Skip to content

How do i make multiple installs on same pc?

About 5 years ago, i would make multiple installs of bg2(from cd) to faff about with mods and addon zones.

HOw do do this with this digital download bollocks?

IF i want it on a second pc as well, is that doable? eg for doin multiplayer game over lan or simpply to have a backup of the game incase pc #1 reaches zero hpsand cant be rezzed.

am hoping its as easy as just copying the folder?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014

About 5 years ago, i would make multiple installs of bg2(from cd) to faff about with mods and addon zones.

IF i want it on a second pc as well, is that doable? eg for doin multiplayer game over lan or simpply to have a backup of the game incase pc #1 reaches zero hpsand cant be rezzed.

You can certainly copy and paste the folder into a second PC (and have it work on both). You may also be able to copy your install folder (provided you aren't running it using the Beamdog client) into another part of your computer if you want to have one copy for mod testing and another copy for just regular gaming (but this I haven't tried).
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited November 2014
    `You can certainly copy and paste the folder into a second PC `

i was worried it would needed to be `installed`

eg it shoves stuff inthe registry and arcane placeslike that. *shivers*

SO you just need to shortcut the exe file from the folder to launch it?

I bought iwdee from beamdog, will that cause complications?

this is the first game i have digital downloaded, am oldschool and hate not having physical media :(
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

@ameliaboggins‌

I currently have my BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE on:
    - my PC
    - my laptop
    - my external hard drive

They work wonderfully well in both multiplayer and singleplayer. I've installed the game on the PC, then copied the whole game folder on the external hard drive, then copied it to the laptop. No matter what I run (either through the folder on the external hard drive or through the folder on the laptop), it runs just fine.

As long as you use it for yourself, it's fine.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited December 2014
    AM not much of a programmer, never have been tbh

I kinda assumed that while installin software it puts stuff int he registry or somewhere, that is needed in the boot up process. However i guess i misunderstand how a program launches? However good to hear twd doesnt need to be reinstalled every time...

Also am a bit suprised that someone hasnt written a program that makes mod editng, slick and painless. Maybe this would never occur to someone good with code. Ive seen such an installer on the everquest p99/emu community.

Think this could be worth looking at for IE modding stuff:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335

Think this could be adapted as the defacto installer for mods? Again, prgramer types dont get that normal people dont wanna work with dos commands type interfaces, and want proper gui programs to work with.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Maybe you could work it out so when someone downloads a mod - a geek shows up at your front door (via GPS) to come in and install it?? ;-)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited December 2014
    @ameliaboggins you can copy your game directory to any other folder (or computer) and run each separate install without a problem.

The only thing you'd need is to set up different shortcuts for your different copies of the game, each one pointing to the icewind.exe file that runs it.