Skip to content

Dragon Eye Problem

Hi,

In in the Dragon Eye location. I've meet Yxunomei. I've got problem to kill her so i put one of the member near the doors. My whole team run and the doors were closed. Now i cannot open ... How can i kill the boss?

I'm playing on Mac. I don't have acces to cheats consol.
solarheck

Comments

• aerefrygtaerefrygt Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2014
    The doors will be closed while you are fighting Yxunomei, they will open once you defeat her

I had some troubles with this battle too. To win, I summoned creatures for fodder to keep the enemy busy (monster summoning, skeletons). You have to use +2 weapons against Yxunomei also fire and acid are effective against her (fire dagger +2, spells). The mage spells flame arrow and melf's acid works great against her too!
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I solved this by putting my party in the other room, and only having one going forward through the doors to speak with Yxuni. Then I retreated back to my party. Worked fine for me (and the doors were not closed then).
    JuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I just opened the door and sent my undead army into the room whilst the party waited outside. Villain monologuing gets so tedious.
    jackjackby_the_swordJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • solarhecksolarheck Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as zachar1984. I left the battle and now the door is locked and I am on the wrong side so I can't get to Yxunomei. It seems I am stuck and can't progress in the game. Any ideas on how to bypass this?
  • by_the_swordby_the_sword Member Posts: 42
    Yxunomei is one of the toughest fights in the game. Her entourage is deadly. I suggest that you prepare heavily for the fight in whatever way you can. Use every dirty trick at your disposal. I have done that fight with two different parties and always had a fatality.
    jackjack
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    EE made the battle a bit tougher. For one 3 yuan-ti mages teleport right next to you from behind (and they cast stoneskin and protection from missile quite fast).
    What I did was to retreat my whole party, but one in the small room beyond the bleeding chamber. After the one left behind intitate the battle, he/she retreats to that chamber too. I had my bard place a grease on the door and I waited. When the yuan-ti came they clustered on the door so I threw a fireball and a skull trap. Most yuan-tis there got killed. Yxie breaked through and I had my dwarven fighter/cleric (using Conlan's hammer) do the dirty work. Yxie dropped a cloudkill and killed my dwarf but not before he smashed her to the ground. All I had to do next was to pick up the pieces and move on (I raised my dwarf in Kuldahar).
    by_the_sword
  • GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45
    This bitch pissed me off pretty bad.... excuse my language but she is what she is... I run a full Dwarven party and she took em for a run... I beat her though, without use of the door glitch...

Basically I spammed that back room you can retreat into with my Bounty hunters traps... taking my assassin I sneak into her lair and poison my crossbow. Taking a shot at her to poison her I then start to retreat to the rest of my party... The snake wizards teleport strait into the traps instantly dying (this helps a lot).

If done right her armies will swarm you before she gets in there.... it was ESSENTIAL that I used my assassin again to get her to cast her poison cloud on her OWN GUYS.... once she fills up the first room with gas you retreat to the rest of your party in the tomb looking room.

Here I had my 2 clerics spam Fury of the Heavens I think? the one that rains down holyness and is a great AOE agaisnt evil creatures (as only my assassin is evil in my group, I can keep him from getting hit)... This eventually took out the melee snakes and bought me some time against the archers...

Using my Dwarven Defender to absorb most of the arrows I rushed out with my Barbarian (this is key... Barbarians are fast) and attacked the witch head on. He didnt last too long but that is ok... before dying I retreated back into her original room. Chasing my barbarian I decided to run around back and forth, using hit and run tactics while I micromanaged the rest of my party to kill the archers...

Once she was the only one left all six of my stout warriors pounced on her and my dwarven defender got the last hit taking her down. Not a dwarf was slain that day.....
    jackjackby_the_sword

Basically I spammed that back room you can retreat into with my Bounty hunters traps... taking my assassin I sneak into her lair and poison my crossbow. Taking a shot at her to poison her I then start to retreat to the rest of my party... The snake wizards teleport strait into the traps instantly dying (this helps a lot).

Yxie is supposed to be immune to poison. She has a hidden ring that should grant her 100% poison immunity and 50% fire and cold resistance. I do miss her stats from the original pre-HoW IWD. Back then she was immune to any weapon below +3. Meaning no +2 Arrows or Erevain Broadsword able to kill her.

elminsterjackjack
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34

Hi,

In in the Dragon Eye location. I've meet Yxunomei. I've got problem to kill her so i put one of the member near the doors. My whole team run and the doors were closed. Now i cannot open ... How can i kill the boss?

