Skip to content

BG Sequel still in Discussion?

I have been off the forums for a while and didn't see anything on this in recent discussion. Is Beamdog still talking about making a sequel or successor game in the Baldur's Gate series or is that off the map at this point? Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Thanks very much for the update. I've been traveling a lot this year so it has been a matter of months since I've browsed the forum and a longer period since I've actively contributed much of anything. I'll look forward to reviewing those links over lunch today!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    IWD3!

Wait sorry, wrong thread :)

The only future project that I think they've discussed with the community to a degree is Adventure Y. They have said they are interested in BG3 and that they have looked around at game engines presumably for use in a future game (not necessarily bg3) but that is about it in terms of sequels and stuff.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    Honestly, it doesn't seem like since they would need to use 5th edition rules. Not sure if the engine would be compatible or if it would even be a good idea to use the infinity engine.

If they have enough money and time, it may be possible but at the current patching pace, it would need 4-5 years.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    edited December 2014
    I'm hoping that a BG III happens but that another company gets the contract. Beamdog has indicated that they will retire the engine and therefore the 2nd ed rules.

I had expected that BD would get the rights and start making content -- instead they decided to port the engine to every possible operating system. Annnd that's why we are left with very little content. And patches that come every 9 months or so. Aerie was able to produce something in less time . . .

I'm rooting for a company that will:

1. Focus on content -- storytelling, adventures, magic items, monster and -- most of all -- well written NPCs

2. Keep the heroic feel of the original adventure. BG3 should feel like a Forgotten Realms adventure and not a call of Cthulu / Monte Cook game.

And, while I know the chances are about zero to next to zero --

3. Keep the EE infinity engine.