Skip to content

Sorcerer Spellpick IWD vs BG

So, I got a sorcerer in the party. So far, I realized there is some difference between BGEE and IWD. Sleep is rather useful for a long time in BG1:EE, but I found it VERY useless in IWD:EE. It can knock out a few goblins, but then hordes of undead and after that, the creatures are too strong to be affected... So, anything else I should pay attention to, in terms of different spellchoices in IWD:EE vs BG:EE?
OzzyBotkins

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Redrake said:

And one thing is universal. In all IE games enemies suck at electricity resistance..

That rule helps until you come up against Abazigal and find him completely immune to your favourite spells, then it's time to be scared. (improved Abazigal)
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    wubble said:

Redrake said:

And one thing is universal. In all IE games enemies suck at electricity resistance..

That rule helps until you come up against Abazigal and find him completely immune to your favourite spells, then it's time to be scared. (improved Abazigal)
    The exception enforces a rule. It does not nullifies it.

smeagolheartIrbisathanas
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    I would say HOF offensive spells are useless or anything that effects enemies up to a certain Hit die. Its about buffs (improved haste, mass invisibility, etc) emotion spells and summons. Then the power words and symbol spells. All demi and shadow summons scale with Sorcerer.

The other difference from BG2 to IWD core rules or HOF is you almost go up against no other mages the entire game. So you really don't need any spells that protect your caster from opposing enemy spells or any spells that bring down enemy caster's defensive spell barriers.
    Cactus
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Cactus‌

I think this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36357/sorcerer-spells-in-iwd/p1 can be useful for you.

My personal choices will be:

Shield
    Shocking Grasp
    Chromatic orb
    Spook
    Charm
    ShikaoCactus
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    @bengoshi - Yes, thank you, very useful :) I tried to do a google search on this site, but it came up with a lot of BG:EE results instead.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Speaking of Chromatic orb it is good in core and HoF because at the very least you will probably get a stunned opponent out of it even late game.
    jackjackbooinyoureyes
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    As a rule of thumb, in IWD, it's best to avoid anything that does cold damage!
    Shikaolunarjackjack
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Fardragon said:

As a rule of thumb, in IWD, it's best to avoid anything that does cold damage!

And iwd has all those nice ice spells that are sorely lacking in bg. And that spiffy wizards ring that acts like a passive cold mastery from diablo 2. '+%15 cold damage done' (cm in d2 used to lower enemy resistance, but still..)

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Haste is not that bad.
    You just need to cast it to your summons instead of to your party members.
    jackjackMrGoodkatjimmysdabestcopselkyra
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    Pibaro said:

Haste is not that bad.
    You just need to cast it to your summons instead of to your party members.

Cast unlimited hordes of the undead with Project Image and then cast Haste on them. Good against anything.
    Pibarojackjack