I'm playing on Mac. I don't have acces to cheats consol.

Try to load a previous save, quick save or the auto save.

To kill yxunomei, i'm doing like WebShaman :
    WebShaman said:

I solved this by putting my party in the other room, and only having one going forward through the doors to speak with Yxuni. Then I retreated back to my party. Worked fine for me (and the doors were not closed then).

And put all your tricks : skull trap, thief trap, grease, animate dead, summon monsters etc...

And deactivate the AI, control all your members.
    As I mentioned, I had a very easy fight of this on my last playthrough. I was doing the usual thing of sending animated dead ahead of the party, and they triggered the room to turn hostile whilst the party was well outside (this bypassed the dialogue completly). So I cast stinking cloud and spikestones into the room blind, whilst my cleric delt the three mages who spawn in behind the party with dispel magic followed by silence. The boss emerged from the cloud and was rapidly filled with +2 arrows by my Archer. The remaining unconscious mobs where easily delt with one at a time.
    jackjack
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Fardragon said:

rapidly filled with +2 arrows by my Archer

This strategy makes the fight almost trivial. Ignore Yxunomei with the rest of your party, and just stick the Archer on her. She won't get a single spell off and can be kited extremely well.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party can focus solely on the Yuan-Ti, mages first. If you're in good position, you can interrupt their Stoneskin casts, if not, a dispel can probably take care of it (other CC works well also). Once the mages are down, the fight is essentially over.
    Fardragon
    edited December 2014
    It's even more trivial when the rest of her team are unconscious!

I would say "someone good with a longbow" is even more important to have in your party than a thief!

You actually find the longbow of Sseth and some +2 arrows just before this encounter.
    jackjackby_the_sword
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    About to get to Yxunomei on my first play through. Guess my Archer will be doing most of the work, huh?
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    For me it was my dwarven defender doing a lot of the work. But I think my fighter/mage (acting as an archer) helped a bit :)
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    My party used some beserkers (Iron Horn of Valhalla) to keep the undead summoned busy. Unfortunately, they were only 2 (unlucky with the summon from my bard) so they got mauled pretty quick.

Is very annoying that in EE all enemy spellcasters constantly use hold person and dispel magic on your party. Makes is far less useful to buff before the battle. If at least Dispel allowed a ST.
    jackjack
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    jackjack said:

About to get to Yxunomei on my first play through. Guess my Archer will be doing most of the work, huh?

I just won that fight with the opposite tactic; my warriors all closed with Yxi while my ranged attackers destroyed her spell casters. So the main part of the battle was over on round two, then it was just cleaning up loose ends...
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    If i am correct the mages and her will just stand there doing nothing if you use improve invis.
    therefore 1 sorc with stoneskin/improve invis and spamming aoe will win the fight easily.

I am unsure whether you can be of sufficient level playing with a full party though
    mumumomo said:

If i am correct the mages and her will just stand there doing nothing if you use improve invis.
    therefore 1 sorc with stoneskin/improve invis and spamming aoe will win the fight easily.

That's cheesy. Recommending people to abuse the dumb AI is not a tactic at all.

Shikao
    I think it's a valid tactic if you are playing with a solo sorc.
    Wanderon
    Fardragon said:

It's still cheesy because the game was not balanced with solo characters in mind. It was balanced for a party and for players on normal difficulty.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Redrake said:

Fardragon said:

It's still cheesy because the game was not balanced with solo characters in mind. It was balanced for a party and for players on normal difficulty.
    That's why it's a valid tactic for a solo character ...
    It's an AI issue really. You might expect a bunch of non-to-bright enemies to be completely bamboozled by an invisible foe, but you would expect an enemy as smart and powerful as Yxunomei to be able to counter it. Certainly, in a PnP game she would. If I was designing from scratch I would add something like dispel invisibility or true seeing to her spell list, but I can see why doing so could be considered "interfering" with the original design.
    Fardragon said:

It's an AI issue really. You might expect a bunch of non-to-bright enemies to be completely bamboozled by an invisible foe, but you would expect an enemy as smart and powerful as Yxunomei to be able to counter it. Certainly, in a PnP game she would. If I was designing from scratch I would add something like dispel invisibility or true seeing to her spell list, but I can see why doing so could be considered "interfering" with the original design.

