Skip to content

Bonus character classes?

YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
Is there a mod that allows the player to have 4th or 5th edition AD&D character classes?

What I'm mainly interested in are the Invoker and Avenger divine classes. This doesnt mean the mage or druid sub-classes. The following are direct quotes from Forgotten Realms wiki:

Invoker
"Invokers, are divine spellcasters who gain their power through the direct touch of a deity, carrying with them a fragment of the god's divine power. This is unlike avengers, clerics, or paladins, who channel their prayers carefully through holy symbols. Invokers have no need for such tools, however, and their prayers come directly from their god and none of their power is lost through transition. Invokers use these powers to control the battlefield, smite foes from a distance, or empower their allies, making them quite versatile."

So basically they are the sorcerers of divine magic.

Avenger
"An avenger was an agent of one or more gods who sought to bring divine wrath unto the enemies of their divine patron. Invested with traditions both ancient and quite often secret, avengers served as a well-crafted weapon of their deity, finding the enemies of their faith and striking them down. Of all a god's agents they were the most deadly, marked and empowered by rituals of investiture similar, but not identical to those that which marked the training of a cleric or paladin."

I think this means a paladin with more offensive abilities and alignment isn't limited.

There are other classes like Warlord, Swordmage, Shaman, Warlock and Psion.

The other thing I'm interested in is 4th or 5th edition spell lists. I would love Hammer of the Gods for my cleric as well as using cantrips.

Comments

• AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    1.Invoker seems to be a renamed Favoured Soul. Unfortunately, it's not happening

2.Avenger kinda sounds a little like a Grey Guard which is something I've been meaning to do for a while but I haven't gotten around to even starting. And anyway paladins seem plenty offensive to me. As for alignment restrictions, it's fairly easy to get rid of them yourself. If you can't be bothered, I've posted a "mod" that removes all restrictions. You can find it in the IWDEE modding section (thread is called No Restrictions).

3.There are all sorts of Swordmages in the game already - various forms of fighter/mage dual/multi class. If that's not enough for you, there's the Eldritch Knight mod around here somewhere

4.From the little I know about the Shaman, I think Totemic Druid is close enough

5.For Psionicist, look for the mod Psionics Unleashed

6.I haven't seen a warlock mod which is why it's one of the things I'm currently working on. No ETA

7.Cantrips are featured in the mod Scales of Balance
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Silchas said:

1.Invoker seems to be a renamed Favoured Soul. Unfortunately, it's not happening

2.Avenger kinda sounds a little like a Grey Guard which is something I've been meaning to do for a while but I haven't gotten around to even starting. And anyway paladins seem plenty offensive to me. As for alignment restrictions, it's fairly easy to get rid of them yourself. If you can't be bothered, I've posted a "mod" that removes all restrictions. You can find it in the IWDEE modding section (thread is called No Restrictions).

3.There are all sorts of Swordmages in the game already - various forms of fighter/mage dual/multi class. If that's not enough for you, there's the Eldritch Knight mod around here somewhere

4.From the little I know about the Shaman, I think Totemic Druid is close enough

5.For Psionicist, look for the mod Psionics Unleashed

6.I haven't seen a warlock mod which is why it's one of the things I'm currently working on. No ETA

7.Cantrips are featured in the mod Scales of Balance

1. That's exactly what it is. Is there something about the coding that doesnt allow it? This was the one thing I was most interested in.

2. They are alike, yes, but Gray Guard is a prestige class that can only be picked by paladins. Avenger is a standard class, available on character creation.

3. Maybe I'll just go and change the F/M multiclass name to Swordmage. Eldritch Knight is actually an eladrin(noble elves)-only prestige class, and should only be available to elves. If I recall correctly, they should have access to Silver fire.

4. That's actually not nearly enough. Shamans can actually cast elemental arcane spells as divine spells

6. Let me know if you get around to that. Would be interested in playing that.

As for 5&7, I will look up those mods.

FR wiki home page: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Yannir said:

1. That's exactly what it is. Is there something about the coding that doesnt allow it? This was the one thing I was most interested in.

Sorcerer's spontaneous spell-casting is hard-coded to both the base class and to wizard/arcane spells. Even a Sorcerer with spells memorized through the priest spell book can not cast them spontaneously.

There was a kit-mod that adds the Favored Soul as a Sorcerer kit, though I don't know if it's been updated for the latest patch. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30543/mod-favoured-soul. That's as close as there is right now.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2014
    That kit was a nightmare to do for me and I've pretty much abandoned any further development for it. :P But I guess it should be working ok, with some quirks.
    What I would really want is an official new class from Overhaul, that'd be neat.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    dib said:

That kit was a nightmare to do for me and I've pretty much abandoned any further development for it. :P But I guess it should be working ok, with some quirks.
    What I would really want is an official new class from Overhaul, that'd be neat.

I remember that dissuasion. @dib‌ would you mind if someone else updated it and possibly developed it further? You have done so much work on it already and some of us are (apparently) masochists who find themselves suddenly eager to take on that nightmare :)

• dibdib Member Posts: 384
    @Grammarsalad Be my guest. :)