it.

It's been a busy couple days but Hrothgar says we leave for Kuldahar at first light so the team is getting a good nights rest now - well except the dwarf who's still tipping ales and telling tales with another dwarf in the tavern - the surly fellow has the constitution of an ox but I suspect we will have need of every bit of it before this adventure ends....

--------------------------------------

Nothing much of note with Easthaven except our two deaths during the boss battle at the cave - money is short so we trudged back to retrieve the loot that had to be left behind the first time - I was pleased to discover the price of resurrection was quite reasonable at this temple I hope that trend continues - I had forgotten about the elves not being able to be simply raised which deterred me from using elves at all in the original.

Everyone but Orin got a level with at least one class and he is almost ready to get level 2 in both. I decided to go for max hps for the first few levels then we will take our chances with whatever we get. :-)

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    One thing is certain, in EE resurrection prices are way lower than in the original game.
    The party was engulfed in an avalanche started by a group of angry Frost Giants - all but Klara were lost - as she headed south planning to get as far from the dale as possible she noticed another party making it's way across the snow towards Kuldahar and she wished them well...

So ends the Tales of Ironwood Orin...

------------------------------------------------------

So I've had the game for 7 days and I have 31 characters in my folder LOL

I've been fiddling with different partys for a few days now and I think I may have finally come up with one I think I will play... Perhaps you will see a post about them tomorrow if I don't have a change of heart... :-)