Oh I'd be totally onboard if she was given a true sight. All I'm saying is that when playing solo any tactic is a valid tactic as long as it's done without the console or modifying game files (cheating).

Hell, when playing solo even some files can be modified without losing all credibility if the perceived benefit of the modification still maintains the challenge.
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Add a glitterdust trap to the battle.
    jackjack
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm just gonna go ahead and assert that anything a valid tactic if it produces the experience you want. I'd never use Improve Invisibility to render that fight mostly meaningless, but that's me. Some people like doing that. Who are we to judge?
    Fardragonelminster
    On my last run through with Yxunomei, I used my thief to lay traps in the center of the passage way leading from the door to her chamber to the west door (the one that closes when the fight begins). I then used my mage to cast Skull trap in every corner of that hallway and along the southern wall. I made sure to get the traps as close to the corners and wall as possible. This allowed my party a walkway through the hall. I retreated to level 4 and rested with the escaped prisoners, there I memorized various combat spells and buff spells. When I returned to the door to Yx's chamber I opened said door but did not enter. I had the entire party retreat into the Bleeding room. The party buffed themselves with potions and I had the Cleric cast Animate Dead and sent a skeleton to enter the chamber and initiate the fight. We waited for the fireworks to ensue.

The Yuan-Ti mages teleported into the room and promptly triggered the Shull traps and Thief snares, what didn't kill them left them sore and easily to finish off by my sling-wielding Swashbuckler and Axe-Hurling fighter. The mooks that came through the door ate the remaining traps which left a handful of injured Elite YT's and a YT Priest. My Mage webbed the area outside the door then cast grease and commenced to fireball those remaining YT's that got stuck, killing them. That left YX, who tripped a skull trap and barely injured herself as she slithered into the bleeding room to fight us. I sic'ed the Fighter and Swashbuckler on her while the Mage pelted her with Magic Missle spells. Magic Missile is a good spell to throw at magically resistant foes because each missile has to be resisted as opposed to one entire spell (like Ice Lance for example). My Fighter hewed away with Eravian's Sword and 21 STR from a potion of Frost Giant Strength. My Swashbuckler was dealing with the summoned undead that had appeared between her and Yx, and the Cleric tunred them while my Fighter hewed away and my mage cast spell after spell (most of which were resisted by Yx).

Usually Yx casts Dispel magic to debuff the party so all characters had spares ready on had to drink, fortunately, Herewulf The Fighter was able to occupy Yx to the extent that she gave up on spells and focused her six arms on melée. The Swashbuckler was mostly useless in combat but her traps were a big help. Remember that a Thief can only set a certain amount of traps in a given area, about five or so. That area includes the hallway, bleeding room and the kitchen with all the chests in it that is adjacent to the Bleeding room.

Five traps.

The ability to backstab or sneak attack would have been useful. She did prove useful by disarming the numerous traps on that level. But she requires lots of buffs to be useful in many of the fights.

Eventually Yx ran out of hit points and died. I ran a party of four; Fighter, Mage Cleric and Swashbuckler. In earlier runs with parties of six, it is usually the archer who kills her or at least the majority of her minions. Usually someone dies, this time no one did.
    JuliusBorisovShikaoBelgarathMTH

On my last run through with Yxunomei, I used my thief to lay traps in the center of the passage way leading from the door to her chamber to the west door (the one that closes when the fight begins). I then used my mage to cast Skull trap in every corner of that hallway and along the southern wall. I made sure to get the traps as close to the corners and wall as possible. This allowed my party a walkway through the hall. I retreated to level 4 and rested with the escaped prisoners, there I memorized various combat spells and buff spells. When I returned to the door to Yx's chamber I opened said door but did not enter. I had the entire party retreat into the Bleeding room. The party buffed themselves with potions and I had the Cleric cast Animate Dead and sent a skeleton to enter the chamber and initiate the fight. We waited for the fireworks to ensue.

