Skip to content

Spike trap does magic damage?

I have heard that spike traps HLA was kinda overpowered, I had the chance to try them in Black Pits2. Since some fights are rather challenging, it is okay to use them, I guessed.

I discovered that spike traps do magical damage. I was expecting them to do piercing or missile damage just like regular traps. But no they do magic damage with that yellowish-orange damage text in the message window and that 'khcishh!' Magic damage sound effect. These traps ravaged the ravager enemy who had amazing defenses and resistances to every pyschial damage, but apprently he had no magic damage resistance as a few traps were able to do 200-300 damage to him in a blink.

I find that spike traps doing magical damage on par with Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting rather silly. Plus they ignore magic resistance, too. And allow no save. Well, regular traps ignore mr too but they are just arrows, spikes or other mean sharp objects flying at the face of the enemy, no magic resistance can protect from this.

Was this like that in bg2 original? I wish spike traps did piercing or missile damage, it would make more sense, and a stoneskin could protect from them. This way they make no sense to me. Ability description says nothing to hint that it does magical damage. And magical damage is the odd damage type you just can't describe. Opening wounds, holy/unholy smite, magic missile, and skull trap do magic damage, they are negative or pure energy like? Then there is horrid wilting which does desiccation damage I guess, which the game labels as magic damage as well.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    It is true that traps are overpowered it should be nerfed somehow, how come you kill dragons with simple arrow traps? This isn't "lol of the ring" please.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    With enough arrows/swords/piercing sharp instruments even mighty dragons will fall. Then again they are immune to normal missiles so traps should do no damage to them.

But how does a spike trap do magical damage? Cuts into your soul?
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Pop a wand of magic missiles into that baby and you're good to go.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2014
    It certainly is a little odd that it does magic damage but is "spring loaded". :p

That said given that it does an average of 70 damage (the next closest of the non-HLA snares is 39.5 damage, and only half of that damage is physical damage) it probably makes sense that it does.

The fact that it bypasses magic resistance doesn't make a lot of sense either given that exploding trap doesn't.
    Post edited by elminster on
    edited December 2014
    Exploding trap does not bypass mr? Meh I am glad I did not take any as a hla. Time traps and spike traps are far superiour. I wish the game designers could agree whether a hla should bypass mr or not. It creates weird inconsistencies like, dragons breath bypasses mr but comet does not. A freaking comet drops on the drows head and he says 'lol, did not touch me!' -.-'

Melf's minute meteors, a parlor lvl 3 trick does bypass mr but mighty energy blades hla does not. And now spike trap bypasses mr and exploding trap does not? It would make sense that explosion ignored mr as it is not a spell, maybe some chemical reaction like a land mine or flame grenade?

Meh I will try to edit my game that spike trap does piercing damage, and exploding trap ignores mr:it can have some use against pesky drow in Sendai's Enclave this way, at least.
    edited December 2014
    lunar said:

Exploding trap does not bypass mr

I'm going to test it out in game.
    edited December 2014
    elminster said:

lunar said:

Yea it looks like I was wrong and it does. So I guess the fact that spike trap avoids magic resistance makes it consistent with all other traps.

Oh, okay then. Sorry I never saw an exploding trap in action, it just seems like a waste of a hla when spike trap is soo powerful. It is true that exploding trap can kill multiple foes, but any enemy that can be killed off by a fireball is no threat at those levels anyway.

Still, a spring loaded huge spike trap does magic damage? I think about the huge spike trap at the start of the iconic Raiders of the Lost Ark movie, where Indy dodged it and there was a putrified dead body impaled to the spikes, too. Now I can see something like that doing 20d6 damage. But magic damage? Noo that guy looked pretty impaled (piercing damage) to me.
    elminster said:

lunar said:

I'm going to test it out in game.
    Okay I could test too but now am a bit away from my laptop. I could check the trap in dltcep to see if it ignores mr.

Checked it out. Looks like Exploding Trap doesn't ignore magic resistance. I think it might have been changed in BG2EE, based on the fact that it is mentioned as doing so on playithardcore.
    elminster said:

Checked it out. Looks like Exploding Trap doesn't ignore magic resistance. I think it might have been changed in BG2EE, based on the fact that it is mentioned as doing so on playithardcore.

Weird. So it is as good as a fireball spell with a buffet effect? I guess it bypasses globe of invulnerability, its only saving grace. Still, too situational.

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Doesn't Spike Trap actually do true damage, not magic damage, such that even the rare creatures resistant to magic damage take full damage from it? That's what I thought, anyway.
    Jarrakul said:

Doesn't Spike Trap actually do true damage, not magic damage, such that even the rare creatures resistant to magic damage take full damage from it? That's what I thought, anyway.

Is there a damage type like that? I never knew. Next we should cast a protection from magic energy (6th lvl spell) on an enemy and lure it to a spike trap to test it.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Good idea. I happened to have a savegame in a good place to test that, so I just did. It turns out I'm wrong. Spike Trap does magic damage.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Two words: Rogue Rebalancing!

One of the things this great mod does is "fix" the trap HLAs... All HLA traps do non-magical damage as they're mechanical/chemical in nature.
    Spikes pierce, explosions burn and the new Acid Trap corrodes.
    (Oh, and Bounty Hunter traps do "unarmed" damage, causing KOs rather than kills.)

It also takes traps off Bards and gives them nifty sonic damage abilities instead!
    Jarrakul said:

Good idea. I happened to have a savegame in a good place to test that, so I just did. It turns out I'm wrong. Spike Trap does magic damage.

@Jarrakul‌ Nice work! Thanks! I would have been ashamed silly if the trap didn't do magic damage, lol.
    abacus said:

Two words: Rogue Rebalancing!

One of the things this great mod does is "fix" the trap HLAs... All HLA traps do non-magical damage as they're mechanical/chemical in nature.
    Spikes pierce, explosions burn and the new Acid Trap corrodes.
    (Oh, and Bounty Hunter traps do "unarmed" damage, causing KOs rather than kills.)

It also takes traps off Bards and gives them nifty sonic damage abilities instead!

@abacus‌ I know the mod and its superb quality. I play on Ipad though so huge mods that edit dialog.tlk are no-go for me without a jailbreak. I have its non-stacking potions of master thievery-perception component installed though. (Which is really another thing that needed a fix, too!) I might edit the spike trap to do piercing damage in my own game myself via dltcep for a quick fix.

• 314314 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2014
    I think in manual must be information about damage tipe. Its not so easy to understand what is the difference between "fire" and "magic fire", "magic resistance" and "magic damage resistance". For many reasons its some kind of secret, because spell and ability does not precise information about it.
    Use game logic i can suggest, that Druid "Entangle" spell and "Earthquake" bypass MR because entangle its plant sphere (something natural) like an Elemental(Earth) sphere. Much of it, both of these spells from alteration school. But only "Earthquake" bypass MR.
    Well. Back to cleaning i guess.
    Post edited by 314 on