Skip to content

Good Forums...

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Geeze, not this debation again!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Jean_Luc since this BG can we call it a "Tiax" complex instead of a "Messiah" complex. :P Sorry just when I read what you were stating my first thought was Tiax.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I hate you all! RARR!!! >:|
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    @LadyRhian
    I remember that particular individual ,really tempted to comment but don't want to pour oil over fire , but the thing was other people were very nice and polite to him ... So its true this is a very nice furom , I like it
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

Geeze, not this debation again!

I learned that debation is actually a real word with that thread.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited August 2012
    @Tanthalas, i know its offtopic, but where the hell is @HeroicSpur. Havent seen him in ages in here :(
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @lordkim

He's been around but he's probably busy posting in the beta side of the forum.
    ohhh.. ok... :O)
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I quite like it here too. So far at least, only been snooping around for a few days. Noticed a couple of... special people with very... special opinions, but for the most part the posters seem to be mature, reasonable and nice. I'm sure Boo would approve.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    edited August 2012
    Aye `tis a nice place to be, though i will admit to pissing meself when reading the train wreck of a thread @LadyRhian is referring to. first my head started to hurt, then i nearly died laughing. Good times.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Thanks @Tr_ond! It was certainly... lively. ;)
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    This is the most polite place Ive been on the internets.

This is the most polite place Ive been on the internets.

Omg, then you haven´t met @kamuizin :P

(humor)
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Even though Kamuizin disagree with me on most subjets, he his by far the most polite disagreer i've ever met !
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I'll take that both comments as an compliment... :)!
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Of course he disagrees agreeably. His portrait is that of a classy gentleman. Or...come to think of it where does that portrait come from, anyway?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Jean_Luc said:

Oh yes, I remember now. Caught it pretty late.

My personally most hated troll archetype is the "messiah". The messiah is a person with such visionary ideas about how things should be done (how a game/mod should be developed typically) that to defy him is cast thyself into the pit of the lowest kind of ignorance and close-mindedness. If the messiah's vision is not followed then the game/mod is predestined for failure unless the masses awaken to the Truth. The power and scale of the messiah's vision is only matched by his ignorance of the development process as well as his inability to recognize the basic impracticality of his ideas, the demanding tone notwithstanding.

To be fair, the messiah isn't really a troll, just very misguided.

I could name a few people that match that description, lol...But I ain't gonna do it. It's not worth it. I also think these forums are great. They are so...serene...in comparison to most other forums I've been to thus far. It's a very refreshing feeling and I hope the forums will stay this way. :)
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Maybe this is just the calm before the storm. Release date is (oh so slowly) getting closer, and things will start to heat up. Don't want that special day end up like what happened to Diablo 3. Now THAT was FAIL. In that regard, good thing BGEE doesn't require permanent server connection.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    CCarluNN said:

Maybe this is just the calm before the storm. Release date is (oh so slowly) getting closer, and things will start to heat up. Don't want that special day end up like what happened to Diablo 3. Now THAT was FAIL. In that regard, good thing BGEE doesn't require permanent server connection.

Well, luckily, BG doesn't require a persistent online connection. :P However I wouldn't be surprised if Beamdog's site got overloaded once everyone starts downloading.

CCarluNN said:

Actually, I'm afraid it is indeed the calm before the storm...After release I can very well see these forums become filled with complaints like 'this is it?', 'I expected MOAR', 'this or that companion SUCKS', 'I didn't get my money's worth! *tear*', 'We got cheated', etc etc. I REALLY hope this won't be the case or else I'll be avoiding this forum for a while too. People tend to whine quickly nowadays afterall...
    edited August 2012
    Alas, let's just stay positive for now, 'mkay? :)
    edited August 2012
    Double post, sorry.

I'm gonna buy myself a better phone...This is getting ridiculous. Stupid Nokia...
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Diablo 3 forums seem pretty polite actually and worth a place to have a discussion. Diablo 3 related discussion. Ofc there is no need to participate in troll threads. Selfmoderation and report buttons quickly renders trolls obsolete in others. Not much difference to this one.

Old Bioware forums, now that was a nightmare. By the time NWN was out it was one huge ragefest. Even more with NWN2.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

No doubt there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth akin to the end of the world for some fans.

I think BG:EE will be a win if
    • the game at least looks substantially better graphically via the filters (even though not re-rendered in HD)
    • the new zoom feature is useful and pleasing
    • the updated GUI is nice
    • the game runs fast as lightning on current OSs and works well on new platforms
    • the new NPCs and their quests are well realized
    • the new Blackguard kit is cool
    • new dialogs between old and new NPCs are added in the game's new areas
    • a lot of new DLC content is regularly released - new NPCs, quests, kits, etc.
    • some sort of official mod manager feature is added that facilitates custom mod use
    And I emphasize the support of custom mods because mods are the backbone of the game's continued popularity over the last decade. I think the success of mod support will be about equal in weight to all the official enhancements to the game.
    @Lemernis: I'll just be happy to get an updated version of the original game and get it to work properly on my Windows 7 PC. That's all I need.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    @Kitteh

Most fans will want more than that. :)

Although personally $18 just for that is worth it to me too. I haven't played the game in about 4 years now. So I haven't tried to run the game on Windows 7 yet. And I'll want the game to be compatible with Windows 8 when that's released, etc.
    @Lemernis: I just hope people don't put their expectations much too high. People are fast to judge something nowadays, and even faster to throw something away or keep on beating it with the stick of negativity. :/
    edited August 2012
    @Silence said:

Of course he disagrees agreeably. His portrait is that of a classy gentleman. Or...come to think of it where does that portrait come from, anyway?

Hmm reminds me of that sick dude from Mel Gibsons movie ; The Patriot.

Guess @kamuizin would know.

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Jason Isaacs interpreting Colonel Willian Tavington in "The Patriot" Movie.

At the time i first used the picture, 2008 or 2009 in another forum, i didn't know that.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    For the most part, I agree. Still, some people wanting to push personal values into BG land and getting offended when others differ with them. Particularly if religion, sex, race or gender come up. Anybody for the 'women shouldn't be warriors' thread that comes up if you mention femmes in any way shape or form? No? Good!

I think that BG fans are a little different than other demographics, really. D&D is a game that is more based on ideas and imagination of players, and always has been. Discourse about the game and what the rules mean, etc, makes it different, too. I would attribute the atmosphere of the forums more to that than some 'we're nice here and other forums aren't'.

Not that I'm belittling the topic . This disclaimer is to turn off the flame spray that will come otherwise. Just thinking aloud on why this might be different.