The Yuan-Ti mages teleported into the room and promptly triggered the Shull traps and Thief snares, what didn't kill them left them sore and easily to finish off by my sling-wielding Swashbuckler and Axe-Hurling fighter. The mooks that came through the door ate the remaining traps which left a handful of injured Elite YT's and a YT Priest. My Mage webbed the area outside the door then cast grease and commenced to fireball those remaining YT's that got stuck, killing them. That left YX, who tripped a skull trap and barely injured herself as she slithered into the bleeding room to fight us. I sic'ed the Fighter and Swashbuckler on her while the Mage pelted her with Magic Missle spells. Magic Missile is a good spell to throw at magically resistant foes because each missile has to be resisted as opposed to one entire spell (like Ice Lance for example). My Fighter hewed away with Eravian's Sword and 21 STR from a potion of Frost Giant Strength. My Swashbuckler was dealing with the summoned undead that had appeared between her and Yx, and the Cleric tunred them while my Fighter hewed away and my mage cast spell after spell (most of which were resisted by Yx).

Usually Yx casts Dispel magic to debuff the party so all characters had spares ready on had to drink, fortunately, Herewulf The Fighter was able to occupy Yx to the extent that she gave up on spells and focused her six arms on melée. The Swashbuckler was mostly useless in combat but her traps were a big help. Remember that a Thief can only set a certain amount of traps in a given area, about five or so. That area includes the hallway, bleeding room and the kitchen with all the chests in it that is adjacent to the Bleeding room.

Five traps.

The ability to backstab or sneak attack would have been useful. She did prove useful by disarming the numerous traps on that level. But she requires lots of buffs to be useful in many of the fights.

Eventually Yx ran out of hit points and died. I ran a party of four; Fighter, Mage Cleric and Swashbuckler. In earlier runs with parties of six, it is usually the archer who kills her or at least the majority of her minions. Usually someone dies, this time no one did.

Awesome sounding fight!

The amount of traps in an area is 7.

I'd have thought that buffed up your swash and cleric would have done fine damage. At the very least your cleric should have been able to hit with Spiritual Hammer and there's a longsword of confusion +2 for the swashbuckler after the bug squashing iirc.

Sneak Attack isn't very useful against a boss as its s comparatively small amount of damage and you can only do it once. Backstab could be great if you run out to stealth and come back and stab in a fight like that. Generally though I find SA much easier to work with and I'd feel cheap swapping the rules to suit the fight.
    by_the_swordJuliusBorisov
    Thank you for the insight Wowo. I Specialize the Swash in Short sword. I kinda built this party early on, before I knew how to work the system. I only have four party members and I kind of based these characters off of P&P Characters that I have either encountered or played myself. P&P and EE dn't mesh all that well.

On the other hand, I am having a heck of a time trying to keep these guys alive. After finishing the Frost Giant area, I visited Hjolder and went to the expansion, then went into the Trials of the Luremaster, we were levels 9-12, we got out asses handed to us by the first encounter in the castle (I won't get into detail here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone else) but it was brutal. But running these misfits through the game is challenging. Everyone except the Swashbuckler is a vanilla class and so they are versayile but not very powerful on their own. The Fighter sees most of the action after getting buffed by the Wizard and the Cleric. The Swashbuckler can sout and place and remove traps and with the items that enhance spell slots, the Cleric and Mage can pelt enemies with spells. If the fighter goes down, the rest are toast. if the Swashbuckler dies, she's an elf so she costs a fortune to resurrect. If the Clerci dies, we have to hump back to town. Investing in Raise Dead and Resurrection scrolls saves time and money, especially at the higher levels.

I hope I have not derailed this thread too much? I should start another one about what to do to save a jacked-up party. Mostly I'd be asking for advice.
    JuliusBorisov

My Mage webbed the area outside the door then cast grease and commenced to fireball those remaining YT's that got stuck, killing them.

Wasted time your mage. Fireballs are good in general, but in that battle you were better off with potions of burning oil, which any character can use. You should've found at least 3 by that time. Use 3 at the same time from 3 different characters and you've cleaned the room.
    For some reason in EE grease and web have a shorter duration, so Stinking Cloud is a better bet.

by_the_sword
    You are correct Redrake. I figured that out soon after and equipped both the mage and the cleric with Burning Oil and Potions of Firey Burning and/or Explosions. But a 9d6 Fireball can still ruin a monster's day... Provided it is not resistent to magic or fire.